Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What made you choose a Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As dozens of us settle in for a longer than expected wait for our actual Tesla delivery dates, I thought it'd be interesting to find out what made you choose a Tesla over other EVs.

I watched dozens of YouTube videos on a lot of electric vehicles and mentally shortlisted the Model Y because with two kids and a lot of luggage when going on holiday, the extra size over the M3 appealed; and the Hyundai Ioniq 5.

I wanted an EV that didn't feel like an ICE car, which a lot do.

The first time I test drove the Tesla MY, I was really impressed at how simple it was to drive (once I got over the terror of being in charge of a 60k car after driving manual cars all my life) and how different it felt. That coupled with the supercharger network was enough to convince me to go Tesla.

How about you?

Bought a model s unseen and untested in 2015.

I just turned up at a random hotel car park in 2014 when they had a Dutch demo car there. Didn’t even have an appointment for a test drive. I couldn’t drive it but it looked cool and that is the reason for the order.

More specifically. It looked nice, had amazing tech, I believed it’s the future of motoring, starting to come true and it’s big enough for my family.

MX too big for my wife to be confident to drive. MY is here and that too is on order for her.

Will like to swap to roadster when available in Uk.

Still love my MS

Bought a model s unseen and untested in 2015.

I just turned up at a random hotel car park in 2014 when they had a Dutch demo car there. Didn’t even have an appointment for a test drive. I couldn’t drive it but it looked cool and that is the reason for the order.

More specifically. It looked nice, had amazing tech, I believed it’s the future of motoring, starting to come true and it’s big enough for my family.

MX too big for my wife to be confident to drive. MY is here and that too is on order for her.

Will like to swap to roadster when available in Uk.

Still love my MS
Wow, that was a leap of faith!

As dozens of us settle in for a longer than expected wait for our actual Tesla delivery dates, I thought it'd be interesting to find out what made you choose a Tesla over other EVs.

I watched dozens of YouTube videos on a lot of electric vehicles and mentally shortlisted the Model Y because with two kids and a lot of luggage when going on holiday, the extra size over the M3 appealed; and the Hyundai Ioniq 5.

I wanted an EV that didn't feel like an ICE car, which a lot do.

The first time I test drove the Tesla MY, I was really impressed at how simple it was to drive (once I got over the terror of being in charge of a 60k car after driving manual cars all my life) and how different it felt. That coupled with the supercharger network was enough to convince me to go Tesla.

How about you?
If you fall in love with Tesla and planning to buy one that’s a great choice except that you are in the wrong forum.

My thoughts...
1) Teslas are designed from the ground up as EVs whereas many other EVs are modified versions of ICE models.
2) Beautiful simplicity inside; you realise that you don't need all those buttons and dials of conventional cars.
3) The supercharger network.
4) Last but certainly not the least, Tesla EVs are fun to drive. You can be really green and try to eke out each last electron, or if you want performance from time to time then OMG the acceleration is great!

Model Y,

Space/practically wise it’s in a class with the ModelX and iX (much pricier) and perhaps the Enyaq.

It then wins on technology, track record (not perfect but at least there is one), resale value, supercharger network, interior design (minimalist, glass roof, rear flat floor etc).

… and surprisingly delivery time. Most other cars are 12m+ if they are even taking reservations.

Reactions: MattM76
Despite the fact I wasn't a big fan and I personally think all the Tesla models are not that nice looking exterior wise and the build quality although is getting better but not quite there yet, the pros just far outweighed the cons for me so we're enjoying our MY.

The primary reasons that became a big deal for us to lean towards a Tesla MY was:

- Charging Infrastructure

- HUGE boot!
and yes we needed the extra practically to carry our camping gear which we wouldn't have been able to fit in a car of similar class such as the Audi Q4, Ionic5, EV6, Mustang Mach-E, Mercedes EQA.

- Infotainment System / Overall Tech

- Battery Tech / Range

- Refreshing Cabin (Just rewrites the rules of what a typical car cabin looks like)

- Crazy acceleration

Audi Q4 was actually our first choice but with the Tesla winning the above key points, we could not ignore the Tesla.

I had a few cars shortlisted with the Tesla 3 being one but not the favorite and as the miles per KW on many on my list quickly bore no relation to the supposed advertised range when tested by the independent testers/owners on YouTube everything quickly boiled down to Tesla giving by far the best KW/mile ratio and I suspect the same still stands today. My son in law and daughter already had Teslas which quickly made me realize that the charging network would make little difference to me due to being retired and a low milage user. I still think the M3+ China model was the right choice for me and is probably the most enjoyable car I have owned as it takes me back to the days of my first cars when any excuse was used to take them for a drive :) Being a tight Yorkshire man I have to admit the fuel cost saving also played an important part in my choice😂

We committed to going EV and the Model Y is the best option in its class. We've test driven twice and go into it knowing it has poor build quality, a host of idiosyncrasies and truly terrible suspension. But our second placed option was a 12 month old Mercedes EQC 400. Beautiful car, superb build quality, air suspension, but awful brakes, less tech' and wallows through corners. Finally, only Tesla have the super-charger network... for now.

Wanted to go EV as needed a decent size / spec vehicle and detested paying road tax penalty for over £40k. Test drove jaguar ipace loved it but they pulled the finance deal then decided that 3/ Y would work test drove both back 2 back and ordered the Y mainly for the space.

Originally got a Model X in 2017, in addition to the Renault Zoe we'd owned since 2013. We wanted something that could fit six people, to ferry around children and grandparents. Hardly ever did that, in the end!

I'd aspired to owning a Tesla for years. It's like an iPhone in comparison to those old Windows touchscreen phones - a generational leap.

I'm getting a Model Y Performance (if it is ever delivered) to replace the Model X, because I never wanted a car that expensive in the first place, but I could afford a luxury and also saw it as 'doing my bit to advance electrification'. I'm not going to get a different EV because the Supercharger network is second-to-none... Although I may change my mind once I have to start paying for it! My Model X has had loads of problems, the service is sometimes crappy, but the tech in the car is miles ahead of everyone else.

Also, flooring it at traffic lights never gets old. It'll be the one downside of everyone having electric vehicles - our car won't be special any more!

Originally got a Model X in 2017, in addition to the Renault Zoe we'd owned since 2013. We wanted something that could fit six people, to ferry around children and grandparents. Hardly ever did that, in the end!

I'd aspired to owning a Tesla for years. It's like an iPhone in comparison to those old Windows touchscreen phones - a generational leap.

I'm getting a Model Y Performance (if it is ever delivered) to replace the Model X, because I never wanted a car that expensive in the first place, but I could afford a luxury and also saw it as 'doing my bit to advance electrification'. I'm not going to get a different EV because the Supercharger network is second-to-none... Although I may change my mind once I have to start paying for it! My Model X has had loads of problems, the service is sometimes crappy, but the tech in the car is miles ahead of everyone else.

Also, flooring it at traffic lights never gets old. It'll be the one downside of everyone having electric vehicles - our car won't be special any more!
Would you consider the 7 seater model Y if it was already available, at the expense of boot space? Same use case as yours and was asking myself that the other day...