Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What other adaptor connectors do I need for non Tesla Chargers for My MYP?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As I am prepping before the delivery of my MYP, what other adapters do I need to charge my Tesla at non Tesla charge stations? Is there a universal adapter that is needed as I under stand the Tesla connection is not the standard? Any link to which should be purchased would be appreciated. Thank you for your help.

As I am prepping before the delivery of my MYP, what other adapters do I need to charge my Tesla at non Tesla charge stations? Is there a universal adapter that is needed as I under stand the Tesla connection is not the standard? Any link to which should be purchased would be appreciated. Thank you for your help.
You get a j1772 adapter with the car(and you don't even need the UMC to use it).

There is no other standard to speak of. Buy the adapters you are likely to use when you are on trips to grandma's house(literally!), or other vacation spots. A 14-30 is the standard dryer outlet.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
As stated, every new Tesla vehicle comes with a Tesla to SAE J1772 adapter. You can use this adapter to charge at any public Level 2 (208 to 240V) charging station.

You can purchase a CHAdeMO adapter from the Tesla Store. This adapter costs $400. The CHAdeMO adapter can be useful if you travel to areas with limited Tesla Supercharger installations. In the Northeast there are ample Tesla Supercharger locations so unless you stumble upon a free CHAdeMO charging station you probably would not need or want to purchase the CHAdeMO adapter.

Reactions: GeezerSquid
You get a j1772 adapter with the car(and you don't even need the UMC to use it).

There is no other standard to speak of. Buy the adapters you are likely to use when you are on trips to grandma's house(literally!), or other vacation spots. A 14-30 is the standard dryer outlet.
As stated, every new Tesla vehicle comes with a Tesla to SAE J1772 adapter. You can use this adapter to charge at any public Level 2 (208 to 240V) charging station.

You can purchase a CHAdeMO adapter from the Tesla Store. This adapter costs $400. The CHAdeMO adapter can be useful if you travel to areas with limited Tesla Supercharger installations. In the Northeast there are ample Tesla Supercharger locations so unless you stumble upon a free CHAdeMO charging station you probably would not need or want to purchase the CHAdeMO adapter.
Thank you both. It seems the J1772 adapter is up the main adapter to plug-in to other non Tesla chargers minus the CHAdeMO adapter. $400 I’ll pass considering it might never be used. Yeah I was think of getting the 14-30 adapter but might need like a 50ft extension cable as most don’t have a dry outlet near the garage. :)

Thank you both. It seems the J1772 adapter is up the main adapter to plug-in to other non Tesla chargers minus the CHAdeMO adapter. $400 I’ll pass considering it might never be used. Yeah I was think of getting the 14-30 adapter but might need like a 50ft extension cable as most don’t have a dry outlet near the garage. :)

You should ask yourself how much you drive on a daily basis. If its less than 75 miles or so, a standard 120V outlet would take care of your needs.

I made my own 240V extension cord out of a 50' long welding cable, a 14-50 plug for one end and a 14-50 receptacle for the other end. Works great when I visit friends / relatives :)

Keith

Reactions: GeezerSquid