Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What options do I have?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I hit the pole in parking lot while backing up and my driver side back door is damaged.

The Tesla authorized repair shops ( Excellence and Leon’s) are suggesting to change the door. Cost is in range of 4.5 to 5 K. It is not a big dent but shops are suggesting that as it is aluminum, you better replace it. Labour is actually 65% of the estimate.

1) My deductible is 750. I can try to call Insurance and see if they will cover it. I know this will increase my premium in future

2) I doubt any other Body shop can do job on Tesla in GTA? Any suggestions?

3) Should I cough up such big amount myself as this will help in reducing the premium in future.

My few seconds of lack of focus is costing me fortune.

Any suggestions on what I should do?

You can ask your agent their opinion on how much your insurance will go up. It might not. Even if it does, it will only be for a few years.

How much do you pay for insurance now? Even if it goes up by $500 per year, it would take 10 years of increased premiums to equate to the $5000 you would be out of pocket now if you paid yourself. If it were me, I'd put it through insurance.

I will share but then I will still have to go for paint and I am not sure how 2 different shops will be handled by insurance

Every insurance claim will show up on Carfax. I don't think you would want any repair done by a non-authorized body shop to show up for your Model 3 when it comes time to sell/trade-in, right? I would either pay for the whole work out of pocket or get it done through insurance at one of the Tesla authorized body shops.

Reactions: Viv ki Bijli
Every insurance claim will show up on Carfax. I don't think you would want any repair done by a non-authorized body shop to show up for your Model 3 when it comes time to sell/trade-in, right? I would either pay for the whole work out of pocket or get it done through insurance at one of the Tesla authorized body shops.
That’s what I did. I have gone through insurance and by a Tesla approved service centre