Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What other great purchases have you made?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Research shows that we are very bad at predicting the emotional effects of our purchases. Most people think that a purchase will make them happier than it ends up being after they make the actual purchase.

This has not been the case with my Model S. In fact, it has far surpassed my expectations which has led me to wonder what else have I purchased that has far exceeded my expectations.

I'd like to pose the question to the group. What purchases have you made (other than your Model S) that you consider far exceeded your exceptions and were in some ways life changing?

For me, it was laser eye surgery to correct nearsightedness. To this day, I still feel as if it was one of the best decisions of my life.

My Cannondale road bike. I find myself coming up with excuses to head out for a ride.
I initially thought it would be something I would do for awhile and then probably get bored with it. No so!
Great exercise and being outdoors is terrific. Plus it gets me fit for downhill skiing.

My Honda Accord hatchback in 1988, right out of college. I felt smart in that car.
My Current house. got a good deal on it and people like it.
My Geothermal HVAC system for the house. This one is the closest to the Model S in terms of experience after the purchase. I never regretted it and I always have to explain the technology to people who have no clue how heat is transferred.

In the model S though, I not only feel happy and smart but also distinguished and free.
I also experienced admiration and love from other people. I think that they felt as if I am making things better for them by buying this car. If nothing else, I was giving them hope. On more than one occasion, I have experience real admiration, not just for the car, but for me too.

Last edited:
I'd like to pose the question to the group. What purchases have you made (other than your Model S) that you consider far exceeded your exceptions and were in some ways life changing?

iPhone 5.

I never owned an iPhone until this year, although I have owned Apple iPods and Macs in the past. iPhone may not have the best specifications on the market, but there's something about the physical design and the software that makes it feel more pleasant to use than any of the phones I've used in the past.

Quite a number...those that come to mind...
1)My first TIVO--life changing technology at the time. Gave me a huge amount of freedom to be able to record and watch what I wanted when I wanted to instead of being a slave to the TV schedule.
2)My Prius--another life changer. Just changed the oil at 140,000 miles and it still runs great. Really changed my perspective on what a car can and should be and ultimately acted as the bridge to my purchase of a Model S.
3)Big Green Egg--Can't tell you how it's changed the way I cook and the quality of barbecue and grilling I do now. I own 2 and love them, they see use weekly if not more often.
4)Lake House--It's our place to escape from the business and clutter and pressure at home.
5)Our family's Around the World Ticket--We took a 10 month sabbatical working in Australia and New Zealand then traveling around the world for a couple of months. Life changing for our entire family, no way to put an amount to the value of that time together and the experiences we shared.

Big Green Egg?

Big Green Egg - The Ultimate Cooking Experience
EggGrouping.jpg

Big green eggs are pretty cool. every one in my area are into Traegers
I think the 1 acre of redwood trees and spruce (4-8' dia) mostly 2nd growth in Humboldt next to our house for the price of a Model S
is even better than the S. Beautiful and quiet, but it doesn't go fast. makes it hard to put $ into perspective when you walk through it

My last two cars were great purchases:
1993 Chevy K2500 (new)- still going strong after 180,000 miles. Absolutely reliable. Seems it will run forever..
1997 Dodge Viper (bought in 2000)- turns heads like nothing else, easy to work on, super fun. When I sell it, it will have cost me 125$ per month to own (not counting gas!)

For me, there has been one life-defining purchase.

It was a trip to the Soviet Union in 1989 when I was in high school. That trip opened up the world to me. I've since lived in Germany, France, Switzerland and Japan. I have a global career and I love every minute of it.

In the model S though, I not only feel happy and smart but also distinguished and free.
I also experienced admiration and love from other people. I think that they felt as if I am making things better for them by buying this car. If nothing else, I was giving them hope. On more than one occasion, I have experience real admiration, not just for the car, but for me too.

Wow, that's deep. And impressive if a car can elicit that type of emotion.