Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What other EV SUVs have you considered?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jboy210

Supporting Member
Dec 2, 2016
Northern California
Since my X other is delayed, I am wondering what other EV SUVs I should look at? What attracts me to the X is the largish space (I only want the 5-seater) in the back, and the ability to convert it into a flat 6-foot cargo area. I also like the performance and would not want to go down much in that. I have considered things like the R1S, but not sure if they will become another DeLorean, and who designed those lights. Also, looked at the BMW IX series, but boy they are ugly, how did that grill escape the design studio.

Any suggestions?

Since my X other is delayed, I am wondering what other EV SUVs I should look at? What attracts me to the X is the largish space (I only want the 5-seater) in the back, and the ability to convert it into a flat 6-foot cargo area. I also like the performance and would not want to go down much in that. I have considered things like the R1S, but not sure if they will become another DeLorean, and who designed those lights. Also, looked at the BMW IX series, but boy they are ugly, how did that grill escape the design studio.

Any suggestions?

Truth be told, a Buick Enclave EV would've been perfect for my wife. She's not a fan of falcon wing doors, or some of the Tesla quirks. The Buick has tons (I mean, *tons*) of cargo room.

That said .... it doesn't exist, and isn't likely to.

BMW iX all the way! We test drove one and ordered it immediately. It handles better than any Tesla, has proper sound insulation and is quieter than anything on the road (can't even hear the wind), and accelerates like a badass. You will realize all that is missing in a Tesla driving experience by driving an iX or i4. You won't go back to Tesla I can assure you!

BMW iX all the way! We test drove one and ordered it immediately. It handles better than any Tesla, has proper sound insulation and is quieter than anything on the road (can't even hear the wind), and accelerates like a badass. You will realize all that is missing in a Tesla driving experience by driving an iX or i4. You won't go back to Tesla I can assure you!
Sound great. What is your delivery date?

Test drove one yesterday. Exterior doesn't bother us but interior leaves a lot to be desired when comparing to our 2020 X7 M50i. We are not sure we will take delivery when it arrives...
agree, I however care less on the iX exterior and interior because my model X isn’t any better :p, but the driving experience of iX is solid and quiet, it makes an EV fun to drive. iX drives like a sport car, X drives like an iPad on 4 wheels (I sometime wonder if the adoptive suspension is really working :p). On the other hands, iDrive 8 is too complicated and X UI is definitely simpler and easier to operate. Lastly, tow hitch isn’t available on the iX in the US market is a big let down to me.

Last edited:
agree, I however care less on the iX exterior and interior because my model X isn’t any better :p, but the driving experience of iX is solid and quiet, it makes an EV fun to drive. iX drives like a sport car, X drives like an iPad on 4 wheels (I sometime wonder if the adoptive suspension is really working :p). On the other hands, iDrive 8 is too complicated and X UI is definitely simpler and easier to operate. Lastly, tow hitch isn’t available on the iX in the US market is a big let down to me.

Yep, just like what I shared in an iX forum, while the exterior aesthetics, driving dynamics, and speed are phenomenal, the interior from the dashboard, screens, controls, UI, windows for rear passengers, and trunk space is leaving a lot to be desired. I had owned a Model X for 5 years unless there are mass improvements (physical buttons or separated screens for different functions at the minimum) from Tesla, I just don't see myself getting another one.

What are the issues with the interior?

It's probably just personal taste coming from an ex-Tesla, BMW, and Porsche family. ;)
  • Simplicity is not what a luxury brand should follow. The dashboard just doesn't feel solid with the floating screen(s).
  • While the carbon fiber body looks nice, it's not solid when closing doors
  • The material from the center console, cup holders, armrest area, seat controls (no luxury pkg), and idrive8 controls feels cheap and plasticky
  • Front doors/windows start low compared to other SUVs and I've adjusted the seat height.
  • Rear windows only go halfway down
  • Front seats don't "hug" us
  • The rear seats feel like a bench
  • UI in idrive8 including how to control AC is too complicated
  • Trunk space is more like an X3 than X5 and far less than X7

I have Lucid Grand Touring on order, love looks of car, in test drive it felt solid and responsive, Software is work in progress, with NVIDIA system hope they will catch up, I will buy it, hope delivery 07-08/2022, also drove MB-EQS, like car, luxurious interior, drives well, no FSD but L2 functions works, range 350 OK but dealer markups and attitude turned me off, also drove BMW iX, liked it but range 300 without access to superchargers can be inconvenient, was told earliest delivery in 2023 as they already have enough order back log, keeping Model X LR 7 seat reservation in place, see what happens