TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

What other tech stock to consider?

Discussion in 'TSLA Investor Discussions' started by Sanny, Jul 10, 2013.

1. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Well-Known Member

Not to mention that FUV has already had two NHTSA recalls. Only for 66 and 104 vehicles, but still...

Maybe working with Munro will help eliminate those in the future.

2. gene

gene Supporting Member

Thank you Cosmacelf, good advice. I am $2 million into TSLA. Here I was looking at FUV with play money, just maybe $10k or so.

3. samppa

samppa Member

#2183 samppa, Jul 7, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
    And the price is way too high. They could have market at 5k, but not at 20k.

Here in europe, Seat mii electric with 33kwh battery is 15k€ after some discount and insentives.

Niu scooters look like a good product. Price here is actually less than a comparable ICE scooter.

So I bought a small stake.

4. UnknownSoldier

UnknownSoldier Unknown Member

NVDA briefly touched $400 today, intraday ATH. Jensen doing work. Ampere is going to be a blockbuster product launch.

• Informative x 1
  5. ZeApelido

ZeApelido Active Member

Not a specific tech stock, but any experience trading TQQQ or QLD? Basically 3x leveraged ETFs trying to track Nasdaq 100 / S&P500.

Obviously the downsides of losing 3x the rate of money, but if holding for a decade or more, it seems like they would be winners vs the unleveraged versions. Thoughts?

6. hershey101

hershey101 Member

Nope... Don't ever put money into leveraged ETFs, or short ETFs for more than a few day swing.... These products are renormalized on a daily basis, so they (for the most part) don't outperform in the long run. When they get below a certain threshold, they do a reverse split, or rebrand themselves and come back at a rational price.
    These are complex instruments for sophisticated traders to hedge, to swing trade, or day trade based on momentum. don't put money in them in a "buy and forget" or HODL mentality.

Unless of course, you believe that we will continue to rip higher every single day for the next decade as we essentially have done since the '07 crash (one line up)... In this case, yes you'll get more leverage (though still far less then the 3x promised).

If your really want to do it, at least read these links first so you know what you are getting into.

Why Are Leveraged ETFs Like TQQQ Not for the Average Investor?
    Why Leveraged ETFs Are Not a Long-Term Bet
    https://seekingalpha.com/article/2986586-what-the-numbers-say-about-long-term-investments-in-leveraged-etfs

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 2
    • Helpful x 1
  7. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Well-Known Member

I’ll double second this advice (did I just leverage the advice :confused:?)

• Funny x 1
  8. ZeApelido

ZeApelido Active Member

I get most of that, but I guess I'm still confused. Are they saying that my investment performance would not match that of the ETF performance? I understand the expense ratio will cut out a bit (like most funds), but it sounds like volatility when using derivatives will increases some expenses, which are taken out of my position?

Like if I buy 1 share of QLD at $160, and in 1 year it is at $200, I will not actually have $200 in my account, right? And it won't be $198 either (~1% expense ratio), it will be even lower because of slippage?

At that point would it show that I don't own 1 share anymore, but like 0.95 shares?

9. Buckminster

Buckminster Active Member

10. Nikxice

Nikxice Member

For several years I've owned BYDDF. Thanks to the recent surge in EV stocks I've finally clawed back into the green. Not vaporware, China's 'Build Your Dreams' has been making EVs for years. Also, like Workhorse (WKHS), ARKQ has been buying. They made a BYDDF purchase today of 33,345 more shares. As long as it's good enough for Cathie Wood my plan is to just keep on holding.

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  11. bxr140

bxr140 Active Member

Agree.

That said I'm very pro 3x ETFs and I have done very well (at least I think I have) over the past few years exclusively trading patterns in my 401k (mostly SOXL), with trade durations from a few hours to a few weeks. If you're willing to work harder than B&H and manage your FOMO, the swings can be profitable and you can usually beat B&H, while trading a smaller fraction of your capital and spending a smaller percentage of days actually in a position.

Mind, I'm a retail trading hack, so consider the source.

12. Buckminster

Buckminster Active Member

Cleanspark up 25% today. Market cap sell only $38m.

13. tinm

tinm 2020 Model S LR+ Owner

I know, I know. But i’m now all out of CLSK so am not paying attention :)

When it hits $20/share, thank me

• Like x 1
  14. Causalien

Causalien "The retired" 8 ball Oracle

Looks like upwk is being schilled on wsb right now. A stock that was previously discussed here. Might want to keep an eye on it and sell during a fomo pop.

15. hershey101

hershey101 Member

@ZeApelido No I'm not referencing the expense ratio... That will cause a hit, but that's not where the risk is.

Here's an example of what I'm talking about:

"For example, if the S&P 500 moves down 5%, a fund like the SSO should move down 10%. If we assume a share price of $10, the SSO should be down to about $9 after the first day. On the second day, if the S&P 500 moves up 5%, over the two days the S&P 500 return will be -0.25%. An unaware investor would think the SSO should be down 0.5%. The 10% increase on day two will bring shares up from $9.00 to $9.90, and the SSO will, in reality, be down by 1%."

or from the SA article:
    "
    Let me take an example from the aforementioned Morningstar article, entitled "Warning: Leveraged and Inverse ETFs Kill Portfolios." The author compares $100 investments in an index vs. a 2x ETF and a 2x inverse ETF of the index:

If you were to repeat 10 consecutive days of up 10% days followed by down 10% days, both of the leveraged funds would end up at $81.54, which is a sizable difference from the $95.10 the index would end at."

[​IMG]

• Informative x 1
  16. UnknownSoldier

UnknownSoldier Unknown Member

• Funny x 3
    • Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  17. hershey101

hershey101 Member

it takes the government's money and tracks your every movement... The government has deep pockets... it's good enough for me.

They also at one point back in 2013 had a financial analysis platform, idk what ever happened to that.

18. mblakele

mblakele DON'T PANIC

I don't have anything much to add, but this seems like a good discussion for this thread.

19. tivoboy

tivoboy Active Member

Sold NIO today, 15.75.. pretty certain it would go to $20, but with ASP ~$3, don’t be greedy I always say.. Probably going to get under $10 again, I’d be another buyer starting there.. add below $7 as well.

• Like x 1
  20. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Well-Known Member

Yes, with California closing down again, schools not opening for the fall, etc., the market is poised to go through another rough patch. If you are fully invested, selling now to then buy back in at a lower price isn't a bad idea. I'm talking specifically about growth/momentum stocks here. Dividend paying stocks will likely do OK. There might be a sector rotation going on as well.

• Like x 2