Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What might Musk be hinting at?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

AndyH

Supporting Member
Jul 30, 2018
Sweden
In the recently published email to employees Musk wrote:

Moreover, we also have the most exciting new product lineup of any company in the world. There is the Model Y, the Tesla (pickup) Truck, the Semi and the new Roadster. Then there is the Solar Roof, which is spooling up in production, and continued advancements in Powerwall and Powerpack. And that’s just what people know about …

What might it be that we don't know about? I'm hoping for something that hovers because things that hover are really cool.

I'm hoping for an all new generation X and S in the next 3 years. I'd hate to see their flagship cars sink without trace. Also looking forward to Model 3 hitting the UK as a premium second car choice. Model Y could be good for us too, but I think we'd stay with the bigger X has a primary family car (providing it does get properly updated by 2022 beyond the upcoming interior facelift). Trucks don't interest me in the slightest, but should be very popular in the US.

Something that hovers would be cool too, lol.

Yes next gen x and s would be nice. I also seem to recall that there once was talk of small busses or shuttles but an automated x should work fine as that too. Actually a longer x with an extra row of seats with wider falcon wings would be a great shuttle.

Companies always have something in the works and it is just fine that it remains confidential.
I don't even know what the company I work for has in development, stuff is kept quiet long as possible to try and get out ahead of the competition and sofar it has worked. Competition is 5years behind us if they get their new product to market this year as they hope.

Let Tesla keep their secrets.

I'm going to say, the future is so bright.
We don't know what's next. I remember back in the mid 80's raising children and packing everything in a Honda civic, who would have thought later in the 90's someone would make a cool car called the Miata. Then along comes the Tesla. I would often say that Detroit is not making any collectors as they use to however, I believe now the next collector car are being built in Fremont CA.

Next generation of Model S and X is a guarantee.

If its vehicles, probably something along the line of the $25K sedan Musk briefly mentioned in the MKBHD interview.

Moreover, we also have the most exciting new product lineup of any company in the world. There is the Model Y, the Tesla (pickup) Truck, the Semi and the new Roadster. Then there is the Solar Roof, which is spooling up in production, and continued advancements in Powerwall and Powerpack. And that’s just what people know about …

What might it be that we don't know about? I'm hoping for something that hovers because things that hover are really cool.
Powerwall compatible air conditioner (/heat pump?)
From Joe R on the podcast

• Informative
Reactions: outdoors

To answer myself. Elon thought that things that hover were cool too.
Elon Musk on Twitter
If the Roadster 2 has nozzles in ever direction and if it's compressors are capable of compressing air at a high enough rate then it could actually be used as a hovercraft. Probably not a very energy efficient one though.

I'd hope for a van. There's lots of workmen and small businesses out there that would love to get a van that doesn't need to be fueled all the time. Also, they don't even need all that much range - they start from their office, go to a work site, maybe two or three, then back to the office.

Total distance driven? Probably way less than 200 miles. Small businesses also don't have a purchasing department that will squeeze the last cent or discount out of a car dealer, so they shouldn't be as affected by Tesla's no discounts policy.

Make a van in the M3 price range and you'll need another factory... ;-)

Entering of motorcycle business. HW5 on a motorcycle with RSD (Real Self Driving) will beat all the traffic and will be very popular in California. Make it safe and efficient.

Musk has stated pretty explicitly that he doesn't want to make a motorcycle based on a near fatal accident he had on one in his younger days. I think he said it during an earnings call.

• Informative
Reactions: omgwtfbyobbq
When Elon said that they will not put 2170 cells in the S and X and added a “can’t comment on future products”, I immediately thought next gen S and X. The current S and X are complicated and expensive to make.

Tesla have leaned a lot about efficient manufacturing over the last couple of years. They will probably want take advantage of that and develop next gen S and X from scratch.

Reactions: mongo
When Elon said that they will not put 2170 cells in the S and X and added a “can’t comment on future products”, I immediately thought next gen S and X. The current S and X are complicated and expensive to make.

Tesla have leaned a lot about efficient manufacturing over the last couple of years. They will probably want take advantage of that and develop next gen S and X from scratch.

I had the same sort of thought. Post Y, pickup, and semi they could do a new large sedan (not an S refresh) and SUV (depending on Y size) .

Musk has stated pretty explicitly that he doesn't want to make a motorcycle based on a near fatal accident he had on one in his younger days. I think he said it during an earnings call.
Even if he wanted to build one, I'm not sure you could build a self driving motorcycle. A lot of driving a motorcycle comes from the position of the driver - i.e. leaning into turns.

Even if he wanted to build one, I'm not sure you could build a self driving motorcycle. A lot of driving a motorcycle comes from the position of the driver - i.e. leaning into turns.

A bike can self balance to an extend, take and 18 speed and give it a good push, it will self correct until it either leans to far or slows down too much. The steering is setup such that it leans into a turn which then provides a side force to, if not right itself, at least reduce the rate of tipping.

There was a two wheel motorcycle in the DARPA Grand Challenge self driving vehicle competition. Unfortunately, they forgot to turn on the stability system when their bike started the course, but it made it through the preliminary testing.

A bike can self balance to an extend, take and 18 speed and give it a good push, it will self correct until it either leans to far or slows down too much. The steering is setup such that it leans into a turn which then provides a side force to, if not right itself, at least reduce the rate of tipping.

There was a two wheel motorcycle in the DARPA Grand Challenge self driving vehicle competition. Unfortunately, they forgot to turn on the stability system when their bike started the course, but it made it through the preliminary testing.

Let me clarify. I'm sure you could build a self driving motorcycle WITHOUT a rider. But once you have a rider/driver onboard, the dynamics change.....

Reactions: mongo
Let me clarify. I'm sure you could build a self driving motorcycle WITHOUT a rider. But once you have a rider/driver onboard, the dynamics change.....

OH!
Sorry, missed that. Yeah, unless the bike has an large movable mass, the passenger could totally dump it if they wanted. (Assuming the bike was on a road and not in an infinite empty parking lot).