Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What makes the best paint shop in the world?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Gwgan

Almost a wagon
Aug 11, 2013
Maine
What does it mean to be the best paint shop in the world, according to EM?

Not knowing much about the subject, I would guess that it means lowest energy consumption, best environmental profile, highest quality (most durable, longest lasting) paint, fastest, and broadest selection of colors.
Five years ago VW's best paint factory in the world excelled in size and temperature.

VW paint shop to be world's most advanced, officials say | Local News | Times Free Press

In the eyes of the beholder - or PR person - is one answer.

Another one is whichever one is the newest. And, as you note, the VW plant is an antediluvian five years old. I know of one that's newer....

What's of personal interest to me, however, is how many - and how many interesting - colors is that VW paint shop putting out. 'Cuz I also know a certain paint shop that puts out almost nothing but really, really boring so-called colors.

I am optimistic that when Tesla's new paint shop goes online the color choices will increase. I am sure that Tesla is aware that there has been a lot of grumbling about the lack of choices.

On the other hand, Tesla will remain production constrained for awhile so they likely won't sell more cars if they offer more colors.

It's definitely NOT the number of colors they offer. Compare even a current Model S's paint job to something like let's say an equivalently priced BMW, it's no comparison. If they plan on improving that even more, well, it shows that Tesla competes with no one except Tesla.

I do agree that Tesla needs to figure a way to improve their paint: both finish and durability (AND delivery!). CA makes it hard because we require only water borne paints. But I think other MFRs have figured this out.

As far as color selection goes, I must be boring. I LOVE my Steel Grey. I couldn't be happier with it. I did invest in a complete polish and nano seal. But it looks so good that I think it was worth every penny.

Did some browsing this morning and it looks like capacity (Eisenmann) as well as number of robots and efficiency (Dürr) are state of the art. Articles mention it would be operational by late 2015; I suppose it's possible the Signature MX will be on the current paint line and the new automated line will start with Production MX given that timing.

Tesla Motors building the world with Eisenmann technology - Eisenmann

Dürr receives largest robot order from Tesla | Spray Finishing News

And there is the possibility of more colors. The color changer EcoLCC2 provides up to 36 colors flexibly for painting

I am optimistic that when Tesla's new paint shop goes online the color choices will increase. I am sure that Tesla is aware that there has been a lot of grumbling about the lack of choices.

On the other hand, Tesla will remain production constrained for awhile so they likely won't sell more cars if they offer more colors.

They would to me.

Pay attention, Tesla, dear.

You're referring to that Chattanooga plant, Rob? Does your statement mean they backed off and didn't complete it, or that some executive later stated they regret having spent so much money on it, or have you other information? I'm intrigued.

You're referring to that Chattanooga plant, Rob? Does your statement mean they backed off and didn't complete it, or that some executive later stated they regret having spent so much money on it, or have you other information? I'm intrigued.

I don't know of a specific VW plant.

Read an article a while back that said German company Eisenmann designed the paint booth system for VW Group. But VW thought it was too expensive and never purchased it or put it into its factories.

I tried googling for the article which said VW declined to purchase this system but could not find it.

Edit: Removed previously linked info.

We knew from BASF press release that they provide the non-pigmented paint layers
http://www.basf-coatings.com/global/ecweb/en/content/press/coatings-partner-magazine/archive/automotive-oem-coatings/eine-starke-partnerschaft

More than 36 BASF colors were on display at TM in April 2014
Tesla Model S new colors coming soon - TESLARATI.com

BASF is still involved with the new paint shop
https://www.linkedin.com/pub/mark-samuelson/1a/a32/6a6

I hope this all means many color options will be available at MX launch.