Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What minimum amount of miles do you figure we'll have to drive to get FSD?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The FSD button doesn't specify a minimum number of miles we need to drive in order to gain access. It just says we need a high safety score.

Obviously if you have a 100/100 score but drove less than 10 miles all week, that's not very indicative of being a good driver. There must be some minimum number of miles we have to hit in order for that score to hold merit, right?

I know it's pure speculation at this point, but what do you folks figure the minimum number of miles is that we ought to drive this week if we're hoping to get approved for FSD?

Not sure.
In the FAQ it says 'Your daily Safety Score is not impacted by the number of miles or hours you drive. We combine your daily Safety Scores (up to 30 days) into a milage-weighted average to calculate the aggregated Safety Score.' There is no weighting against higher milage.

Could there be a behind-the-curtain preference to more miles? Maybe. We will find out soon enough.

We should not worry too much about it as it is still not a commercial release and if you have purchased or intend to purchase full FSD, you will get it when it is commercially released. So nobody is missing out anything permanently- its just we will be little behind in the que to get the product when more QA/Testing is completed based on field trials and the product is more robust and reliable.

We should not worry too much about it as it is still not a commercial release and if you have purchased or intend to purchase full FSD, you will get it when it is commercially released. So nobody is missing out anything permanently- its just we will be little behind in the que to get the product when more QA/Testing is completed based on field trials and the product is more robust and reliable.
What evidence is there that this product will end up without the 'Beta' label attached? Many of the features sold and advertised with the vehicle have permanently been defined as Beta. Is there evidence that this won't be the case with FSD?

Reactions: pilotSteve
What evidence is there that this product will end up without the 'Beta' label attached? Many of the features sold and advertised with the vehicle have permanently been defined as Beta. Is there evidence that this won't be the case with FSD?
well I don't work for Tesla , so I can't speak for them , but we will have to wait and see how things shape up in the future

For an insurance company, a good and safe driver is the one who doesn't drive and keeps paying a premium for the car sit at home.

The less you drive, the fewer risks for accidents.
Good point! I guess there’s some sweet spot for Tesla where they want to know you drove enough miles that your score reflects your driving ability, but too many miles might be too much exposure to risk for Tesla too.
Your avatar is making me hungry

Ending up without the beta label shouldn’t be a concern. Tesla does differentiate between production and not production builds though. (E.G. - )

In other words, they’re saying subscribers/FSD Capability package purchasers will all eventually get a production version of FSD, whether labeled beta or not.

Reactions: Sporty
Good point! I guess there’s some sweet spot for Tesla where they want to know you drove enough miles that your score reflects your driving ability, but too many miles might be too much exposure to risk for Tesla too.

It depends on what Tesla wants.

If it wants to restrict the number of participants, then a test is a start.

If it wants the potential of least FSD beta accidents then it would choose those who would:

1) use their cars the least or none at all.
2) be driving their cars in the least traffic (no NYC, LAX... for you!)

If it wants to find out what are the bugs so it can fix them in order to bring safety for us, then the widest distribution with the least restrictions should be the practice.

The FSD button doesn't specify a minimum number of miles we need to drive in order to gain access. It just says we need a high safety score.

Obviously if you have a 100/100 score but drove less than 10 miles all week, that's not very indicative of being a good driver. There must be some minimum number of miles we have to hit in order for that score to hold merit, right?

I know it's pure speculation at this point, but what do you folks figure the minimum number of miles is that we ought to drive this week if we're hoping to get approved for FSD?
You only need to drive 100 miles. I drove my Plaid about 15 miles a day for a week, and after 100 miles it allowed me to install it