Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What motor does your 2023 Model Y have?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To date, the North America Model Y has traditionally had the 980 rear motor for the Performance and the 990 motor for the Long Range. But my 2023 LR has a new hairpin motor called the 4D1 (which is supposed to be an upgrade to the 980 Performance motor). It turns out there are at least a few other 2023 MY LRs out there with the same 4D1 motor and I believe they are all Austin builds with VINs that erroneously identify the LR as a Performance (F in position 8). So far I am only aware of cars that VIN with PA048 or PA049. As a side note, these new Performance motors are not providing any extra boost, since the LR software is still limiting their capabilities.

It would be interesting to see what motors others are receiving in their 2023 MY. The video below shows how to locate the 980 and 990 motor in a Model 3, but the Model Y will be in the same place (you don't need to jack the vehicle). My 4D1 motor's placard. however, is in a slightly different location - just under the boot that connects to the motor (see the attached image). For the 4D1 photo, I found it best to use my cell phone camera set to flash with a 10 second timer. After starting the timer, I inserted it under the vehicle from the rear of the back left tire (not forward of the tire), then placed it up and angled towards the placard location.

Please post your results similar to my format below (you can exclude last 3 digits of VIN):

December 2022 Austin Build LR, 7SAYGDEF4PA049XXX, 4D1 Motor

Attachments

• InkedIMG_20230121_083630210_LI.jpg
    InkedIMG_20230121_083630210_LI.jpg
    546.1 KB · Views: 3,929
  • Tesla Motor Model #.jpg
    Tesla Motor Model #.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 1,804
I wonder if they’re “quietly” switching all MYs to the same motor, regardless of being SR, LR or P.

That could create another round of internet issues like the brakes (or worse).

Also make me feel conflicted as I ordered the P.
Even if they are they will still be software limiting the non-P versions. You'll still get the performance you are promised out of the P.

I have 23 MY LR (7SAYGDEE3PFxxxxx) and it has 980 motor (also has matrix headlights)
Interesting. The placard photo actually shows it being the 3D1 motor, which also has hairpin windings and is typically used in a Performance vehicle (equal to the 980 wire winding). The 3D5 is the 990 equivalent, and what you would expect most MY LRs to have. The 3D3 motor is typically used up front in a dual motor setup (and what my MY has).

My car's 4D1 is the next generation of your 3D1 Performance motor.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also have the 4D1 motor. Dec Austin built MYLR

7SAYGDEF2PA052XXX

Be interesting to put theses cars on the Dragy to see what they do. When the first MYLRs with 980 motors were tested they trapped the same or better than the MYPs. For the laws of physics to make sense it must mean that for a significant portion of the quarter mile the cars are making the same power. Tesla must gimp the MYLRs hard at the lower speeds but allow full MYP power after the initial launch. Wondering if this is also the case for the new 4D1 motors.

Also have the 4D1 motor. Dec Austin built MYLR

7SAYGDEF2PA052XXX

Be interesting to put theses cars on the Dragy to see what they do. When the first MYLRs with 980 motors were tested they trapped the same or better than the MYPs. For the laws of physics to make sense it must mean that for a significant portion of the quarter mile the cars are making the same power. Tesla must gimp the MYLRs hard at the lower speeds but allow full MYP power after the initial launch. Wondering if this is also the case for the new 4D1 motors.
Thanks for sharing, you also have the F in position 8, which implies a Performance vehicle when it is actually the LR. It didn't impact my insurance but I have heard it has for others (Tesla Insurance even quoted me for a MY Performance). I'm pretty sure the software is limiting our LR cars, but can't help but wonder if the 4D1 will be perform better than others with the $2k Acceleration Boost upgrade.

I went back and forth between M3P/MYLR/MYP. First chose to order M3P due to 55k limit, later cancelled when MY changed to 80k classification. The hour the MY was reclassified to 80k I snagged a still incoming Blue/Black Induction wheel LR and am currently waiting for it, due 2/17-2/23. Cost difference was so minimal between LR/P still question decision but just didn't want to have to purchase a new set of wheels/tires cause the 21's don't work/hold up here in Ohio and extra ground clearance helps, even 1". Sure wish I could have gotten MYP with Induction wheels and 45 profile tires. but maybe I can get the Ghost module and end up exactly where I want. Legacy auto makers win in the options department but Tesla wins everywhere else.

I went back and forth between M3P/MYLR/MYP. First chose to order M3P due to 55k limit, later cancelled when MY changed to 80k classification. The hour the MY was reclassified to 80k I snagged a still incoming Blue/Black Induction wheel LR and am currently waiting for it, due 2/17-2/23. Cost difference was so minimal between LR/P still question decision but just didn't want to have to purchase a new set of wheels/tires cause the 21's don't work/hold up here in Ohio and extra ground clearance helps, even 1". Sure wish I could have gotten MYP with Induction wheels and 45 profile tires. but maybe I can get the Ghost module and end up exactly where I want. Legacy auto makers win in the options department but Tesla wins everywhere else.
I was in the same boat, Ordered a M3P, then a MYLR, then last week with the price cap change I ordered a MYP.

To date, the North America Model Y has traditionally had the 980 rear motor for the Performance and the 990 motor for the Long Range. But my 2023 LR has a new hairpin motor called the 4D1 (which is supposed to be an upgrade to the 980 Performance motor). It turns out there are at least a few other 2023 MY LRs out there with the same 4D1 motor and I believe they are all Austin builds with VINs that erroneously identify the LR as a Performance (F in position 8). So far I am only aware of cars that VIN with PA048 or PA049. As a side note, these new Performance motors are not providing any extra boost, since the LR software is still limiting their capabilities.

It would be interesting to see what motors others are receiving in their 2023 MY. The video below shows how to locate the 980 and 990 motor in a Model 3, but the Model Y will be in the same place (you don't need to jack the vehicle). My 4D1 motor's placard. however, is in a slightly different location - just under the boot that connects to the motor (see the attached image). For the 4D1 photo, I found it best to use my cell phone camera set to flash with a 10 second timer. After starting the timer, I inserted it under the vehicle from the rear of the back left tire (not forward of the tire), then placed it up and angled towards the placard location.

Please post your results similar to my format below (you can exclude last 3 digits of VIN):

December 2022 Austin Build LR, 7SAYGDEF4PA049XXX, 4D1 Motor

Okay, now you've done it. People (including me) will be jacking up their new cars during inspection to confirm which motor they got. ;)

7SAYGDEE7PA067XXX how do I tell what motor I have?
It's behind the rear left wheel. Instructions, including a video, can be found in the second paragraph of the first post in this thread. Note the placard location on the 4D1 motor is in a slightly different location than the 980/990 (and 3D1) motors. So far, every MY with a 4D1 motor has has an F in the VIN's 8th position.

• Informative
Reactions: Pricedm and GSP