Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What little things will we miss on the 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm really surprised Tesla don't already do it

There are a number of things that it seems surprising that Tesla haven't done ...

Someone is setting some priorities somewhere of course ... and yet there are Easter Eggs in abundance (supposedly written in employee's own time ...)

Being able to read speed signs, on AP2+, seems, to me, a very significant thing not to have prioritised

Reactions: -DB- and RamsfanJim
Another one for heated steering wheel. Never had one but wifey would forget all its faults if she had that I am sure. Just in the way that I hope that cabin pre heat and cooling is going to save me from a few ear bashings when things don't work as expected ;)

It's funny reading the threads from new markets where Model 3s are just starting to show up. It seems like the same concerns/feature omissions come up, many of which I had a year ago. I was worried about about no heads-up display, no sunroof, no XM radio, etc. After 10 months of ownership and 18000 miles on the road, this stuff doesn't matter at all. There is no doubt the vehicle requires some getting used to, but once you're comfortable with the controls, layout, and features, the experience is simply awesome. It is hands down the most fun vehicle out there. There are others that may handle slightly better, provide a quieter interior, etc, but as an overall package, nothing in the market can touch it. Enjoy!

There are a number of things that it seems surprising that Tesla haven't done ...

Someone is setting some priorities somewhere of course ... and yet there are Easter Eggs in abundance (supposedly written in employee's own time ...)

Being able to read speed signs, on AP2+, seems, to me, a very significant thing not to have prioritised

The theory why they haven't implemented the ability to read speed signs is that MobileEye have the patent and AP1 was a MobileEye system...
US8064643B2 - Detecting and recognizing traffic signs - Google Patents

Reactions: -DB-
Isn't speed limit recognition a requirement for all future features? Certainly GPS won’t cut it and other manufacturers already have visual recognition - and it works very well too from what I have seen.

Plus I think it is a future feature in FSD.

Of course, V2I would make visual recognition mostly redundant whilst allowing vehicles to be better informed of changing environments, such as VMS and traffic signals.

Isn't speed limit recognition a requirement for all future features? Certainly GPS won’t cut it and other manufacturers already have visual recognition - and it works very well too from what I have seen.

Plus I think it is a future feature in FSD.

Of course, V2I would make visual recognition mostly redundant whilst allowing vehicles to be better informed of changing environments, such as VMS and traffic signals.
Works fine on Nissan Leaf, have to say I'd assumed it would be standard on all Teslas...

I miss the overhead 360 degree camera view. How Tesla missed that feature considering how many cameras they have I will never know!
Will also miss having a heated steering wheel, but not such a big deal when you can pre-heat the whole cabin anyway.

I loved the all-around parking monitor on the 2018 LEAF. Was lovely being able to see a view all around the car (not just behind). But it's certainly something I could live without. Indeed I do now, my I-PACE doesn't have that feature and it's the most annoying car to park that I've owned. It's the chunkiest car I've owned.

Regarding speed limit recognition, I found it quite unreliable on roads around me. Lots of temporary speed limits going on and they were sometimes incorrectly read or not read. It got a few 20s and 30s mixed up as well. Mainly worked just fine, though.

Reactions: RamsfanJim
I loved the all-around parking monitor on the 2018 LEAF. Was lovely being able to see a view all around the car (not just behind). But it's certainly something I could live without. Indeed I do now, my I-PACE doesn't have that feature and it's the most annoying car to park that I've owned. It's the chunkiest car I've owned.

Regarding speed limit recognition, I found it quite unreliable on roads around me. Lots of temporary speed limits going on and they were sometimes incorrectly read or not read. It got a few 20s and 30s mixed up as well. Mainly worked just fine, though.

I'm actually surprised to hear that the iPace doesn't have a 360 surround cam. Was it a paid option or simply not available?
I'm okay with the map based speed limit recognition. For the most part it works fine, although the speed database is quite out of date.

I'm actually surprised to hear that the iPace doesn't have a 360 surround cam. Was it a paid option or simply not available?
I'm okay with the map based speed limit recognition. For the most part it works fine, although the speed database is quite out of date.

It includes what Jaguar calls the "Park Pack (360⁰ Parking Aid, Rear Traffic Monitor, Clear Exit Monitor and Park Assist)". The 360⁰ parking aid isn't a camera, it just gives audio-visual warnings when you're close to objects at various points of the vehicle. It is useful, but nowhere near as useful as actually being able to see the space around the vehicle. I don't find it helpful for positioning the car when parking forwards, for example. Although it does help avoid bumping into stuff I suppose!

I just drive the base-spec S model on a lease. The top-end HSE model includes the 360° Surround Camera. Or you can add it to other models for £2,300 as part of the "Driver Assist Pack".

• Informative
Reactions: Peteski
It includes what Jaguar calls the "Park Pack (360⁰ Parking Aid, Rear Traffic Monitor, Clear Exit Monitor and Park Assist)". The 360⁰ parking aid isn't a camera, it just gives audio-visual warnings when you're close to objects at various points of the vehicle. It is useful, but nowhere near as useful as actually being able to see the space around the vehicle. I don't find it helpful for positioning the car when parking forwards, for example. Although it does help avoid bumping into stuff I suppose!

I just drive the base-spec S model on a lease. The top-end HSE model includes the 360° Surround Camera. Or you can add it to other models for £2,300 as part of the "Driver Assist Pack".

Thanks for explaining. So 360 camera is available as an expensive option on the iPace.

I've got used to the Tesla with just a rear cam and sensors, but still miss the 360 cam on our Nissan for super accurate parking. Not being able to see the front wheels when parking close to kerbs is not ideal and I miss being able to see parking bay lines at the supermarket. Should be less of an issue with the M3. The MX is a big beast to park up!

Reactions: EVMeister