Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What new options would make you trade-up and get a new Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm curious and perhaps a bit jaded on this fact. I've always changed out my cars between 1-3 years of getting them, and I've had my Tesla for almost a year now and I have no itch of getting a new car. Obviously the only route I would go is Tesla if I did buy a new car, but I feel that my P85+ has all the features I would want for years to come.

Early on I told myself this car was like the 1st Gen iPhone that didn't have 3G, and in a year or two people would be itching to get a new model, but there are simply not enough hardware changes / improvements (maybe because they're not necessary) to justify a new Tesla purchase.

I see that after they made mine last year, they increased pricing, added sensors, power folding mirrors, and other minor (to me) things. I'm sure in time as battery tech increases the range will improve, but other than that, I don't see any new features from other cars or in the marketplace that we're missing.

Am I crazy or can this truly be a car that you can keep for 8-10 years without suffering any envy for new tech in newer cars? (battery degradation notwithstanding)

The only thing that made me jump from my 7 year old MK5 GTI (130k miles) was going full electric drive. Something that I wanted since college. I actually shopped a Subaru STI (and WRX), BMW 3 wagon, R20 MK6, A3, Mazadspeed 3, and probably some others I now forget.

All I remember that I liked my 100k mile 6 year old GTI more than everything I tested it against. The STI/WRX was close, and well the R20. But paying for the upgrade wasn't going to happen.

I think the Model S is going to be the same. Sure they could bring out better versions, more options, but I was happy with the car I bought, at the price I bought it. And unlike mobile phones which can always be faster and better, the Model S already does more than I would ever need car wise. Unless something comes out that lowers my expectation of my current car (serious safety problem for example). I don't think I'll get rid of it voluntarily any time soon.

Maybe if they lowered price to a point where a new car was less expensive than my current car. Even then I doubt I'd get rid of it.

I'm a happy camper too. Don't mind not having the parking sensors, the power folding mirrors and other such minutiae.

Autopilot is intriguing though. I may consider upgrading in 8-10 years to a new car with a large battery pack and some mature version of autopilot.

In the medium term, more focused on upgrading wife's ICE to a Gen III Tesla.

I bought a Model S because I care about the environment. I have never owned a car for less than 7 years because buying a new car is probably the worst thing you can do for the environment versus running your existing vehicle as long as possible. I plan on keeping my Model S until it literally stops running. For me, buying a car is not about envy. It's about necessity. When making that choice, I try to be as environmentally responsible as possible.

I bought a Model S because I care about the environment. I have never owned a car for less than 7 years because buying a new car is probably the worst thing you can do for the environment versus running your existing vehicle as long as possible. I plan on keeping my Model S until it literally stops running. For me, buying a car is not about envy. It's about necessity. When making that choice, I try to be as environmentally responsible as possible.

^^^^Mostly this, but if there was a battery with longer range, I'd be very tempted.

To make me want to upgrade my P85? Lets see, All wheel drive, 12 way adjustable drivers seat, at least 4G or above internet speed. Air conditioning vent in the Frunk as an option for keeping groceries cool in a hot climate. longer range battery option.
That's about it.. Barring some unforseen flaw, I don't know why I would change out this car like I used to do... Great Vehicle!

500 mile battery, 6G internet, drives on water, power/charged by rainbows, and complete autopilot would make me trade in my current signature. Non-function that could not be repaired of the current car would also make me trade in, but not in the spirit of the OP.

Very noble of you but also not very good for the environment. Your logic only makes sense if your used tesla is scrapped after you sell it. Buying a new tesla means someone else will buy your used one and likely trash their gas powered one. Thus by selling your tesla and upgrading one day you'd actually help the environment!

My car was delivered in April, and has parking sensors, folding mirrors, etc. I really don't think there is anything out there that I miss. I am happy with the Model S just the way it is. My guess is, that when longer-range battery packs become available, that I would keep my current car and buy the bigger battery pack.

Higher capacity battery
Convertible
AWD with more power
Better front seats - A bench seat would have performed as well as the existing front bucket seats (not much side bolster) and could have seated another person.

The Model X will have AWD, but I am not interested in an SUV like vehicle. Although I loved my Corvette convertible, I do not wish to revert to a 2 seater.

I'm going to try and keep my Sig Model S as long as possible but bigger battery to give 350 miles at 70mph would be great. Would allow for longer day trips without recharging too. AWD might be nice in a + version. I'm looking at whatever will be out in 2020.

Am I crazy or can this truly be a car that you can keep for 8-10 years without suffering any envy for new tech in newer cars? (battery degradation notwithstanding)

My wife and I upgrade our smartphones / tablets / notebook computers every few years. But the product development cycle on those items is a lot faster than what happens in cars. And Tesla is a small company with limited resources so major upgrades will be several years apart.

Right now I can't imagine what would motivate me to replace my S85 in less than 8 years. The various self-driving functions on the horizon don't excite me. Longer range? Not really needed right now and even less so over time as the SC network expands.

A different but related question is what would make people who haven't yet bought a Model S buy one?

The real answer to this for me is the SC rollout. I have many business day trips to cities that are 100-120 miles out. Fortunately, 2 of the 3 cities in question are on the coming soon map. But until then, I'm concerned that a 200-240 mile round trip would be cutting it too close. Destination charging availability is way too uncertain and I don't have time for slow charging in route. I would buy a Model S today if that issue was resolved. While I wait though, hopefully the seat upgrade and some interior refinements will come out as added bonuses.

A different but related question is what would make people who haven't yet bought a Model S buy one?

A test drive :)

- - - Updated - - -

The real answer to this for me is the SC rollout. I have many business day trips to cities that are 100-120 miles out. Fortunately, 2 of the 3 cities in question are on the coming soon map. But until then, I'm concerned that a 200-240 mile round trip would be cutting it too close. Destination charging availability is way too uncertain and I don't have time for slow charging in route. I would buy a Model S today if that issue was resolved. While I wait though, hopefully the seat upgrade and some interior refinements will come out as added bonuses.

200 is really no problem. 240 can become a problem in bad weather. I've done trips 100-120 miles each direction many times without recharging, and if I had to I could always stop at a public charger for 30 minutes or so to pick up enough range to get back home.

I am good with mine. While I would like AWD the car behaved well enough in snow last year to prove it is not essential to me (my wife on the other hand insists on AWD, thus the reason for replacing her gas hogging SUV with an X or AWD S in the future, but I digress, 'wife rant over:wink:). I don't want/need a larger battery pack but I would like faster SC charging. IF, for some reason TMs future Ss had a battery 'D'
( thinking of the A vs B battery debate) that could be charged from near empty to full in 5-10 minutes and my current one could not....I would seriously have to consider trading mine in.

- - - Updated - - -

Very noble of you but also not very good for the environment. Your logic only makes sense if your used tesla is scrapped after you sell it. Buying a new tesla means someone else will buy your used one and likely trash their gas powered one. Thus by selling your tesla and upgrading one day you'd actually help the environment!

I liked AmpS environmental argument but I agree with you KOL. Had not considered that, well said.

Yes, ICE replacement with a new ICE is a net loss for the environment particularly with the older ICE most likely being less-fuel-efficient (initially and with age). Not as much with EVs where there's indeed a weak, low-inventory secondary market for used cars currently.