Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What motor does your 2023 Model Y have?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi! Have you any idea what motor type is this?
1. Model and Trim MLR
2. VIN LRWYGCEK2PC708xxx
3. Vehicle Build Date 01/23
4. Factory Shanghai
5. Rear Motor 3D7 (but code ends 740)

Attachments

• C77EB918-735A-4AE0-A632-EFD4D47694C3.jpeg
    C77EB918-735A-4AE0-A632-EFD4D47694C3.jpeg
    169.6 KB · Views: 274
Yep. I wanted a car before months end, but did switch the order from the LR and preferred the increased ride height and smaller wheels.

The Performance models power is addicting though. No way I would risk losing the warranty and spend 2k? to hack Tesla's programing on a brand new car.

It does seem a MYLR with 3D1 +3D3 and the 2k performance boost would have gotten me almost the EXACT car I wanted though and saved money.

I forget that the P model did come with a spoiler and better brakes as well.
No complaints after all. :)

Congrats to MYLR order holders that get the higher current rear motor or the new version hairpin.
A recent change in suppliers has the brakes almost the same except 2mm thicker rotor.

A recent change in suppliers has the brakes almost the same except 2mm thicker rotor.

Front brakes are still the same Brembo units…for now!😩

Yeah I noticed that when I had the MYP up on the lift, covers on the rear Calipers Front was the real deal.

Attachments

• PXL_20230319_182214424.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230319_182214424.MP.jpg
    348 KB · Views: 158
  • PXL_20230319_182234903.jpg
    PXL_20230319_182234903.jpg
    439.7 KB · Views: 157
Just discovered this thread - great stuff! Thanks to all of the experts (JCLJ, eivissa, others) who have provided tech details.

Visited the Petersen Auto Museum in LA at the end of January to see the Tesla exhibit. Pics of motor evolution attached.

Once all the sleuths have sorted this out, would be great to have a single table or document that lays out the details of technical evolution of Tesla motors in a comprehensive way.

Ordered a MYLR the day after the visit to the Petersen. Just got my VIN (7SAYGEE5PA094XXX), will upload my motor info once it arrives to add to the knowledge base. After reading all of this, hoping to get a hairpin motor - not for power, but for efficiency and longevity.

It appears that the pics are uploading in alphabetical order. At the museum, the motors were arranged as follows: DU, LDU, SDU, 3DU, PDU

Attachments

• SDU.jpg
    SDU.jpg
    633.9 KB · Views: 125
  • PDU.jpg
    PDU.jpg
    558.3 KB · Views: 111
  • LDU.jpg
    LDU.jpg
    522.3 KB · Views: 103
  • DU.jpg
    DU.jpg
    522.6 KB · Views: 106
  • 3DU.jpg
    3DU.jpg
    558.2 KB · Views: 166
Reactions: orng
Sor

Sorry my phone quit uploading the other photo and it isn't very good.

Definitely produced March of 2023 around the 6th.

I also contacted Tesla since I do not receive my title /registration package yet, and the Gal emailed me a registration application.

It does List Horsepower and Tesla declared it @418HP
My MYLR with a 4D1 has the HP listed as 362. I do feel this car pulls harder than the 2022 MYLR I got as a loaner from Tesla but that could just be in my head.
Might try and buy a used Dragy to find out for sure.

Reactions: 455dan and JezzaE
Look behind drivers side rear wheel. Between 1/3 and halfway up. I held my phone around the back left side of the wheel and then point the camera slightly to the right.
I used video to find it. Then used 1x with flash, and finally 3x with flash just because (was visible in all three).
1. Model and Trim MYLR
2. VIN 7SAYGDEE3PAxxxxxx
3. Vehicle Build Date 03/23
4. Factory Austin
5. Rear Motor 4D1

Attachments

• Tesla Rear.jpg
    Tesla Rear.jpg
    401.6 KB · Views: 160
Look behind drivers side rear wheel. Between 1/3 and halfway up. I held my phone around the back left side of the wheel and then point the camera slightly to the right.
I used video to find it. Then used 1x with flash, and finally 3x with flash just because (was visible in all three).
1. Model and Trim MYLR
2. VIN 7SAYGDEE3PAxxxxxx
4. Factory Austin
5. Rear Motor 4D1
Thanks for the advice on the video. Yeah that made it easier to try to find the spot with a video when you don't have to be super accurate in finding the spot. I was able to confirm that I do have the rear 4D1 motor.

1. Model and Trim MYLR
2. VIN 7SAYGDEE6PAxxxxxx
4. Factory Austin
5. Rear Motor 4D1

Btw if you just have the MYLR and you have the 4D1 or 3D1/3D6 motors, what effect does that have? I mean like comparing to someone who has a MYLR with 3D5/3D7 base motors, will someone who has a MYLR with 4D1 or 3D1/3D6 performance motors still have a higher base HP than someone who has base motors or is the software limited to the same HP no matter whether you have base motors or performance motors?

Last edited:
Btw if you just have the MYLR and you have the 4D1 or 3D1/3D6 motors, what effect does that have? I mean like comparing to someone who has a MYLR with 3D5/3D7 base motors, will someone who has a MYLR with 4D1 or 3D1/3D6 performance motors still have a higher base HP than someone who has base motors or is the software limited to the same HP no matter whether you have base motors or performance motors?
In a Long Range the Battery is limited to 980A peak power, which is delivered to the two motors.

The performance motors deliver their peak power earlier in the speed band and they are also not limited to 220kW, like the base motors.

Without having measured a Long range with performance motors, as we have never had this combination in Europe, my guess is that these cars should feel and be a little quicker to 60mph as more of their power is within that speed band. Also, since the rear motor can take more power, they should be more rear power focussed.

At higher speeds there should be no difference or there might even be a small advantage for the base motor models.

In a Long Range the Battery is limited to 980A peak power, which is delivered to the two motors.

The performance motors deliver their peak power earlier in the speed band and they are also not limited to 220kW, like the base motors.

Without having measured a Long range with performance motors, as we have never had this combination in Europe, my guess is that these cars should feel and be a little quicker to 60mph as more of their power is within that speed band. Also, since the rear motor can take more power, they should be more rear power focussed.

At higher speeds there should be no difference or there might even be a small advantage for the base motor models.
I know it won't unlock the full Performance amps due to the software lock but yeah it would be cool if the MYLR with performance rear motor can eek out a tiny bit more HP than those with just base rear motor. For me it would just be the initial acceleration to 60 mph and not about top speed which I can care less about. Hopefully someone knows the answer.