Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What other cars did you consider when shopping for MS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lexus LS460l, but could not believe it had not changed all that much since my 2007.

BMW M5, like the car but a prior BMW experience with very poor Calgary service made me decide to continue to stay away.

Audi A8 - I liked the car but was worried how reliable it would be.

Mercedes S class - liked the car, but again reliability was top of the mind. Figured the MS would be at least as good quality and hopefully better and really liked how different the MS was and also really liked the styling and so was sold.

Actually, I should confess. For a little while during last year, I had been thinking about a Lexus SC and was waiting for news about the 2017 models. However, at that time, I had not really thought much about a Tesla. Later in the year, I started thinking about a Tesla. After that, the only question in my mind was "when am I going to order the Model S?"

Somehow, I resisted ordering one when the first news about ending FUSC came out. I just figured I was still good for a couple of years. Then came the extension, which I managed to put out of my mind . . . until January 15.

Nice comments

I just like to keep options open

Wife is looking at i8 today. and yes we really like the clean lines of the Tesla
20170225_111403.jpg

I was watching craigslist for a few older model Lexus and an Acura TL while waiting for used MSs to get down to $40,000 and below. I test drove a private party 2002 Lexus SC 430. My 15 year old daughter was begging me to get one. I think we were within $1000 of closing the deal, but I walked away and it sold soon after. I was concerned about it's safety anyway. My daughter would kill me if she knew how close I was to buying her dream car. Obviously my frugality wins out over my love for cars. It's amazing how much money you can save buying a used Toyota/Lexus. This had been one of my money saving strategies for almost 20 years. Then Tesla came out with the new MS 60. I told my wife how I could get a brand new MS for $58,000 and she told me to go ahead. Of course I ended up getting $10,000 worth of extras, but she seemed okay with having a $1,000 car payment. So now I have my dream car and have officially began my midlife crisis. Frugality be damned!

I had also been checking out the $10,000 used Leafs a bit, but I concluded that they were too small and unsafe. Darn! I could have saved big time.

2001-2005 Lexus SC 430
2005-Lexus-SC-430-Convertible-2.jpg

2006-2011 Lexus ES 350
00404_3mgXDIpb7wV_1200x900.jpg

2006-2011 Lexus LS 430
2007_lexus_ls-460_sedan_l_fq_oem_4_500.jpg

2004-2008 Acura TL
2007-Acura-TL-i026.jpg

Reactions: Indpowr
Porsche Macan
Lexus RX
Jaguar F-Pace

Didn't think that the MS would be within my price range until I came across one that just so happen to be in my area. I was dead set on an SUV, so glad we held out. We have a 3 on reserve, so the MS will probably go away.

When I pre-ordered my Smart Electric Drive in 2013, my wife bought a Mercedes SUV and drove it for months before I got my new car.

The Smart arrived and she took it out a few times with my little son beside her and they both decided it was the most fun and practical car for short trips around our neighbourhood.

The new electric model is out in a month, convertible late summer:
2017-smart-fortwo-cabriolet-us-spec-first-drive-review-car-and-driver-photo-670824-s-450x274.jpg

It may not be a Ferrari, but my kids love it!

Reactions: Indpowr
Definitely test drive both. My friend test drove the i8 and told me my Tesla blows it away. YMMV, but that was his opinion. The i8 is a very sharp looking car. I thought you bought a CPO? Or is this for your wife?

Waiting on the CPO and driving my cost from 69k to 91k opened up a lot of cars in the 90s range. so I didn't want to be like damn I should have looked at xyz car. I love cars as the MS will be #51 for me.

I just hope in many years it's not outdated like an old cell phone hahaha

To be fair, 3 years ago, when I bought my Tesla, there were limited options. Had the Chevy Bolt been available back then, I might have bought it. The range and size would have been fine for me. In three years I drove 50k miles on long road trips on superchargers exclusively. Something I could never have done in the Bolt. So if I would buy today, I think I would probably still pick the Model S.

When I pre-ordered my Smart Electric Drive in 2013, my wife bought a Mercedes SUV and drove it for months before I got my new car.

The Smart arrived and she took it out a few times with my little son beside her and they both decided it was the most fun and practical car for short trips around our neighbourhood.

The new electric model is out in a month, convertible late summer:
2017-smart-fortwo-cabriolet-us-spec-first-drive-review-car-and-driver-photo-670824-s-450x274.jpg

It may not be a Ferrari, but my kids love it!

oh yeah kids love it.

BGC55-little-people-all-around-car-d-1.jpg