Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What Mph will a Tesla charge at on a Juicebox 40

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
HPWC can be set for whatever circuit you have, up to 100A circuit (80A output). The limiting factor for charging speed is what charger you have in your car.
@Webeevdrivers This answer is about half right for your questions. The charging rate will be limited by the lower limit of these two factors:
(1) What level of charger you have in your car
(2) The level of the circuit and charging equipment outside the car.

In your case, you have a 50A circuit that can supply 40A continuous. That's all you can get from that circuit, whether it's a Juicebox or Tesla wall connector or anything else. And it won't matter if the car can take 48A or 72A or whatever, because 40A is still all you get from that circuit.
But if you are putting in a new circuit for charging, then you would probably want to look at what level of charging the car can take. Most of the other short range electric cars only have about 3 or 6kW chargers onboard. Teslas are generally higher than that, but you should check what the car has that you're getting.

The Model 3 LR has a 48 Amp OBC
The Juice is limited to 40 Amp

So the LR on the Juice will be 40 Amp * 240 V from the meter presuming the house and utility infrastructure can supply at the Juice limit. So 9.6 kW
Using US EPA of 126 MPGe, meaning 267.46 Wh/mile, that works out to
9600/267.46 = 35.9 miles per hour

The Model 3 LR has a 48 Amp OBC
The Juice is limited to 40 Amp

So the LR on the Juice will be 40 Amp * 240 V from the meter presuming the house and utility infrastructure can supply at the Juice limit. So 9.6 kW
Using US EPA of 126 MPGe, meaning 267.46 Wh/mile, that works out to
9600/267.46 = 35.9 miles per hour

Well, I wish I knew what car it will be. It is possible it could be a used S and if so I prefer the bigger charger (72 amp I think). If we get the 3 it’s a non issue. But I thjnk I’ll have the 100 amp circuit pulled just in case. If the three has a 48 amp charger I’ll get a Tesla wall charger and keep the Juicebox as standby.

Thanks for the input all. It’s a couple or three years away for the car but the wiring is being done this year.

Having the 100A circuit and an HPWC (V2 = current model) will also let you add a second HPWC in the future on the same circuit. Once you go electric, the second EV will come sooner than later :)

I hear ya. We are already a two EV Family. We can't afford a Tesla quite yet but it is in the retirement plan within a couple years. We currently don't need the longer range but will when we retire..

I don't know if we would ever need the second charger as we seldom need to charge concurrently...if ever... and probably never after we retire. But nice to know. Thanks.

Here is our line up. Luv my leaf...but wish it was a P100D :). Angela's smart ED is just the funnest car we have ever owned. :)

32730357470_e8559ab011_z.jpg

23342669259_3d1ef76ef2_z.jpg

Reactions: arcus