TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

What other tech stock to consider?

Discussion in 'TSLA Investor Discussions' started by Sanny, Jul 10, 2013.

1. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Well-Known Member

Wow, and I thought my investment in SpaceX was big ;)

Just a quick question/correction about @Boomer19 post above. I don’t believe SpaceX has anything to do with Boring company. They are separate, and as far as I know, has independent investors, with Elon, as usual, owning the biggest stake.

Honestly, I would invest money into Boring before I’d invest in SpaceX if that were possible. But Boring’s investors have only had their money in there for about two years, and there hasn’t been another big announcement to justify a share price increase, so there aren’t likely any selling shareholders.

• Funny x 2
  2. Boomer19

Boomer19 Active Member

oh ok, thanks for the heads up on Boring!

3. UnknownSoldier

UnknownSoldier Unknown Member

Li Auto IPO tomorrow for anyone that wants to play a little.

• Informative x 2
  4. WVCS

WVCS New Member

I am researching investment opportunities in robotics space and found useful this article (almost a year old currently). Thought I'd share. I was also curious to see if other people who might know the space better felt this article does a good or poor job of summarizing the opportunities. Among other companies mentioned in that article, I found Ambarella (Nasdaq: AMBA) enticing - strong founder CEO-CTO team with prior track record of success chasing large growing market opportunities. Some of the customers they sell to are impacted by COVID-19 and so I believe there will be short term impact. For example, Cognex (Nasdaq: CGNX), an AMBA customer and also mentioned in the linked article announced their Q2 numbers today and they are hurting.

5. Buckminster

Buckminster Active Member

6. 9837264723849

9837264723849 Member

Any suggestion for an e-bike stock, or soon to be listed company that kick ass in this space?

I've bought a thousand TSLA shares for the past eight years, but I've never had a car and don't plan to have one. So I'm kind of dumb.

Also, I only have a cheap manual bike and don't plan to switch to an e-bike either. Double dumb, but the question remains valid right? Any idea?

7. mblakele

mblakele DON'T PANIC

This might give you some leads:

The pandemic is giving e-bikes a boost

[...]

Big firms such as Accell and Giant of Taiwan compete with sporty brands such as America’s Cannondale and affordable city rides from QWIC. Brompton, a British maker of fancy folding bikes, has been making 10% of its £42.5m ($56m) in annual sales from the electric sort, and hopes eventually to raise that figure to 40%. VanMoof, which raised $13.5m from investors in May, bills itself as the Tesla of e-bikes. Like the electric-car maker it designs its own parts, motors and software rather than relying on off-the-shelf bits and bobs. The result is a more seamless product, boasts Taco Carlier, a Dutch engineer who co-founded VanMoof with his brother in 2009.

Demand is growing faster than manufacturers can keep up, leading to long backlogs and premium prices, which start at around $1,000. Giant says that its gross margin on e-bikes is around 25%, above its average of 21%. VanMoof’s machines go for $2,000 a pop.

[...]​

• Informative x 1
  8. tinm

tinm 2020 Model S LR+ Owner

FYI in case anyone's interested in this, their proposed stock symbol is VMAR.

VMAR (NASDAQ's placeholder, not much to see yet)

9. juanmedina

juanmedina Active Member

#2229 juanmedina, Aug 3, 2020 at 6:52 PM
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2020 at 7:11 PM
    I saw this of Reddit I don't know if is true but It could be another EV company going public

Screenshot_20200803-202812.png

• Informative x 2
  10. UnknownSoldier

UnknownSoldier Unknown Member

The news that a SPAC is going to acquire Lordstown Motors and relist it as RIDE is all over too. There's an EV IPO boom going on thanks to Tesla's rocketship ride this year.

11. Cosmacelf

Yes indeed, but unless you get in before these stocks start trading, I fear that most of them will trade down over time and many of them will go bankwupt. Remember that the historical record for startup car companies is bleak indeed.

The fact that most of these are reverse mergers into public shells or SPACs just puts the cherry on top as far as Danger! Danger! warning signs go.

I like my growth rocketship stocks as much as anyone, but there's gotta be underlying revenue there somewhere before I'll buy these stocks, even to flip them (since the market can turn on a dime at any time, especially in today's environment).

• Helpful x 1
  12. Cosmacelf