Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What made you choose a Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Would you consider the 7 seater model Y if it was already available, at the expense of boot space? Same use case as yours and was asking myself that the other day...

The six-seater is a clear winner for me, just because of how it feels. Not being able to fold the seats flat is occasionally a PITA, but as the kids said when we surprised them by picking them up from school in the Model X (that they didn't know we'd ordered): "it's like being in a plane!" That 'central aisle' definitely makes the passenger experience much better.

Reading that back, I'm astounded at how irrational that is, but I feel quite strongly about it :)

Would you consider the 7 seater model Y if it was already available, at the expense of boot space? Same use case as yours and was asking myself that the other day...
I’m not sure the boot space is affected that much (when folded flat). I assumed it just used up the small cable storage space under the deeper part of the boot. I’ve also seen lots of videos of people folding one flat and getting a chunk of the boot space back while carrying 6 people.

Lots of things happened at the same time....the stars all aligned...I was desperate to get rid of my Volvo and the thieves that service them...I thought that a plug-in hybrid was the way to go because I thought that more and more cities would ban ice cars...the hybrids turned out to be ridiculously expensive for what they were, not much of an ev and not much of an ice....then the Model 3 came into my ken and I realized that it was in my budget and had the range...because I knew I suffered from range anxiety as I already had an electric outboard motor and an electric scooter and bikes

Reactions: MattM76
1. The Supercharger system
2. The supercharger system
3. The supercharger system
4. The car is not extraordinary - boy racers really and not very well put together.
5. The car is bare inside - prefer a few hand controls
6. The gimmicks - not for me
7. The speed - probably dangerous
8. Efficiency and range - tesla have this about right
9. The Supercharger System
Losing the exclusivity of the System will be a Game changer and carchanger for me!

Was looking at a XJR supersport or F10 M5 back in 2015, but than for some reason tired a Nissan Leaf and a test drive in a P85 S.....the rest as they say is history :).

Since getting an EV I've found my focus on personal transportation shift quite radically away from wanting absolutely 'speed' to caring much more about efficiency and reducing my personal energy consumption.

This has my 'daily' EV now for 2years+, and this year so far it's covered 90% of my commuter miles. It does around 100 miles per kWh, no worries about parKing, never ever been stuck in traffic, and I charge it at work, absolutely love going to work these days.

52071277240_00f89c6c68_c_d.jpg

Our Tesla is the best car I have ever owned, but its no where near the best EV I own, and am finding it interestingly hard not to scratch the 'new' EV itch.... :).

pinarello-nytro-ebike.jpg

Last edited:
My dream car is a Bmw M3 Touring or a RS4 Avant... I love stealth performance and the abilty to traval with my family in comfort... BUUUUT.... Gas prices and car ownership taxes (Expecially for cars over 250hp) in Italy are to the roof, so it would be anti economical since i drive almost 30.000km per year (18600 miles).

We have a family business (So my M3P will be company car), we design and manufacture eletrical motors for the industrial automation... So it seemed logical to own an eletric car :D Expecially when i saw the performances! Having the same performances as a RS4 or M3, and not feeling guilty of destroying our planet at every brutal acceleration, sign me in!

Plus, i can charge it to full everyday at work... And that's a huge plus!

I had an extended vacation in California in 2016 and saw my first Teslas, in the flesh and close up. I had always had a yearning for one after reading various reports and when I returned home I immediately looked at Tesla inventory and chose a MS P85D. I have to say that blew me away in performance, quietness and all round low maintenance, plus free supercharging certainly helped. Sure it wasn't the cheapest of cars to buy but I consider it excellent all round value, especially taking into account the (however small) contribution towards being emission responsible. Three years later, I saw that Tesla had temporarily reduced their price for a new P100D and jumped at the chance. A small aside - I didn't tell any of my family that I had ordered the P85D and when I collected it phoned my son and asked him to meet me close to where we live. To say he was surprised is an understatement, however when I stopped for him to get in the car I had no idea how to unlock the doors and had to lower the passenger window for him to access the inside door handle - what a plonker:rolleyes:. 6 years on and absolutely no regrets.:D

Reactions: orangespoon
FSD sold it for me. I wanted a car to last decades, so it had to be futureproof. The AI and vision direction Tesla took makes the most sense to me. It will take years, but I think it can be cracked.

Not fussed about the speed, Chill mode is the best way to drive.

Following a tax refund following a redundancy I had some cash available. Coupled with having a PHEV for two years which is still worth nearly what we bought it for I started thinking about changing cars. When we bought the PHEV I wanted a BEV but they were too expensive and there were no estates available. There are still very few estates available!

I wanted to get a Tesla but I thought they were too expensive. So in December last year we went and looked at a Skoda Enyaq. It seemed fine so we ordered one expecting it to take 52 weeks to deliver. We can back out at any time with no penalties so it seemed prudent to get on the waiting list!

When the war in Ukraine happened it closed down the Skoda factory and it seemed we'd be waiting even longer for a car. I still wanted a Tesla really and some "man maths" showed it was actually affordable. So we test drove one around Easter. Wow! Ordered the next day.

So now I have 2 EVs on order with at best vague ideas of when either might be available!

Reactions: Toblerone
I needed a car to replace my XJ8-L. It was between the Ray Donovan Mercedes CLS 550 (I still like the styling a lot) and a Tesla Model S which I also thought was a beautifully styled car. I was very attracted to Tesla's technology including autopilot, and how fast the cars were. From there I floated the idea of both cars to friends and my adult children. My wife and friends told me the Mercedes was an obscenely overpriced indulgence, that I was not Ray Donovan, and that the Tesla would kill me, so I should just get a Lexus or Camry, or even another Jaguar. My adult children and their friends said "do you really want to be another old guy in a new Mercedes? Get the Tesla!"

So in mid 2019 the time came when I needed a new car in three weeks or less. Tesla had some great price reductions offering a $10K discount + $3500 tax credit, and free supercharging on inventory cars. So I ordered it online one morning using a credit card, without ever driving one or having arranged financing. Tesla had the car ready and shipped to Austin in a week, and I took delivery at home a few days later.

I have never regretted the purchase and was thrilled with the car - absolutely thrilled. No car has ever provided me with more enjoyment or been more interesting, or more trouble free. My best friend who said I would die in it went on a road trip with me and then bought one himself.

Reactions: Beasts and Bouba
I had a Toyota CHR and loved it when it was in full EV mode but hated it when accelerating hard for it high revving engine. Therefore I wanted a car that was in EV mode all of the time. But which one?? As I wanted one car to do everything it had to be a Tesla due to the supercharger network and the quite acceleration.
Am I happy with the Tesla? Yes.
Could it be better? Yes.
What would I change, if I could? Lower road noise, framed windows and quieter closing doors, proper auto matrix headlights, hatchback opening instead of a boot, emergency door release on the back doors, sensitivity control on the wipers, basic improvements in the UI (however these can be done OTA), better alloy wheel protection from wheel rash and then it might be the perfect car.
Would I get another Tesla? The jury's still out on that one but hopefully this one will see me good for quite a few years yet!

Reactions: Buzzliteyear