Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just a shout out to look at GP. The stock is on sale. I suspect it has been going down due to drag from NKLA.

GP has been growing sales 100% the past two years. It appears to have solid and conservative management. And for the first time in their life, they have money in the bank from their recent NASDAQ listing. I expect them to do well going forward.

Disclaimer: I am an investor in GP.

So it is looking like GP is rising and falling as NKLA rises and falls. As usual, the market can't distinguish between two EV "manufacturers" who have absolutely nothing to do with each other. At some point, these two stocks will go their own separate ways. Probably with a positive quarterly result from GP.

Does anyone know what's "wrong" with CSIQ - Canadian Solar? They are consistently profitable and seem to be priced low when looking at PB ~1.0, PE ~6.5, PS ~0.4. The CEO/Founder offered to take it private, I think about two years ago, at around ~$18.00 but it was declined. They've recently announced a $150m share repurchase program (will remove ~16% of float if completed at around current price ~23.00).

I've been accumulating some CSIQ over the years but I am thinking to commit much more as it does seem like a good company to be in. Unless I am missing something.

I was unable to find any answers to my own question above, so I've been buying more Canadian Solar this year. It doesn't look like a hot tech stock, but it probably has the same or better growth potential with (I am hoping) lower risks, which is one of the reasons I've been adding it to my long-term basket. Since my prior post they suspended share buy backs due to Covid, raised 230M in convertible bonds, announced next year IPO of it's China's spin-off at 1.1B valuation, with offering of 260M.

Anyone else been following Canadian Solar? What are your thoughts?

I was unable to find any answers to my own question above, so I've been buying more Canadian Solar this year. It doesn't look like a hot tech stock, but it probably has the same or better growth potential with (I am hoping) lower risks, which is one of the reasons I've been adding it to my long-term basket. Since my prior post they suspended share buy backs due to Covid, raised 230M in convertible bonds, announced next year IPO of it's China's spin-off at 1.1B valuation, with offering of 260M.

Anyone else been following Canadian Solar? What are your thoughts?

Canadian market is very sleepy. Our stuff don't usually get the same hype highs as USA stuff unless the company manages to break into a global or US economy. If Canadian Solar is only selling to the domestic market, it probably have already saturated the market and what you see is what you get.

• Helpful
Reactions: RabidYak
Canadian market is very sleepy. Our stuff don't usually get the same hype highs as USA stuff unless the company manages to break into a global or US economy. If Canadian Solar is only selling to the domestic market, it probably have already saturated the market and what you see is what you get.
I'd say Canadian Solar is actually more a Chinese company headquartered in Canada. It's in Top 5 in the world per GWs produced, and Canada is not it's largest market. It's up ~50% since my February post, but as far as I can see it's still relatively undervalued.

Overall, I think the stuff suggested in this thread is pretty good.
Fiverr and Upwork have held up very good under all the volatility and even increased in value. I have started looking into the other stocks that are recommended in this thread.
I am also greateful that my penny stock mushroom hasn't disappointed.

Someone also convinced me to lean more into Biotech and tech, so I am going that route.

Haha - I trust Dave to do the heavy lifting. $3Bn market cap - plenty of room to grow. I would be a customer if I could. Because they give any excess profits beyond 25% to charity there is less reason to give you a hard time if you make a claim. I think that this will delight customers.

Has anyone here tried lemonade for their insurance?

Reactions: Green Pete
Has anyone here tried lemonade for their insurance?
If they could figure out a way to write a primary homeowners policy for my home in the SoCal mountains, I'd be inclined to invest! Alas, this is what Lemonade tells me:
Your house is at a risk for damage from wildfires. Unfortunately, this is not within our current guidelines and we cannot offer you a policy at this time. We'll let you know once our guidelines change.

What bothers me is that, rather than quoting a very high premium based on a data-driven risk assessment (underwriting process), insurers generally throw up their hands and refuse to quote. At least one quarter of California homes are considered to be in the "wildland urban interface". As bad as the fires have been, the vast majority of those homes are still standing. The recent, large fire in our particular mountain range burned something like five homes total, thanks to the firefighters.

Fair or not, that's my litmus test for investing in any insurance company. I don't care how slick or trendy an insurer's website may happen to be if they aren't helping to solve the number one problem in our state's insurance market. Telling a large fraction of homeowners to use the public "CA FAIR Plan" is not a real solution. My guess is that, if you live in an area prone to some other type of disasters such as hurricanes, you may be running into similar issues.

As for Lemonade's other products, renter's insurance and pet insurance, those kinds of policies are generally easy to buy anyway. So I'm not sure I see the big deal.

Fair or not, that's my litmus test for investing in any insurance company. I don't care how slick or trendy an insurer's website may happen to be if they aren't helping to solve the number one problem in our state's insurance market. Telling a large fraction of homeowners to use the public "CA FAIR Plan" is not a real solution. My guess is that, if you live in an area prone to some other type of disasters such as hurricanes, you may be running into similar issues.

I think it's totally fair. Lemonade appears to be trying to go after the low hanging fruit. Picking off the easiest and most profitable customers.

For anyone interested in the psychedelics space (see Compass Pathways - up 130% since IPO in September), a company called Field Trip (ticker FTRP) will begin trading tomorrow in Canada. I know one of the founders - very smart guy who was a key person at Ashley Madison when it was becoming popular, and also did very well with Aurora Cannabis. Full disclosure - I do have a position in this company but wanted to share as I think it will do quite well in this growing field.

Field Trip Health | Psychedelic Therapies That Bring You to Life

• Informative
Reactions: Buckminster