Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What mobile charging cable do I need for this situation? P85+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

I have a 2013 P85+ with the enhanced charger.

I have never needed to use an emergency charger and have never had a cable in my car. I figured it would be a good idea to get one just incase.

I have the wall outlet plug, and the bit that connects to the car. I don't have the cable that runs in between them.

I'd like to buy something inexpensive that I can keep in my trunk for emergencies.

Please see the photos for what I have.

From my research I found that my Tesla port adapter is J1772. It sounds like I just need a cable with that port on the end to attach to my adapter? And that would make my Tesla brand wall plug unnecessary I suppose. I have found several 110v-J1772 cables so I'm thinking that's probably what I need. They're about $200 for a 25 foot cable.

I'm open to getting a cable on Amazon. I figure there's a ton of options out there and I'd like to go simple and inexpensive. Hoping there's just a 20' or so cable out there that connects the two bits I already have. But if that's impossible I'm open to another solution. Just needs to be for simple 110v wall outlets if I get stuck somewhere and only have access to that. Normally I charge at home and supercharge only.

Thanks!

IMG_0218.jpg
IMG_0219.jpg

Last edited:
The one on the left looks like the 120v adapter from a Gen 1 mobile connector, you are missing the charger and cable. I have the newer version (Gen 2) so I cannot offer any advice. I am sure others will be able to assist.

The one on the right is the J1772 adapter. This is used at public charging stations such a ChargePoint. You plug the J1772 plug into the adapter and then the adapter into your car.

SuperChargers have the Tesla plug so no adapter is needed.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
1) you don’t really need one, as you’ve already discovered by not ever needing one. You have the J1772 adapter, and there are countless public J1772 charging stations almost everywhere these days.

2) if you do think you need one, buy this one, if it’s ever in stock again.

3) the regular household plug adapter you have is for a Gen 1 Tesla mobile connector. it’s not useful for anything else. You could buy one of those used, but they’re a good deal more than $200 these days.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
I drive in rural areas where my only charging spot might be a gas station type place at a highway exit so I figured I'd better be safe than sorry and have way to get me 20-30 miles to make it to my destination. Or maybe charge overnight at someone's house kinda thing.

I figured I'd try this one and see how it goes. Looks like it'll do the trick and good reviews.

Charger

I drive in rural areas where my only charging spot might be a gas station type place at a highway exit so I figured I'd better be safe than sorry and have way to get me 20-30 miles to make it to my destination. Or maybe charge overnight at someone's house kinda thing.

I figured I'd try this one and see how it goes. Looks like it'll do the trick and good reviews.

Charger
Unless its an emergency, which it doesn't sound like it is, why not wait patiently for the much more versatile Tesla branded charger for essentially the same price. The Tesla UMC is rated to charge at 32 amps, which is DOUBLE the j1772 you've linked to.

Also, check how long you will need for any reasonable charge at 120V. On a good day you'll see 5 mi/hr of charge, which is not something I'd want to rely on to get me the last 25-30 miles to my destination.

Charger
The one shown is misleading. In order to get a charge rate of 16 amps you need a 6-20 outlet. That is a 240v outlet that you will never see. It also include the standard 120v household outlet whigh wil charge at 12 amps. You will be better off with the Tesla version for the same price.

In addition, you can buy a whole host of other adapers, should you need one.

• Helpful
The Tesla one is sold out atm and I don't think most emergency stop destinations would have a 240 outlet. I'm thinking like an outdoor plug at a gas station or small restaurant type thing. Or maybe someone's house or a rest stop. Def not a regular use item, just for emergencies. Currently have no mobile charger so I figured it would be a nice safety item

The one shown is misleading. In order to get a charge rate of 16 amps you need a 6-20 outlet.
Or a 5-20 outlet, which is 120 volts and quite common.

Although maybe it’s sensing voltage and setting amperage based on that, and limiting all 120v charging to 12A? Somehow I doubt it based on the expected quality and sophistication of this thing, but…

Last edited:
The Tesla one is sold out atm and I don't think most emergency stop destinations would have a 240 outlet. I'm thinking like an outdoor plug at a gas station or small restaurant type thing. Or maybe someone's house or a rest stop. Def not a regular use item, just for emergencies. Currently have no mobile charger so I figured it would be a nice safety item
I mean, if you’re that desperate to find an excuse to waste $200 for some super far fetched peace of mind, go for it. I’m sure the quality is at least as good as the English in the product description! 😆

A3214BC5-63B0-4AC7-A9ED-086DB39086FE.jpeg

$200 isn't too bad for me and I'll test it when I get it to make sure it works well. If it doesn't I can always send it back no problem. I was just hoping to use the plug and adapter I had and buy a $50 cable that connected the two to save a few bucks. I'm not in a rush. Can always return it and get the Tesla version if they get them back in stock one day

Have you gone to plugshare.com to see where the j1772 chargers are in your area? I'm guessing, since you're in florida, that there are a ton all around you. There's really no reason to have the 110 volt one. They're pretty much useless. There are grocery stores everywhere that give free charging via j1772.

We've owned our Tesla for more than 210,000 MI, and have never owned a portable adapter. We've just used j-1772 chargers and the superchargers. Works every time.

$200 isn't too bad for me and I'll test it when I get it to make sure it works well. If it doesn't I can always send it back no problem. I was just hoping to use the plug and adapter I had and buy a $50 cable that connected the two to save a few bucks. I'm not in a rush. Can always return it and get the Tesla version if they get them back in stock one day
Hey man, you do you. Those sophisticated protecting features will come in handy when you emergency charge overnight at a rural gas station, just make sure and hang it up inside when you do to extend its lifespan longer! 👍🏻

😉

I feel compelled to point out a AAA Premier membership in Florida is only $133 and would be infinitely more useful in a real charging emergency than a 120v EVSE…

Yea I've never needed one either. I just figured it would be nice to have in case of emergencies.

My poor old car only gets about 1.5 miles per KWH now if I'm running AC and stereo and everything on the highway at 80. If I charge to 100% I'll get about 160 miles on a charge. I usually don't charge to 100% especially at Superchargers. I'll charge to about 80% because the charge rate is slow on older cars. So I'll get about 120 miles of range after I Supercharge. My last few trips have been about 110 miles between the Supercharger and my location. It's just nice to know if it's looking sketchy I can just dip at the quickest exit and plug in for a few hours to limp home rather than call for roadside assistance because I ran out of juice. I'd also check for local fast chargers as well in situations like that.

My 2013 s with over 202k miles, full charge is 215. I have 14.50 receptical. Range is a very different subject. I bought a level 2 package and the new 7 adapter kit from Tesla. I got tired of taking my home cable with me. The kit enable you the charge anywhere, littlerly.