TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

What M3 features will Tesla release/keep quiet

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by malcolm, Feb 28, 2016.

1. malcolm

malcolm Active Member

Apparently not all the information about the 3 will be made public on the 31st. But JB says the ones they do reveal will "wow everyone".

Possibilities include previous unlockable features such as Supercharging and Autopilot, but that doesn't seem enough of a "wow factor".

Higher performance than expected for the price? Longer range? Faster Supercharging?

2. gregincal

gregincal Active Member

Well there's what most people expect and what the Tesla fans on this forum expect. It would be pretty hard to beat the some of the expectations I've seen suggested here.

3. Adm

Adm Active Member

Creating impossible expectations is this forum's specialty! Of course Elon's tweets don't help either.

4. Fallenone

Fallenone Active Member

They could offer higher than expected mileage. Elon has always been emphasizing the 200 mile thing. Perhaps they reveal a base model that has over 240 miles?

For the keep quiet part, I think it could be autopilot 2.0. Seeing how they are on hiring streak of both software and hardware talents, when 2017 comes, they might be able to get to autopilot 2.0. Details I don't know. Autopilottable in cities?

5. Shopaholic

Shopaholic Member

May be the car will have a guaranteed future proofed for 10 years from date of purchase !

6. Piney999

Piney999 Member

The car will need to be the quickest sedan under $40k.

7. Morristhecat

Morristhecat Member

The next generation tech that JB refers to, is obvious to me that it will be LIDAR sensors for improved auto pilot.

8. ModelNforNerd

ModelNforNerd Active Member

When talking range, I think they're going to surprise us.

Early talk will tell us that they've made it to 200+, but w/Gigafactory advances, by the time the 1st cars roll off the line, the BASE model will be able to hit 220.

9. Bimbels

Bimbels GoldMember

I also hope the range exceeds expectations. One of the biggest hurdles of getting ICE drivers to convert to EV is range anxiety. I think Tesla needs to offer more range than the Bolt, so more than 200 actual range, for the base battery.

10. Jaff

Jaff Active Member

I'm hoping for a disintegration device to stop ICING of charge stations...but that's just me...

11. calisnow

calisnow Active Member

I'm with you - I think Autopilot 2.0 hardware will certainly launch with or before Model 3's launch (maybe as an option and not part of the base price). Whether or not it gets announced on March 31 is the real question.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't know if it's going to be LIDAR - but I agree with you that the "next generation" technology he's referring to is some kind of more advanced autopilot hardware than is in the current AP Gen 1. Maybe just more cameras but not LIDAR.

12. roblab

roblab Active Member

Agreed. The "Lidar" is the rotating whirly thing on top of the Google cars. I cannot see anything like that appearing on a Tesla.

On reading over again the Mobileye lecture and the Tesla ability to create software, it seems that all that is needed is maybe another camera at the windshield, and one in the rear. Maybe two in front aiming sideways, but the front camera is already wide angle and may be able to see sideways some. The current system already has the capability to read signs and see pedestrians and bicycles, only Tesla chooses not to be that complicated at present. It's mostly a software thing, allowing what Tesla thinks is currently safe.

13. Twiglett

Twiglett Single pedal driver

I reckon that M3 will announce with the regular V1 AP hardware that is currently fitted to Model S.
    However....
    I also reckon (using nothing but supposition!) that before the Model 3 hits production and its official release party, Tesla will plan to rev the AP hardware in the Model S then use THAT hardware as the base AP in Model 3 as well.
    That is at least 18 months away and given the rate of change we are already seeing on Model S it is well within the realm of possibility :)

14. raysspl

raysspl Member

The top of the line model will probably do between 3.8 to 3.9 0-60mph