Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What made you choose a Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a Toyota CHR and loved it when it was in full EV mode but hated it when accelerating hard for it high revving engine. Therefore I wanted a car that was in EV mode all of the time. But which one?? As I wanted one car to do everything it had to be a Tesla due to the supercharger network and the quite acceleration.
Am I happy with the Tesla? Yes.
Could it be better? Yes.
What would I change, if I could? Lower road noise, framed windows and quieter closing doors, proper auto matrix headlights, hatchback opening instead of a boot, emergency door release on the back doors, sensitivity control on the wipers, basic improvements in the UI (however these can be done OTA), better alloy wheel protection from wheel rash and then it might be the perfect car.
Would I get another Tesla? The jury's still out on that one but hopefully this one will see me good for quite a few years yet!
5 months in and I have no regrets, just wish I had done it 3 months sooner.

I have a model 3 on order and got my first 3 month delay - most people are keeping their orders even with long delays - it seems like many features have been over promised to sell more cars - I wont use auto pilot until it stops sudden braking - owners seem ok being test drivers for the promise of self driving - why are Tesla drivers trying to fool their system with weights on steering wheel - and other shortcuts - I test drove a competition 3 -
Should be interesting to see Elon musk documentary on FX.

I chose to get a tesla m3 for.. broadly speaking, its simplicity. From the ordering process, to the car itself, it's so simple and hassle free. It's basically a fully loaded car as basic, no more stupid packages other car manufacturers have you go through and pay up. Zero cluttering inside, great visibility through windscreen, nice and simple yet does not feel in any way cheap. Touchscreen control surprisingly easy once gotten used to, love the ease of entering/exiting cruise control and autopilot without a gazillion buttons on the steering wheel like other cars do. One pedal driving is a dream, but have to admit at the beginning I got a bit "carsick" due to the constant jerking of decelerating/accelerating. App is amazing, so much control over the car, multiple ways to unlock/lock car, etc etc etc..

So in one word.. Simple :cool:

We had a prius for a few years due to the free parking for my wife who works in the city center, then an i3 REX (60-80 mile range) for 4 years and got used to running without petrol (even going to Cornwall, that was a charging funtime!).
Once lockdown hit and I didn't need to commute via train we figured we could go full electric if the range was right, and since it was my birthday I went for a red one as it's the best colour :)
We had to buy without test driving due to full covid lockdown time, but the i3 gave us a good idea of what it would be like and we already were used to pre-planning longer journeys.
I'm really glad we went Tesla as the charger network is so so so good, we've now done a few long range trips (twice to South Wales, Manchester and to the Lake District) and have never ever worried about running out of charge.

Reactions: Bouba
For me it was the supercharger network that was the clincher.

Wanted an electric with great range and massive luggage so can go camping on our summer holiday.

No off street parking so public charging only.

120 mile round trip to work!

Supercharger near work so can top up. The other bp charging point near the Maidstone supercharger had been broken for months.

Only viable options space wise were the enyaq or the Ioniq 5 - the 5 boot isn’t big enough and god knows if u can get an enyaq.

And electric for the tax - company car and fuel paid by the company.

1. The Supercharger system
2. The supercharger system
3. The supercharger system
4. The car is not extraordinary - boy racers really and not very well put together.
5. The car is bare inside - prefer a few hand controls
6. The gimmicks - not for me
7. The speed - probably dangerous
8. Efficiency and range - tesla have this about right
9. The Supercharger System
Losing the exclusivity of the System will be a Game changer and carchanger for me!
Hahaha. Very good! But I disagree. Number one should be "IT'S ELECTRIC." Tesla has been making this car for a buncha years now, and it's perfect for what it is. It is NOT a Honda or Toyota, thank goodness. They will give you knobs and levers like your grampa used to have fifty years ago, and if that's what you need, don't come looking for them here. Tesla, being electric, doesn't need a clutch or an oil and filter change. They don't need a muffler nor any of the exhaust system. They don't need a RADD e- atter, nor the gunk you put in one. Neither do they require a personal friend who does your mechanical work every few thousand miles, nor his shop. I've owned four Teslas and NEVER took them in for service in over 100,000 miles. How do gas cars compare with that? Tesla is not claiming they're extraordinary, but their acceleration definitely IS.

I don't know what hand controls you want, but you've got a hand operated steering wheel. What else are you missing? Lemme see... the rear-view mirror is made to be moved by hand. I guess I'm confused by what you call "gimmicks" as everything on my car is functional. My seat moves up and back and adjusts to my 6'4" frame, and the radio knobs work, though I don't use them. I guess they're just more gimmicks which we didn't have back in my day. There is a huge screen in the middle of the car that shows where I'm going and where superchargers are. Is that a gimmick? At least I don't need to unfold a huge paper map to check out my route. Is a paper map a gimmick?

I hear you say that they're "not very well put together". What do you drive? I have NO issues with how my S OR my 3 are put together. How can you care if there's a 1/32nd inch difference in panel gaps versus, who, Toyota? Who in the world cares? The wind doesn't blow into your face, does it? Nor does it whistle while you drive. The wheels don't fall off, nor does the headliner peel off and end up in your face. Not very well put together means nothing, other than YOU don't seem to like Tesla.

And you seem to be excited about supercharging. How about "charging at home"? Name one gas car that can fill up overnight in your garage. Besides being a major fire hazard, it won't happen. But worrying about other car companies using supercharging cannot matter. Tesla has said for YEARS that their goal was to move transportation to electric, and they were primarily working to prove to the other car companies that an electric car could be better than any gas car. By many metrics they have done this, and still many companies are unable to do it yet. Letting other cars use "our" system simply means there will be more electrics to choose from in the future. Maybe they'll put a "choke" on the dash that some folk feel they'll need.

Even battery prices are coming down, in large part because of Tesla's needing them. Methinks you complaineth too much.

Delivery time was the least out of the possibles. SUC was another point in it’s favour, finally lease cost was the cheapest of the possibles.
Now the SUC exclusivity is being removed then another manufacturer will probably get the nod next time. Especially as in 3yrs when the lease is up, other manufacturers will have caught up if not surpassed the range., and I do miss some physical buttons😂.

Delivery time was the least out of the possibles. SUC was another point in it’s favour, finally lease cost was the cheapest of the possibles.
Now the SUC exclusivity is being removed then another manufacturer will probably get the nod next time. Especially as in 3yrs when the lease is up, other manufacturers will have caught up if not surpassed the range., and I do miss some physical buttons😂.
In three years legacy car manufacturers will have figured a way to monetize electric car ownership so their dealer service departments don’t all go under

Reactions: cdub
First Anniversary of my relationship with my M3 Dual Motor tomorrow (22 May).

In April 2021 I looked at and drove a number of EVs, including the M3.
It was the only credible option, because it is a sports saloon not a Crossover and it has a usable range.
The supercharger network was the clincher. It still is.
And it is cheap to run... especially when compared with the Mercedes C63 that preceded it.

Unless you can do all your charging at home an EV is not, in my opinion, a viable alternative to an ICE...unless it is a Tesla.

First Anniversary of my relationship with my M3 Dual Motor tomorrow (22 May).

In April 2021 I looked at and drove a number of EVs, including the M3.
It was the only credible option, because it is a sports saloon not a Crossover and it has a usable range.
The supercharger network was the clincher. It still is.
And it is cheap to run... especially when compared with the Mercedes C63 that preceded it.

Unless you can do all your charging at home an EV is not, in my opinion, a viable alternative to an ICE...unless it is a Tesla.
Yes I agree...a Tesla is suitable for almost everyone (with the budget) but if you don’t have a driveway then you have to really want an ev

Why I went for Tesla - I seem to have spent my life switching between luxury big cars and sports cars - enjoyed every one of them, always went for top spec - it had to have everything - even if I was never going to use it and I liked cars that were a little bit exclusive or special (But I have had more standard cars)
Always liked performance though i don't drive super fast for most of the time - just the occasional blast - scare myself and return home with a big smile and feeling alive - what I didn't like was giving a car the beans meant everyone knew I was doing it from the sounds the cars made - and those disapproving looks - even a perfectly safe overtake and some drivers cant help but flash their lights and give you the "W" wave, also didn't like the annual VED cost for sitting in my garage most of the time since i retired - plus big performance vehicles are never economical on fuel even when driven like Miss Daisy. I have had my share of Porsche to the point I just don't see them as attractive anymore and my last ICE was the Focus Mk3 RS - 4 wheel drive, fast but hated all the pops and bangs.

I had been keen on the development of Tesla since that first roadster tested on Top Gear and then saw the release of the S - oh I so wanted it but £100K was more than I could afford for what I saw as a development vehicle - all the rumours were Tesla would go bust and be gone in a couple of years - so I held of buying but kept my eye on Tesla and Elon for a few years.

2015 and the talk of a new car the model 3, more affordable, great range, gadget heaven and the supercharger network was developing very nicely. I watched everything online I could and was assured Tesla is here to stay, The M3P ticked all the boxes and I started looking at a purchase on autotrader - wanted a bargain and knew exactly what spec i wanted and condition/mileage - so picky It took maybe two years to find the car I have. Never drove one, hadn't seen the car in the flesh as the lockdown was on, had the dealer send me a video of the car and did the deal - first time I saw it was when I drove to South London to pick it up.
Its a brilliant car, satisfies my needs 100% - sensible driving its a breeze and on the odd blast my smile goes from ear to ear - and there isn't a lot that makes you do that when your in your mid to late 60s, Free VED, charge predominantly from my solar panels - total cost to charge on superchargers in the last 14 months £48 - and the total KWhr used at home charging is £78 - but the solar provided probably £60 of that for free. And I run silently - no exhaust pops/bangs or the deep throated roar of an ICE being pushed.

Paid a bit more for it than i originally planned to do but absolutely no regrets, indeed I'm ordering a brand new one later this year as Tesla have offered me more than I paid for the car to trade it in. I am a bit OCD with detailing and my car is almost flawless, machine polished, Zymol Vintage waxed and just 7K miles.

Reactions: Bouba
I had an iPace which I bought in 2019, the car wasn’t that quick at charging and I really disliked the amount of unreliable chargers I had to coke across. It was my first major car purchase and I thought I’d keep it for a few years before looking into buying another car but unfortunately my car had to go back to JLR 6 times in the 2 and a bit years of ownership (one time they had my car for almost 4 months). My dad bought a model 3 (since then a model y) I was shocked with how quick it was charging and amazed by the tech involved within the vehicle (not a fan of the interior but it’s important for a car to be functional and reliable most for me) I’ve sold the Jag and I’m looking forward to collecting my own Model Y, looking back I severely regret not buying the Model 3 before purchasing my iPace

Edit: I also sold the iPace as the 3 year warranty was coming to an end, I want going to pay to extend it as I’d have to also pay extra on top to pay for the mobile app security features etc.

Was my first choice, but only because it was by far the best on the market in 2020. I was hoping my first EV would be German-branded initially.

I still think I made the right choice though so no regrets. I plan to keep it for quite a while but I don't think I'll be getting another Tesla after this.

It’s been time for a new car for me and the family for awhile, originally the Tesla wasn’t even on the list. Was set on either the EV6 or Ioniq 5, test drove both of them and whilst impressive compared to an ICE car, they weren’t actually practical for my family life (3 kids, 2 who use car seats) absolutely could not fit the kids in the back of the EV6.

Tried out a Model Y just for the sack of checking everything out and had the biggest grin on my face when I got home. My wife in fact noted that when I got back from the others I said it was alright and good. But I was excited with the Tesla.

A lot of it is also how the ‘sales’ pitch was handled. With the EV6 the sales advisor was 30 mins late, no apology just that they’re busy selling cars and he say next to me, tried to get to know me and my family, the usual sales pitch trying to relate himself to me etc. The Tesla test drive was the complete opposite, and as a millennial it was exactly what I wanted. ‘Here’s the keys, theres a set route and I’ll see you in an hour’. Went back again this time armed with the car seats and kids in tow, they all fit perfectly and the kids loved it.

Checked over some prices and actually the Tesla wasn’t that too dissimilar to the EV6 or Ioniq 5 in the trims that I wanted. Except the turn around was way quicker. Kia were quoting April 23 as the earliest date.

Hoping the shipments get moving soon and I end up getting it end of June! Can’t wait, feel like a kid in the build up to Christmas.

I own my cars for around 8 years. I maintain them and enjoy having a car that is well taken care of. My wife had mentioned Tesla being the leader of EVs and I told her when her car has an issue, Tesla will be her next car. During this time I began reviewing Tesla VS “insert EV name here”. I’m pretty much everything, Tesla came on top with reliable range, technology, upgrades, available super chargers, power, simplicity, reliable, etc. At this point it was clear. Sure enough her car had an issue so we repaired it under warranty and purchased a M3.

For me it was months of me feeling like my current car didn’t fit with me. I was looking for something more luxurious and bigger for road trips. I loved my wife’s M3 and looked into the MY. Mode X was a. Dry long wait and I felt the extra storage wasn’t needed and the mode Y looked perfect. I placed my order within two weeks of her delivery.

We are both very happy with our choices. Everytime I pass by the gas station and see the prices i think about how tough it’s gotta be to fill up bigger vehicles.

Focus Mk3 RS ... but hated all the pops and bangs.

I got one of the very first M3s in the country (ordered most unpopular colour from site handing over the most cars - didn't know that when I ordered of course!)

From collection my 20-something daughter was driving and as we approach Hatfield Galleria tunnel heading North on A1 a Blue Scooby (with yellow wheels Natch!) drew up alongside with a couple of young lads inside. Of all the other cars on the road they would have known what the "novelty" car was ...

They stayed alongside until we got into the tunnel and then did the whole pops, bangs - and flames :) - thing ...

It was a fittingly awesome experience: the yesteryear boy racer and the young girl in the silent replacement :)

As a family we started embracing "eco" quite some time ago, and I had a succession of VW Blue Motion "Eco" Golfs. Then around 2015 DieselGate happened and I a) discovered I had been shafted and b) was lumbered with driving a non-Eco car (finance exit, on a car with devalued sticker price, was painful, and of course VW were arguing Black-is-White that they were guilty in North America but had no case to answer in Europe).

So I looked around for a replacement. At that time I had no idea that Tesla existed, nor that an Electric Car could go considerably over 200 miles ... sucked my teeth at having to pay what? 4-times? the price of a Golf ... somehow managed to order the Performance Option by mistake (that bit might not be true ...) and here I am. Did 95K miles in the Model-S over 3.5 years, saved £4K+ per annum on fuel, Launch beat anything else on the road, my mates turned green (sadly not Eco-green), then replaced it with the LR Raven - now good for 300 miles at motorway speed - and got rid of backup-ICE in favour of Model-3, then replaced that for Model-Y (as had always needed Hatchback and Towing)

Thanks VW ... but I ain't buying anything from your stable ever again.

Reactions: Beady3647