Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What my Prius has and Tesla doesn't.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dear all,

I really am a Tesla enthusiast and a near future buyer. However:

► My Prius has: (1) A sunglasses place in the ceiling. (2) Sun-covers (however you call it) with mirrors and automatic lights and stronger than the this plastic ones in the Tesla. (3) Ceiling grips above all doors. (4) Adjustable head rests. (5) GPS that can set to the direction the car goes (not only North). (6) In all doors room for 'things' even drinks.

So, nothing is perfect on this planet.

Regards,

Walter

My other car is a Prius (2005). Some of the mentioned accessories are things I occassionally miss, but by no means is it a clear win even on accessories:

Not the GPS. The Prius screen is puny, and I really like the MS layout of north up on the big screen and facing up on the instrument panel.

I am 5'11", the MS sun visors work much better for me than the larger ones on the Prius.

The MS screen is beautiful. The music options are much richer. The bluetooth integration works reliably.

The view out of the tailgate of the Prius is much better than in the Model S.

The hand holds are missed.

Originally, I did not like the lack of door pockets, but my wife pointed out that ultimately, the only thing stored in them was trash. Now, the trash gets taken out of the car quicker.

I do miss the sunglass holder. I keep a case in the cubby now.

Moving on to the larger points. We had to decide to leave the MS behing on a road trip from NH to Memphis, TN this summer because of lack of charging. That sucks, but it isn't a show stopper for me because I have confidence it will get better.

The drive is incomparable. I have never looked forward to getting behind the wheel so much before. Owning an MS means driving around an awesome looking high performance car that can easily fit your family and doesn't require gas. It is a paradigm shift.

In no way do I regret *upgrading* to this car.

Dear all,

► My Prius has: (1) A sunglasses place in the ceiling. (2) Sun-covers (however you call it) with mirrors and automatic lights and stronger than the this plastic ones in the Tesla. (3) Ceiling grips above all doors. (4) Adjustable head rests. (5) GPS that can set to the direction the car goes (not only North). (6) In all doors room for 'things' even drinks.

Regards,

Walter

And the point of starting this "discussion" was?.......

Not sure what the original poster point was either.

I've owned (and still own the most recent) 4 different Prius in the last 12 years, my most recent is a 2012 Advanced PiP.
I've driven it 3 times since I took delivery of my Model S, and that's mainly so it doesn't rust in place/battery die.
There's not much of a comparision between the Model S and the Prius, other than they are both cars.
Sure, the Prius interior is a bit more developed, I would hope Toyota could get it right after 16 years (original was released in 1997 in Japan). Toyota won't make a "real EV" until their hybrid sales go south, by then, it will be too late.
You can't blame them, they have invested $1 billion in hybrid technology.

Anyone need a 2012 Advanced Plug in Prius for a good price, let me know.

Dear all,

Regards,

Walter

Welcome? Great way to introduce yourself by bragging about your Prius, its over 60 cubic feet of storage and its 0-60 time of 4.2 seconds along with the ability to update software over a data modem....oh wait. Very weak list to brag about considering most or all of those will be addressed at some point. Car hasn't even been out a year.

My Prius had the sunglass holder and I never used it. I used this and also use it in my Model S. I just like it better and they're available everywhere. Including most gas stations.:wink:

Incidentally, I don't think the OP is a troll. Heaven knows we all have a few minor interior issues that we can bring up and we do quite often.:smile:

The Prius is a great car. It was amazing to me 10 years ago. As most of us know however, the Model S has completely changed the game. Any comparison based on the 6 issues listed just seems like an unproductive exercise. Particularly on this forum. The MS is (yes, for me) simply the most amazing car on the planet. The Prius was an amazing car and I was proud to drive it. I never looked for ANY excuse to drive it as I do with the MS. It's simply addicting. My experience has always been that anyone who drives the car simply wants one. Cup and sunglass holders, and visors etc... not withstanding.

That's the most amount of snippiness I've seen in a thread only two pages long. I appreciate the initial post and its enumeration of a number of small things readily available in autos that the S lacks.
My own preference - I like to see a low limit on the number of cup-throwers a vehicle has - this march towards making our vehicles the eating establishment of choice for many Americans is, in my not very humble opinion, boorish. On the other hand, I also am a fan of ceiling grips. So, while the S has a spectacular number of wonderful features, it's good to hear examples of what else might be considered appropriate.

Or, I could go on about how I can haul two commercial Vikings ranges, plus a few thousands of dollars of foodstuffs, all the way across the Alaska Range in my F-350. That would be about at the level of some of the responses above.

Dear All,

I am the one that started this discussion. Sorry. All I had in mind is that I hope by the time I order my Tesla, most of this things will be implemented. Note that these are not minor shortcomings on a near-supercar. In Europe we appreciate those things (re: Merc and Bmw) + Just google to the new S-class from Mercedes features. The biggest shortcoming is the GPS not being able to turn to the direction the car goes. Now it is up to Tesla to install enough quickchargers along the main roads in central Europe. This will be the one-and-only way to get started here. I hope for the best and look forward to have Tesla listening to these wishes. I give them a lot of credit for a car that is so recent on the market.
Regards,
Walter