TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

What means + in the charging rate?

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by artsci, Sep 8, 2013.

1. artsci

artsci Sponsor

When I've charged at places other then home (for example right now the the Omni Richmond Hotel which has a Tesla HPWC) the dash-indicated mph charging rate shows two numbers. The Omni charger is indicating 24+15. Do we add the two to get the actual rate? And why the two numbers? At other places I've seen numbers such a 30 +3. I'm confused. To add to the confusion, at home I charge at a 39 mph rate, with no + indicated. So I'm puzzled about the Tesla Omni charger, which I think would charge at a much higher rate.

2. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

Are you talking about those numbers on two separate lines? Or do you see something different than me?

For me, the top line is the charging rate in miles per hour and the bottom line is the number of rated miles added during the current charging session. Therefore, 31 +3 means 31 rated miles per hour of charge, and about 6 minutes of charging (3 miles added).

3. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Pictures needed, pls, artsci.

4. artsci

artsci Sponsor

I'll snap some shortly as soon as I get back to the charging car.

5. Musterion

Musterion 18h 03m 37s −24° 23′ 12″

@artsci, yes, what FlasherZ says. After the + in second line is how miles you added in that charging session so far (or how many kWh added if you are set up to display energy units). Note there are units displayed after each line which are different (top line distance/hour, bottom line distance or energy). Here is the blurb from the manual:

"Estimated increase in driving distance (or energy) achieved so far in this charging session. Instead of driving distance as shown here, you can change settings to display the amount of energy achieved instead. To do so, touch Controls > Settings > Language & Units."

6. texex91

texex91 Banned

Very good stuff--thanks for info!

7. artsci

artsci Sponsor

Yes, here's the photo.

_DSC4004.JPG

The plus is the miles added since charging began.

See my other post about this Tesla-branded charger. It's very poor. Did the installing electrician just slap the Tesla logo on this thing? It's certainly not up to the company's standards.

8. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

That's a Roadster HPC, probably converted. Like the HPWC, it can be configured for multiple circuit sizes. My guess is that they turned it down to about 30A or so.

9. artsci

artsci Sponsor

Regrettably that appears to be the case. I should have driven a bit further to an RV park. Lesson learned.