Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I paid around $40 billion with all the fees included.

Wow, and I thought my investment in SpaceX was big ;)

Just a quick question/correction about @Boomer19 post above. I don’t believe SpaceX has anything to do with Boring company. They are separate, and as far as I know, has independent investors, with Elon, as usual, owning the biggest stake.

Honestly, I would invest money into Boring before I’d invest in SpaceX if that were possible. But Boring’s investors have only had their money in there for about two years, and there hasn’t been another big announcement to justify a share price increase, so there aren’t likely any selling shareholders.

• Funny
Reactions: Boomer19 and pz1975
Wow, and I thought my investment in SpaceX was big ;)

Just a quick question/correction about @Boomer19 post above. I don’t believe SpaceX has anything to do with Boring company. They are separate, and as far as I know, has independent investors, with Elon, as usual, owning the biggest stake.

Honestly, I would invest money into Boring before I’d invest in SpaceX if that were possible. But Boring’s investors have only had their money in there for about two years, and there hasn’t been another big announcement to justify a share price increase, so there aren’t likely any selling shareholders.

oh ok, thanks for the heads up on Boring!

I am researching investment opportunities in robotics space and found useful this article (almost a year old currently). Thought I'd share. I was also curious to see if other people who might know the space better felt this article does a good or poor job of summarizing the opportunities. Among other companies mentioned in that article, I found Ambarella (Nasdaq: AMBA) enticing - strong founder CEO-CTO team with prior track record of success chasing large growing market opportunities. Some of the customers they sell to are impacted by COVID-19 and so I believe there will be short term impact. For example, Cognex (Nasdaq: CGNX), an AMBA customer and also mentioned in the linked article announced their Q2 numbers today and they are hurting.

Any suggestion for an e-bike stock, or soon to be listed company that kick ass in this space?

I've bought a thousand TSLA shares for the past eight years, but I've never had a car and don't plan to have one. So I'm kind of dumb.

Also, I only have a cheap manual bike and don't plan to switch to an e-bike either. Double dumb, but the question remains valid right? Any idea?

Any suggestion for an e-bike stock, or soon to be listed company that kick ass in this space?

I've bought a thousand TSLA shares for the past eight years, but I've never had a car and don't plan to have one. So I'm kind of dumb.

Also, I only have a cheap manual bike and don't plan to switch to an e-bike either. Double dumb, but the question remains valid right? Any idea?

This might give you some leads:

The pandemic is giving e-bikes a boost

[...]

Big firms such as Accell and Giant of Taiwan compete with sporty brands such as America’s Cannondale and affordable city rides from QWIC. Brompton, a British maker of fancy folding bikes, has been making 10% of its £42.5m ($56m) in annual sales from the electric sort, and hopes eventually to raise that figure to 40%. VanMoof, which raised $13.5m from investors in May, bills itself as the Tesla of e-bikes. Like the electric-car maker it designs its own parts, motors and software rather than relying on off-the-shelf bits and bobs. The result is a more seamless product, boasts Taco Carlier, a Dutch engineer who co-founded VanMoof with his brother in 2009.

Demand is growing faster than manufacturers can keep up, leading to long backlogs and premium prices, which start at around $1,000. Giant says that its gross margin on e-bikes is around 25%, above its average of 21%. VanMoof’s machines go for $2,000 a pop.

[...]​

• Informative
Reactions: replicant
OK guys, have I got a good one for you! This company is making high performance electric outboard and inboard power trains for boats for sale to existing boat manufacturers. They are tiny (14 employees. OK, really tiny). AFAIK, they have very little in the way of competition. They are looking to go public soon, and filed their F-1 (they are a Canadian company) on July 9th. Which means it'll be a month or two before they do go public (if they do).

You can read their F-1 here: https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1813783/000110465920082428/tm2021376d2_f1.htm

You can read about their technology starting on page 21.

This is a development stage company. While they have revenues, all they are currently doing is selling custom boats with another company's outboard electric motor. By doing so in the last couple of years, they have found that the overall system isn't very efficient. They believe by creating their own powertrain they can increase overall efficiency by a lot (like 80% or so). They have signed non-binding LOIs with boat OEMs to buy their powertrains when they finish development.

This is akin to buying Tesla before Tesla finished developing their Roadster. Except that the market is smaller. But still plenty big enough to propel this IPO. No doubt high risk since these guys could easily fall flat on their faces.

Company web site is here, but the prospectus is much more interesting: Vision Marine Technologies - 100% electric boats | Official Website

FYI in case anyone's interested in this, their proposed stock symbol is VMAR.

VMAR (NASDAQ's placeholder, not much to see yet)

Li Auto IPO tomorrow for anyone that wants to play a little.

I saw this of Reddit I don't know if is true but It could be another EV company going public

Screenshot_20200803-202812.png

Last edited:
The news that a SPAC is going to acquire Lordstown Motors and relist it as RIDE is all over too. There's an EV IPO boom going on thanks to Tesla's rocketship ride this year.

Yes indeed, but unless you get in before these stocks start trading, I fear that most of them will trade down over time and many of them will go bankwupt. Remember that the historical record for startup car companies is bleak indeed.

The fact that most of these are reverse mergers into public shells or SPACs just puts the cherry on top as far as Danger! Danger! warning signs go.

I like my growth rocketship stocks as much as anyone, but there's gotta be underlying revenue there somewhere before I'll buy these stocks, even to flip them (since the market can turn on a dime at any time, especially in today's environment).

Many thanks to @Singuy for introducing us to Fiverr (FVRR). My initial investment in mid April is up 2.5x, I've been seeing lots of ads from them on Twitter recently, and they're up 17% today after a great earnings report. It's kind of a referral management service for professionals... ads I've seen recently for Voice-overs and Architects.

Edit: two "r"s in Fiverr.

Last edited:
Many thanks to @Singuy for introducing us to Fiverr (FVRR). My initial investment in mid April is up 2.5x, I've been seeing lots of ads from them on Twitter recently, and they're up 17% today after a great earnings report. It's kind of a referral management service for professionals... ads I've seen recently for Voice-overs and Architects.

Edit: two "r"s in Fiverr.

Enjoying them gains myself! What a blow out quarter. I also predicted that their competitor upwork would crash and burn after ER since their growth is 13% and not 87%. You can tell just by the amount of review submissions for app downloads. Fiverr adds like 7k worth of reviews in 2 months from android play store, upwork has 35k TOTAL reviews. Not even in the same league. They say # review is about 0.5-1% of all downloads. So 150k download every 1-2 months from Apple and android combined is not too shabby.

• Informative
Reactions: Ocelot
Watch $ARLO. I’ve been buying since under 2$ during the pandemic. We’re now ~$6. It was in my pure speculation buy-out, Acquisition category. I think a buyout could be in the 10-14$ range.

I just looked them up on Amazon and it seems like people love their products. Isn't the security camera and door bells market very saturated? What is their competitive advantage?

Not exactly tech (more tech adjacent), but I'm pretty stoked on a position I'm holding as a result of technical+fundamental analysis and I wanted to share: I bought UPS calls ($105 strike) on 5/13/20 (underlying in the low $90's). This started out as a random find, based on a very occasional scan I run for changes in institutional ownership, and the subsequent analysis of the 'random' find led me to the position:

--Not a stellar recovery from covid, but obvious future demand since covid was obviously going to be around for a while
--Pretty significant increase in institutional ownership
--Low volatility (obviously good for buying options)
--Bullish P/C open interest ratio
--Underlying price was double-bottoming after a drop from Q1 earnings, and was also in a fairly strong support region

I bought OTM calls mostly just for the smaller ∆ and thus lower downside risk. Going into earnings a few weeks ago underlying ran up to a pretty significant price accumulation in the $120's...after deliberation I decided to stay in position for the call, based primarily on continuing demand for service and also because if it broke through that price accumulation it had a good ~$10 of headroom to run up to the next level of resistance--which was also the all time high. To my delight earnings went well--opening above that resistance/ATH--and its kept going since then including +7% today.

Cost basis on the contracts is $2.46.
The bid on the contracts is currently over $49, or in King's math, 1900% profit in 3 months. :eek:

Enjoying them gains myself! What a blow out quarter. I also predicted that their competitor upwork would crash and burn after ER since their growth is 13% and not 87%. You can tell just by the amount of review submissions for app downloads. Fiverr adds like 7k worth of reviews in 2 months from android play store, upwork has 35k TOTAL reviews. Not even in the same league. They say # review is about 0.5-1% of all downloads. So 150k download every 1-2 months from Apple and android combined is not too shabby.
Solid beat on earnings, so of course FVRR is down 9% today.
Fiverr International (FVRR) Q2 Earnings and Revenues Beat Estimates
It didn't beat the estimates as much as estimated. This used to happen to QCOM all the time too. Amazingly, less so with TSLA although still sometimes.

• Informative
Reactions: Cosmacelf
Solid beat on earnings, so of course FVRR is down 9% today.
Fiverr International (FVRR) Q2 Earnings and Revenues Beat Estimates
It didn't beat the estimates as much as estimated. This used to happen to QCOM all the time too. Amazingly, less so with TSLA although still sometimes.
Fiverr had many 10% down days and yet here we are over 100. I see this stock going to 200 before next earnings. Bought more today as it's a no brainier given the growth.

Fiverr had many 10% down days and yet here we are over 100. I see this stock going to 200 before next earnings. Bought more today as it's a no brainier given the growth.

Im watching this one for a good entry point. In general a lot of the tech stocks valuations are through the roof. This one is actually at a decent valuation.

Do you think FVRR will continue growing at the same clip? I mean how is the TAM? You saw what happened to some of the other hot tech stocks today. This was a solid recommendation btw. I did look it up back in April but never pulled the trigger.