Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What other great purchases have you made?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought three acres of heaven in Northern California four years ago ... two creeks, pond, rock outcroppings, oaks, and lots and lots of wild life. And the best part is when I come home at night and the gates close behind me, I forget all the meetings and craziness of the day and just *am*.

I am grateful to live somewhere where you 'just want to be outside' (as my son says).

20 gallon electric home brew setup. Runs off two NEMA 14-30 outlets that now also charges my MS at 18 mile/hour!

u7usypez.jpg

This is a great thread. A view into the mind and life of whoever it is and whatever it is that makes whoever it is who buys a Tesla, buy a Tesla. Got that?
Home brew on a NEMA 14-30. Of course.
Bonnie if I knew how to give reputation points I'd pass 'em your way, always looking beyond the car and how it accents a life.

Anyone remember a year ago this week? Tesla announced it made 400 cars first quarter, was widely scoffed at. But we knew the tide can not be stopped.
Onwards.
Okay I'll add one more great purchase: running shoes. Good ones. Happily thrashed and trashed from the latest Spartan Beast. Best way to get a mud-facial.

My Martin Logan electrostatic speakers. They've allowed me to enjoy something I've loved my whole life, music, in a whole new dimension. Not unlike what the Tesla has done for driving as well.

I've had them for 10 years now and will keep them easily for another 10 years or more. I hope to say the same for the Tesla 10 years from now.

My Martin Logan electrostatic speakers. They've allowed me to enjoy something I've loved my whole life, music, in a whole new dimension. Not unlike what the Tesla has done for driving as well.

I've had them for 10 years now and will keep them easily for another 10 years or more. I hope to say the same for the Tesla 10 years from now.

Good to hear. I picked mine up a couple months ago and am loving them with my marantz receiver. They were the most recent addition to the av I mentioned in my post.

finding MOG for online music is another one for me.... It just does everything. Combined with multizone and airplay capabilities on my marantz receiver, it truly is powerful and i can play anything anywhere in my house at anytime. Now if it only had a tesla app....

Great thread!

- I've seen Bonnie's house. She ain't just whistling Dixie.

As for me, when we bought our new home a couple of years ago I got to design the basement buildout. A would-be architect as a kid, I took a different career path but found a lot of joy in creating the plan that included a studio for photography and a gallery space to hang prints (and a family room, and a guest suite,...). It's my retreat and I use it every day.

Cars:

The first brand new car I bought at age 21 was a 1980 Chrysler Cordoba. An odd choice for a 21-year old, but it was a fantastic car. I paid $8,800 out the door for a well equipped model (this was right a the point where Chrysler was practically giving them away) and sold it 6 years later for $5,000. The only problem I ever had with it was a starter motor that cranked over too slowly and was replaced. I was so impressed with Chrysler (and Lee Iaccoca at the time) that I bought a 1986 LeBaron GTS Turbo which was also a fantastic trouble free car. No less than 3 of my co-workers at the time bought LeBaron GTS's after seeing and riding in mine. During those years I had a number of friends who only bought Japanese cars, and continued to scoff at me with my Chryslers. By 1990, they were all driving Chryslers. My 85 year old mother is still driving her 1987 Chrysler LeBaron sedan. Yep, a 26 year old K-car with no rust and runs fantastic.

House:

My first home purchase was in 1982. I was pretty young, single and assumed a first and second mortgage plus a loan for closing funds. It was a stretch, but the real estate market really shot up in the intervening years. When I sold it, I listed it and promptly left for a two week vacation. When I came back, there had been a bit of a bidding war and I had two offers on the table - - both over my asking price. I almost tripled my investment. That set me up nicely for moving in to a bigger home, buying a second property and generally keeping my cost of home ownership low for the rest of my life.

Ok, gotta break up this Merrill party...I still have my original pair of Italian made Vasque Sundowners (and a newer pair of Italian made ones I got just as they started making them in Korea or wherever).

Surprised to see the electronics stuff...

LOL. I'm on my second pair of Sundowners too. I went into the store and told the "kid" I wanted Sundowners. He told me that the '67 Mustang was a good car in '67 but there are a lot of better ones out now. I tried on all the new stuff and bought the Sundowners and after taking them all around Glacier National Park, I'm not sorry. They're still great.

Mcornwell,

Nice!! Glad to see ReplayTV DVRs! I worked at ReplayTV back in 1999 and went through the various phases of lives and deaths (buyouts) of ReplayTV (left in 2004). I was the Director of Product Management at ReplayTV and added the Commerical Skipping feature to the product. I remember having to give a 8 hour deposition to the lawyers for the 20+ studios that sued us. Five years ago, I got rid of my ReplayTVs (with a heavy heart) when I got HDTVs for my home. I went to the darkside and got TiVos.:redface:

1. ticket to phish October 28, 1995 at the palace in Detroit. knew my life had changed when waling out of that show.
2. honeymoon safari in Kenya and Tanzania.
3. Swany Toaster Mittens- bought in Whistler over 15 years ago. just a really well designed mitten for skiing, including blade to wipe goggles, easy adjustment while wearing them, inner gloves and a zipper that let you pop out your fingers to use for dexterity required tasks, and if your hands got too toasty you just popped them open. still have two pairs, but as do not ski as much have yet to buy the ones that are touch screen compatible.
4. Tesla stock. :biggrin:

Nice!! Glad to see ReplayTV DVRs! I worked at ReplayTV back in 1999 and went through the various phases of lives and deaths (buyouts) of ReplayTV (left in 2004). I was the Director of Product Management at ReplayTV and added the Commerical Skipping feature to the product. I remember having to give a 8 hour deposition to the lawyers for the 20+ studios that sued us. Five years ago, I got rid of my ReplayTVs (with a heavy heart) when I got HDTVs for my home. I went to the darkside and got TiVos.:redface:

ReplayTV convinced me that DVRs were a viable entity. What a fantastic product. You deserve a hearty congratulations from me. It took, what, a decade for some of the features available in my 5040 to hit mainstream DVRs, and others are still rare to this day. I can only imagine what it'd be like if you weren't essentially sued (lawyered?) out of existence.

I kicked myself for years for not buying the lifetime guide data for mine, without which it was essentially useless after the month-to-month plans were killed.

I worked at ReplayTV back in 1999 ... when I got HDTVs for my home. I went to the darkside and got TiVos.:redface:

I also loved my ReplayTVs. When our last one finally died, I couldn't do the Tivo route...it was just too far a step backwards. Ended up using MythTV (Fedora back end, Mac Mini Front ends), which is has it's pros and cons, but I still miss the ease of the Replay's.

Thank you for building 'em.

Every Lego set that I've ever bought my son. The sheer, unbridled joy that I see in him as he puts his masterpieces together leaves me grinning much as my Model S does.

Another quirky one: I've enjoyed my accumulation of frequent flyer miles over the years through a variety of means. Putting together complex, multi-hop, round-the-world itineraries while flying in business class and seeing the world through my wife's and son's eyes has been so "rewarding". Next up: Great Circle Mapper

Working backwards from the Model S, I realize I've had quite a few...

* 2012 Jamis Coda Sport bicycle. Main motivation was to bike with my kids, but they're not into it yet. Even so, I now ride frequently -- to commute, to exercise, and to escape. Despite a few months off from falling and breaking my leg last October (yeah not fun), I still enjoy biking, and I've gone a total of >1600 miles so far.
* First iPhone (3GS for me). It can be problematic and distracting since I check it all the time, but I love having the entire internet in my pocket, just a swipe and a few taps away. I love this quote (apparently from Reddit):
I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers.
* Current house. In parts of the DC area, it can actually make economic sense to buy an old house, tear it down, and build new. A friend of mine did it in 2005, at which point my wife said unequivocally (and I had agreed) we'd never do something so crazy. We signed the contract in mid-2008 and moved in ~1 year later. Like @stevezzzz, I might have been an architect in an alternate universe, so I had a blast customizing the floor plan and making the house energy efficient. I didn't have the foresight at the time to install a 240V outlet in the garage, though! (BTW, earlier this year, my wife also said we'd never be so crazy as to buy a Tesla, and I had agreed!)
* Our twins (born in 2005) -- not a "purchase" of course, but they have certainly been life-changing and have exceeded all expectations!
* 2-week honeymoon in Hawaii in 2002. Incredible trip, 3 islands, furthest we've ever traveled from home (so far) and our longest contiguous vacation (so far).
* "C2K" - a Caribbean cruise in 2000 with a group of 30 people. I had started planning it 10 years prior as a way to stay in touch with friends from high school after we all split up for college. The 30 people ended up including many people from college, as well as my then-future wife.
* 1996 Acura Integra GS-R 4-door -- my first new car. Slight stretch for a recent grad with student loans. Manual transmission, tons of fun to drive, and it was still running nicely 111K miles later when I had to give it up for the "twinmobile" (2004 Mazda 6 wagon). The Mazda was a good car but doesn't make this list.
* Reaching waaaayyyy back, I could throw in the Amiga 500 (1989?) and Commodore 64 (198x?). I first learned programming on the C-64, and that set me on a path to software engineering, which I still enjoy.

1977--Triumph TR-7 My first sports car. I was stationed in Germany and took a MAC hop flight to England to purchase it at the British Leyland Export Center. They actually had a "Yank Drivers Course" set up on the property to teach people how to drive on the "other" side of the road.
1983--Osborn O-1 Computer Dual 90Kb 4.5 inch floppy drives, 64 Kb of RAM, and it had a 5" monochrome screen. Built like a sewing machine but heavier, it was VERY exciting.
2006 Pentax K-10 My initial foray into digital photography. I have been a Pentax fan for 40 years. Canon and Nikon are good machines, but Pentax is the little company whose innovations have changed the photographic world. I don't compare Tesla to Apple. (Never been much of an Apple afficianado.) I compare Tesla to Pentax.