Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What other car manufacturer on the planet does this?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1E149F8C-DDC5-47CF-BAA5-906B88EB69F7.jpeg
So I called my Tesla service center for a routine maintenance checkup, 40,000 miles on my 85D. They said no need to drive to Kansas City, we will come to you!
They made an appointment with me and came to my home, did the service and recalls in my garage, NO CHARGE and the tech was a totally cool guy to boot. Great job ! INCREDIBLE COMPANY!

That's great. I'm a bit unclear as to their current policy on mobile services? Is it just at the discretion of the SC as to whether to send mobile service or make you come in? Or are there some guidelines?

That's great. I'm a bit unclear as to their current policy on mobile services? Is it just at the discretion of the SC as to whether to send mobile service or make you come in? Or are there some guidelines?
In our area they default to mobile unless it needs something only a full service center can do.
Also almost no wait for mobile. Choose it if you can.

I have to wholeheartedly agree with the title of this thread! I had a similar recent experience to that of the OP. I got a "12V battery needs maintenance" warning on my IC. I called Tesla and they told me they did see the warning and would call me back within 24 to 72 hours to confirm a Tesla Ranger coming to my home or workplace to replace the battery. Within 36 hours, the appointment had been made to come to my home the following day (meaning third day after I received the warning). The Ranger showed up on time and told me it would take between two to three hours to complete the work. I asked why it would take so long to change the battery, whereupon he told me, "Oh, I guess they didn't tell you - I am also doing the Takata airbag recall (which I knew about) and a drain problem recall (which I did not know about) on the rear hatch. He completed the work in about two and a half hours, which, considering it required an significant removal and replacement of most of the left side of the dash area for the airbag replacement, I thought was fairly quick. The quality of the job was excellent. You cannot tell the dash was disassembled - no gaps, no rattles, etc.

Like the OP said, "What other car manufacturer on the planet does this?" My answer - none! Thanks Tesla San Rafael Service Center!

On the other hand--I live in Santa Barbara and they no longer do Roadster service here. The car has to be trailered to Pomona. So I sent the car down to get the new improved headlights they were offering. It was a couple hour job and the car was there two weeks. No big deal. But when I got the car home, I found the high beam didn't work on the left light. I paid a couple thousand bucks for the lights so I wanted the lights fixed as something obviously was wrong with the install and it isn't safe driving the car at night without proper high beam headlights.

I have called a dozen times. Once I got a person who took my message. Once I left a voice mail. The rest of the time I get the phone mailbox and it is full. So I tried my local service center to try and contact Pomona for me. He has sent messages twice in the last week--no response. I have been trying for over a month to get this issue resolved--and so far not even a return phone call. Not very good customer service!

Reactions: croman
I agree that Tesla bends over backwards to help when it can. I have had them drive 120 miles to my house, bring me a loaner, repair my car and later bring it back.
One must consider however, that with so many cars on the road now, glitches will occur.
Several months ago, I had a flat at night while driving in the winter in New Hampshire. I had a mounted spare tire available which I had purchased from Tesla. Tesla road service refused to put the spare wheel on for me. Instead they offered to take my car 40 miles out of my way on a flatbed truck at night to a closed garage and leave me stranded 15 miles from home.
When I wanted to get a defective 12V battery replaced, Tesla Mobile Service told me the batteries were on backorder and did not contact me again.
I think the company is quite big now and minor glitches like this may occur. In spite of this, Tesla has been an extraordinarily helpful company.

Well, since 2011 I have had (fortunately) very little need for service and what I needed was minor. Now, however, things are very different. My recent experience has been VERY different. Not even a return phone call from service after at least a dozen calls in the last month! A diametrically opposed experience to those mentioned above!

Wow! I can only wish for service like that. Our nearest (only) Tesla service center for New Zealand is in Auckland 1200 km (750 miles) away from Christchurch - NZ's second largest city. That drive also requires a 4 hour ferry ride across to the North Island and an overnight charge (or two) because of gaps in supercharger coverage. Mind you it's a 17 hour trip in any case.

We had a new X delivered in September, and in January the front passenger door stopped working. I think the belt is just slipping, and it is still useable manually. This is a warranty repair, and we were promised remote servicing when we purchased, but apparently things really have changed.

The only option we are being given for any service at all is to hand the car over for at least 3 weeks so it can be shipped (literally, on a ship) up to Auckland so they can have a look at the door. There used to be a Tesla loaner car (yes, one), but they sold it while we were waiting for it to come free; so we would now be provided with a random ICE rental in the meantime. I fly to Auckland every month for under $50; but Tesla wants to ship the car. With decisions like that any other company would go broke.

Not a great story.

Love the visits.... Let's ask ourselves a serious question though...

If Renaldo gets electrocuted and dies in your garage. Would you br liable for a lawsuit due to it happening on your property?

I mean it's a grey area no one talks about. Who would administer first aid for this individual working alone?

Meanwhile, in Hong Kong, they don't do services at home only at service centres, and have abandoned the pick-up and drop-off service they used to run (ie they no longer pick it up and drop it off, you have to drive to the service centre - and they are all in out-of-the-way locations with minimal public transport). Oh, and the loaner I had while they spent more than six weeks (!!) trying to fix a persistent rattle from the front (which required pretty much the entire front suspension being replaced, bit by bit, as they tried to work out what the problem was) was a P100D which I was very excited about (even though it was an old one - I have a facelifted 70D so was looking forward to blasting about the place and trying out Ludicrous mode) until I discovered they had locked it down in Chill mode and capped it at 99km/h (61.5mph). B*stards.

Still, they fixed the rattle, and clearly something was quite significantly wrong!