Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What motor does your 2023 Model Y have?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I went back and forth between M3P/MYLR/MYP. First chose to order M3P due to 55k limit, later cancelled when MY changed to 80k classification. The hour the MY was reclassified to 80k I snagged a still incoming Blue/Black Induction wheel LR and am currently waiting for it, due 2/17-2/23. Cost difference was so minimal between LR/P still question decision but just didn't want to have to purchase a new set of wheels/tires cause the 21's don't work/hold up here in Ohio and extra ground clearance helps, even 1". Sure wish I could have gotten MYP with Induction wheels and 45 profile tires. but maybe I can get the Ghost module and end up exactly where I want. Legacy auto makers win in the options department but Tesla wins everywhere else.

• Funny
Reactions: leoita
Has anyone here gotten the acceleration boost on the 4D1 motor? Was wondering if there is any difference between those who got it on the 4D1 vs 3D5 motor. I just got a referral and was hoping the 4D1 + AB would get me even closer to performance levels.
I've just released some test data of the 4D1 vs. the older 3D7. The 3D7 is similar in power and torque to the 3D5, but with a Hairpin Stator.

0c3a2efc98fe75495e9569c375530e5d71016aa5.jpeg

4cc3c6485e9b7511c175bad5afc4665a31f6750a.jpeg

I've just released some test data of the 4D1 vs. the older 3D7. The 3D7 is similar in power and torque to the 3D5, but with a Hairpin Stator.

0c3a2efc98fe75495e9569c375530e5d71016aa5.jpeg

4cc3c6485e9b7511c175bad5afc4665a31f6750a.jpeg

Nice! Are you working on data with 3D1 (980) with boost? How does that stack against the rest? I'm curious for those with a 3D1 with Ingenext Ghost Unlock Mod, does it simply unlock Performance trim capabilities or are they truly tuning a similar power curve and some.

Nice! Are you working on data with 3D1 (980) with boost? How does that stack against the rest? I'm curious for those with a 3D1 with Ingenext Ghost Unlock Mod, does it simply unlock Performance trim capabilities or are they truly tuning a similar power curve and some.
Well, that is a hard task in Europe as we only had a very short time period in 2019 when M3LR were delivered with 3D1 (980) motors. Before and after is was only 3D5 (990) and later replaced by 3D7. The 3D1 was exclusive to the M3P 2019-2021 in combination with the Panasonic 3 and 3L NCA battery pack. From 2022 the battery pack was switched to the LG 5L NMC and 3D6 rear motor. The LG is a fair bit weaker in peak power.

In conclusion there is no way for me to test a 3D1 with Acceleration Boost in Europe and testing a current 4D1 is again limited by the power of the LG pack. If I was to stick a 3D1 M3P with the US Panasonic 3 pack, it would obliterate all the other cars, no matter the rear motor, just because the Panasonic pack. The battery pack is the main contributor to power if "uncorked" by Tesla and not limited by Non-Boost (980A) or Non-Performance (1255A).

Figure_1.jpg

I did offer Ingenext that I could test their products on the Battery and motor variety of our European cars, especially when the 4D1 was released, but whoever I talked to said I could buy their product and then do with it what I want, which is not feasible for me.

Got the 3D5 with my Austin built 2023 MYLR that I bought last month. I was hoping for the 980 motor but yeah. Knowing my luck, I wasn't expecting much. Looks like the Boost 50 is my only option (apart from AB). I wonder how much of a difference 50hp will make (I saw a video where someone dynod an MYLR with and without AB and found that AB added almost 100whp iirc).

Btw, kinda OT but does anyone here have 100-200kph (62-124mph) numbers for their cars (dragy verified)? Or is there a thread somewhere (tried searching but couldn't find any).

Small update in the data front about the 4D1 motor:
I saw the post about this on X.

For the new Model 3 P, I guess the optimum choice to get good power overca decent SOC range is to do the same as the Plaid:

Increasing pack voltage by using more cells in series. Probably too exclusive for a model 3, specially if it is supposed to be a cheap mass production, then using the same pack would be the target I guess.

But as voltage droop during load a 110S pack would do it, just lika the Plaid.
Having a overhead voltage gives the possibility to keep the power pver a wider SOC range, and also makes it possible for the pack to match the motors rated power.
So instead of 96 x 46 they could do 110 x 40 cee cells.

Reactions: hyp36rmax
I saw the post about this on X.

For the new Model 3 P, I guess the optimum choice to get good power overca decent SOC range is to do the same as the Plaid:

Increasing pack voltage by using more cells in series. Probably too exclusive for a model 3, specially if it is supposed to be a cheap mass production, then using the same pack would be the target I guess.

But as voltage droop during load a 110S pack would do it, just lika the Plaid.
Having a overhead voltage gives the possibility to keep the power pver a wider SOC range, and also makes it possible for the pack to match the motors rated power.
So instead of 96 x 46 they could do 110 x 40 cee cells.
Yes, that makes sense, but keep in mind that Tesla opts for a battery pack that will be used in Performance and Long Range cars alike, so I think an increase in capacity into the 80's (kWh) range with a chemistry change (Nickel Ratio) and keeping the current wiring layout. There is also headroom in form of unlocking the Panasonic 3L true max power (460kW) or new cells from Panasonic who said they wanted to increase capacity and power by increasing cell voltage up to 4,5-4,6V in the future. This statement is two years old?

@eivissa reading through your analysis is awesome. Appreciate your data. What is your testing methodology? What dyno are you using to test? Is it at the wheel? Drive motor? Road dyno? Does an EV experience an equivalent drivertrain loss similar to ICE? (I wouldn’t think so, curious)

@eivissa reading through your analysis is awesome. Appreciate your data. What is your testing methodology? What dyno are you using to test? Is it at the wheel? Drive motor? Road dyno? Does an EV experience an equivalent drivertrain loss similar to ICE? (I wouldn’t think so, curious)

You are overestimating my capabilities :)

• Performance data like power vs. speed is almost all highspeed CAN logging into CSV.
  • Battery analysis is a mixture of CANBUS and TeslaAPI logging into Teslalogger.

When compared it turns out that CANBUS power/torque data, realworld dyno tests and the Performance data claimed by Tesla are all pretty close together.

The certification documents that I can access have torque and power figures at different RPM. This can then be compared to logging a real world car via CANBUS.

I am also lucky enough to have lots of different EV's (mostly Tesla) provided to me by the community with a Supercharger V3 close-by and unrestricted Autobahn for legal testing up to VMAX right next to it.

• Love
Reactions: hyp36rmax and AAKEE
You are overestimating my capabilities :)

• Performance data like power vs. speed is almost all highspeed CAN logging into CSV.
  • Battery analysis is a mixture of CANBUS and TeslaAPI logging into Teslalogger.

When compared it turns out that CANBUS power/torque data, realworld dyno tests and the Performance data claimed by Tesla are all pretty close together.

The certification documents that I can access have torque and power figures at different RPM. This can then be compared to logging a real world car via CANBUS.

I am also lucky enough to have lots of different EV's (mostly Tesla) provided to me by the community with a Supercharger V3 close-by and unrestricted Autobahn for legal testing up to VMAX right next to it.
You're doing great. Have yet to see another resource as informative. 🍻

Basically road dyno, you're right data is all within threshold. Plus real world. The only factor here could be weather temp and road conditions. Detailed enough to give us a snapshot.

In your testing are you seeing any performance variations related to ambient temp? ICE cars (Especially forced induced Turbo) react a certain way based on elevation and ambient. Is this true with EV?

Reactions: eivissa
You're doing great. Have yet to see another resource as informative. 🍻
Yes, @eivissa’s work is very very much worth for these community’s 👍
In your testing are you seeing any performance variations related to ambient temp? ICE cars (Especially forced induced Turbo) react a certain way based on elevation and ambient. Is this true with EV?

EV’s does not change the power on ambient or altitude / air density.

SOC + battery temp set the power.
(Higher -> better)

For my Plaid, when the ambient go ~ 10-15C, the tyre grip is not good enough to get the max performance so antispin reduces the power. I’d say that this is the only thing that reduces power output for EV’s

(Side note: I have worked a lot with ICE cars for competition, both dragracing and rally cross. Mostly turbocharged, but also not boosted engines.

Engines withouth overcharging are more sensitive to high ambient temps and high altitude as they loose power in the same rate as the air density reduces.
Turbocharged engines are often regulated per air mass flow and increase the boost ratio (same absolute pressure) at high temps or high altitude to compensate for the losses from lover air density :)

The claimed power figures and RPM ranges do differ a fair bit between the owners manual, what Tesla reports to Asian and EU authorities and what people measure at CANBUS level.
Yes, thats right.

I know @eivissa knows this, but adding on for others:
The specified maximum power on the motor is not necessary the delivered power that the cars use, as limitations like battery maximum delivered power and also firmware sets the limits.

My 2023 S Plaid is registered with 932kW motor power. Thats 1267,5 horsepowers!

I wish! :D
IMG_7896.jpeg

Reactions: 455dan