Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What model 3 , Is the battery, car or both

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

one2many

Aug 16, 2019
germany
I go back to the old Tesla World, Tesla car, tesla battery.
Now we see batteries from almost everyone, LG -the total recall one, now
qualed for Tesla, CATL, Northvolt?, Panasonic (Japan or US), Tesla US, Tesla Germany,
well I hope you get the the picture. I got my car for the battery,
lets see how this mix and match works out.

well I hope you get the the picture.

Not really ( I dont get the picture you are trying to paint), but for me this is par for the course for me and your posts. To me, this is kind of like saying you bought a portable camera because it came with energizer batteries vs duracell.

I dont think the "tesla battery" you are saying you got your car for is made by tesla either. I am fairly sure thats the case actually.

Not really ( I dont get the picture you are trying to paint), but for me this is par for the course for me and your posts. To me, this is kind of like saying you bought a portable camera because it came with energizer batteries vs duracell.

I dont think the "tesla battery" you are saying you got your car for is made by tesla either. I am fairly sure thats the case actually.
OP tends to post once they've been drinking heavily.

Drive train tech and battery tech drove the the car.
You now have different batteries from lots of vendors.
Will that make a difference on what model 3 you would buy.
I say yes.

One more time.... the "tesla battery" you say you have in your current model 3 is not made by Tesla, so I am not sure what point you are going for.

I don't see anything wrong with what Tesla is doing here, quite the opposite.

It's never a good idea for a manufacturer to be sole sourced to any one supplier for proprietary parts due to issues involving quality, price, or delivery. They need to have secondary, tertiary, or more suppliers to deal with the inevitable disruptions that can and will come up. Now you can't just qualify secondary suppliers, which involve significant costs, and then tell them you will keep them on stand-by just in case we need you but aren't going to buy from you unless we need to, that is not a good business decision from the perspective of the supplier. They have cash flow and other labor requirements that involve keeping things running and large scale manufacturing is notoriously difficult to scale up.

So what typically is done to mitigate this issue is you buy a mix as a percentage from each of the suppliers. If you have battery supplier A, B, and C you might buy 60% from A who is your primary supplier, 20% from B, and 20% from C. If supplier A can't deliver for whatever reason it is much easier to increase volume from your other suppliers who are already running the product. As opposed to being sole sourced this will prevent a complete shutdown of production even if they can't make up the entire demand of parts needed.

Engineering determines the specifications and tolerances that are required for parts that are sourced from 3rd party vendors and quality is charged with enforcement. If that protocol is being followed it doesn't matter which vendor is bringing in parts, they all have to meet the same engineering specifications.

The OP seems to imply as if this is a bad thing and I wanted to share my perspective as someone who has spent my entire adult life working at the corporate office of a large manufacturing company. Granted I'm an engineer and not in purchasing but I still know a few things.

One more time.... the "tesla battery" you say you have in your current model 3 is not made by Tesla, so I am not sure what point you are going for.
Tesla the makes the batteries, the other manufacturers make the cells. There is some co-location from Panasonic and CATL, but LG just supplies.

The distinction of cells v battery is important, especially given multiple cell suppliers and other cases like Kia Niro v Hyundai Kona where they had the same spec battery, but different cell suppliers, and only one had battery fires.

I go back to the old Tesla World, Tesla car, tesla battery.
Now we see batteries from almost everyone, LG -the total recall one, now
qualed for Tesla, CATL, Northvolt?, Panasonic (Japan or US), Tesla US, Tesla Germany,
well I hope you get the the picture. I got my car for the battery,
lets see how this mix and match works out.

this is the worst haiku i've ever read