Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What on earth is going on?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had my car for a month now and have a 3,000 miles on it, but something is really confusing me about the charge kWh.

My car is a 75D but with the new 85kWh battery (software locked - so irrelevant for these purposes). I charge to 90% mostly. I get a stated range of 221 from this.

The 'since last charge' figures say the following. Miles 152, kWh 53.1, average kWh/mile 351. Which is fine, until you know that I only have 15 miles of range left!! So if that 15 miles equates to about 6% battery, it means that my 90% battery will be about 57.5kWh?

Now I know that my 75kWh battery will be about 71kWh usable, but that still means 90% would be about 64kWh,

So what's going on? Where's my missing 6.5kWh!

A new 75D was rated for 259 miles, and 90% would be about 233 miles. Since your 90% gives a stated range of 221 miles, that implies that your battery has lost about 5% of its original range. So now your 71 kWh becomes about 60.5 kWh at 90%. If you add vampire losses and internal battery losses, the 57.5 kWh you get seems about right.
BTW, your 351 Wh/mi seems a little high, unless you're driving pretty fast.

The trip meter doesn't account for usage when you are not driving. Are you charging daily? If you go several days without charging you will see vampire losses cumulate that is not accounted for.

Some options that use (or save) power and is not accounted for in the trip meter:

Vampire losses (Higher if you use 3rd party data logging services)
Smart (dumb) pre-conditioning
Cabin Overheat protection
Always Connected
Energy Saving mode
Heat losses internal to the battery while driving.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
A new 75D was rated for 259 miles, and 90% would be about 233 miles. Since your 90% gives a stated range of 221 miles, that implies that your battery has lost about 5% of its original range. So now your 71 kWh becomes about 60.5 kWh at 90%. If you add vampire losses and internal battery losses, the 57.5 kWh you get seems about right.
BTW, your 351 Wh/mi seems a little high, unless you're driving pretty fast.

I’ve never seen anything like 259 at 100%. Most I’ve seen is 245. Although admittedly I’ve only ever gone to 100% 3 times.

Am I normal or should I be seeing this 259 at 100%?

And yeah. I drive it hard - still in honeymoon period :)

I’ve never seen anything like 259 at 100%. Most I’ve seen is 245. Although admittedly I’ve only ever gone to 100% 3 times.

Am I normal or should I be seeing this 259 at 100%?

And yeah. I drive it hard - still in honeymoon period :)
I lost a similar amount of battery rated range very early on with my car also. The good news is I have had my car almost 2 1/2 years and 42k miles and it hasn't lost any range since then.
I think everything seems normal with your car at this point, just keep an eye on the battery range. I wouldn't expect it to continue dropping much from where you are now.