Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anybody have any thoughts about ticker ASTI? A fellow I know in the solar industry recommended it 2 days ago to me. Not doing any research at all, I bought a measly $1,000 worth at $0.0209 yet here it is 2 days later up 30%. Damn, should have bought more!

"A fellow I know in the solar industry". Care to be more specific? What does he do, why did he recommend it? It's just that penny stocks are VERY susceptible to pump and dump operations. If you've made 30%, I would suggest selling and taking your winnings unless you know more about the company.

Reactions: jeewee3000 and gene
Well, yes! It's a real paper. I gave links, I suggest a quick skim at least.

View attachment 656273

And you are correct, only one result has a significant p value. I knew I was going to get in trouble when I said the papers convinced me that it works. What I meant was that it convinced me enough to do more due diligence into the company itself. In the end, it matters not what any of us think of the compound, what matters is what the FDA thinks of it since this company has been trying to market it as a prescription drug.

Uh, you aren't going to find in vivo human studies. You might find destructive animal studies. As I said, they have done in vitro studies clearly showing mechanism of action. It seems is takes many months for the body to get rid of the chelated compound.

At this stage, for FDA approval, they need at least some kind of tissue study showing it properly chelates in tissues. I'm assuming that is there, somewhere, of the odds of the FDA allowing even Phase 1 trials would be extremely low. The tissue studies would show at least that the compound is binding to metals in tissue, even if they have not been cleared from the body. If I were on an FDA panel evaluating this drug, that's what I would want to see before moving to Phase 1 trials.

At this stage, for FDA approval, they need at least some kind of tissue study showing it properly chelates in tissues. I'm assuming that is there, somewhere, of the odds of the FDA allowing even Phase 1 trials would be extremely low. The tissue studies would show at least that the compound is binding to metals in tissue, even if they have not been cleared from the body. If I were on an FDA panel evaluating this drug, that's what I would want to see before moving to Phase 1 trials.

You mean before moving to phase 2. Well, they have moved to phase 2. I just don't know, yet, where they are at with that. Will know once I get the revised PPM, which will takes weeks, BTW, since this company does both a scientific review and a legal review of their PPM, which, again is a testament to how careful they are.

• Helpful
Reactions: MP3Mike and PeterJA
"A fellow I know in the solar industry". Care to be more specific? What does he do, why did he recommend it? It's just that penny stocks are VERY susceptible to pump and dump operations. If you've made 30%, I would suggest selling and taking your winnings unless you know more about the company.
My friend is a solar installer who is obsessed with following new PV companies. He mumbled something about 93% of the shares owned by some rich guy in Germany, mumbled something about ASTI contracted to be used on somebody's satellites. Not worth my time to do my own research. My whole investment as of this morning is a mere $2,000 with 40+% profit in three days. With such a small investment of now 80,000 shares, I put a $0.98 sell limit for a return of $79,000. If I lose the whole $2k, it's chump change in the big picture. If I win the $79K, I'll buy that new toaster oven that @StealthP3D says is available again.

Can't really find a lot of info on them other than them being a thin film solar company. One thing I will say is that there are 18B outstanding shares, they currently have a market cap of $550M, and that the stock is up 27,000% over the last 52 weeks. It could be something you make money on but I couldn't tell you why the stock should go up at this point. There are a lot of companies like this in the last year in the green energy and legal cannabis sectors... hard to tell them apart honestly.
re: thin film solar panels ASi types vs polycrystalline

I had ASi (Amorphous Silicon) PV panels, mfg by BP (beyond petroleum?) installed in 1999 that worked for 20 years
basically more or less, spray onto glass back to mfg. crystals amorphous non regular
old technology from 1990’s

comparison

first PV array Amorphous Silicon ~300 sq ft, ~28sq meters . 1,120 watts (thin film) maybe 3.6% efficient
~1,100 kwh/yr 40 deg latitude over 20 yrs by actual measures thru dedicated meter

2nd PV array polycrystalline Si ~644 sq ft ~59.9 sq meters. 11,655 watts array 17,400kwh/yr. 26.6 deg lat

So 2x size, 5x output (plus even more moving south)
(actually over 16x output overall)
(may i respectfully suggest a slightly lower price sell target
put another way

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Cosmacelf
Perhaps the Chelation band should audit the wiki entry for their hero: Boyd Haley - Wikipedia

The narrative kind of differs from that offered here: it seems he does not respond to FDA letters and his science claims are reputed by the US Public Health Service and the American Dental Association. And a judge said he lacked expertise sufficient to supply expert testimony in such matters. Doesn't come across as impeccable or distinguished.

His university bio does not say much that I can see pertaining to chelation... wonder why? Boyd Haley | Chemistry
Perhaps that part of his life is not so distinguished?

Forbes article: Another Hero Of The Anti-Vaccine Movement Bites The Dust

Wow, this guy sure has a strong opinion: Professor Boyd Haley

Seems to be a copy of FDA letter here: Pumping autistic children full of an industrial chelator (revisited) | ScienceBlogs

Interesting website name here: Boyd Haley Ordered to Stop Illegal Marketing of OSR#1 | Quackwatch

I hereby suggest that the mods henceforth strike down further promotion of this product, company, and potentially those that undertake such actions directly or indirectly!

Ad hominem attacks full of disinformation (a clever mixture of truth and lies). Dr Haley, like Elon, has been smeared because his work threatens powerful industries. The American Dental Association has told their members and the public for 100 years that the mercury in "silver fillings" (50% mercury) stays "locked" in the mixture and causes no harm. Dr Haley proved that claim is false. So did many other researchers, but Haley was very vocal and credible because his credentials. So he had to be smeared.

Because of the liability that the dental industry would face if everyone knew the truth, the industry is quietly shifting to glass composite fillings, now that durable ones have been developed. Apparently, the industry hopes that all the people harmed by dental mercury will eventually die in ignorance before they can sue.

The vaccine industry knows their products harm some sensitive people, which is why they lobbied congress to create a special "vaccine court" (National Vaccine Injury Compensation Program) with no jury. You can't sue vaccine makers in state or federal civil courts that might order huge amounts of compensation to you. Despite this protection from liability, the industry was forced (by Dr Haley and others) to remove mercury from some vaccines, but not all. Thimerosal (mercury) is still in adult vaccines because it is a cheap and effective preservative, and because the smear campaign against "anti-vaxxers" is working pretty well.

As far as bad news article are concerned, gawd, haven't you learned anything from reading all the negative Tesla press over the years?

Yes, powerful industries have a well-documented history of protecting their interests by any means feasible. The smear campaign against Tesla is one example, but far from the only one.

Reactions: CLK350
What other stock to consider?

In a way it is tech. They have been in existence for a long time as a vaccine company. Over the years they have never produced a marketable vaccine. They have regular significant stock booms during infectious outbreaks such as bird flu, Mars/SARS, Ebola, and now Covid. They had a nice run during a RSV vaccine trial. Leadership does not hold many shares, There is a lawsuit suggesting leadership granted themselves inappropriate options/grants weeks before releasing material information. They then sold most of those shares last year. Recent CFO left after two months. Lots of folks hoping for improved vaccine.

I call their bluff! Novavax NVAX

Do your own diligence. I own long expiry puts.

NVAX might be next?

• Informative
Reactions: JRP3
ABML about to hit $1 again... amazing. I bought back in when it dropped to $1.65 thinking that was the bottom. I wonder how low it can go?

And you were saying? Up about 70% since you posted this a few days ago. I bought a bunch more shares at 0.99 which helped bring my average down a bit. Overall I am still down a bit but this weeks rally helps. Plan is to hold long-term.

• Love
Reactions: JRP3 and bkp_duke
For exhibit A on how large companies can continue selling products with obvious health problems, I give you the tobacco industry.

When I posted this, it reminded me of one of my all time favorite movies. The Insider staring Russell Crowe in an atypical role as a nerdy scientist, and Al Pacino as a CBS 60 Minutes producer. The movie is chilling in no small part because it is 100% factual, which is not something that can be said for many Hollywood movies, even ones putatively based on a true story. I actually remember contemporaneously reading the Wall Street Journal article in the 1990s that plays a bit part in the movie.

The movie's writer actually wanted to make a movie about how large media organizations like CBS' 60 Minutes work. Over the course of several years, learning about stories and writing about what he learnt, the writer realized that one of the most explosive stories was 60 Minute's burying a report about the health effects of tobacco. 60 Minutes had on camera a tobacco company VP who was dishing on the dirty secrets of what tobacco companies do (among other things, adding a chemical that made nicotine even more addictive). But big tobacco was not to be thwarted and they leaned on CBS to bury the story. Needless to say, this whistle blower's life was wrecked. In the end, he did achieve some measure of success in that his court testimony was the basis for the giant state attorney lawsuit against the tobacco companies in which they extracted a huge amount of money for state health programs. Of course, it just means the states and the tobacco companies are now business partners.

Anyways, well worth a watch if you are in the mood for a serious drama. You'll notice another small plot line of the producer tracking down an unrelated story which has now largely been forgotten. It's the unabomber story that the producer sniffed out.

Reactions: CLK350 and PeterJA
Opinions are fine, but due diligence is better. I shall continue my research into Emeramed. It will take me a while though, got lots of projects going on simultaneously right now.

While Mercola has his faults, at least he is genuinely trying to help people. He may go down wrong paths from time to time, but then that’s why everyone has to decide things for themselves. Lord knows the official medical establishment is far from perfect themselves.

A small example. I take a joint supplement that I absolutely know helps my knee pain (if I go off it for a few days, pain returns). My doctor would never have recommended it since it isn’t prescription and hasn’t had FDA efficacy tested clinical trials, etc. But people like Mercola do know about these things and tell people about them.

As far as investing in private companies go, it surely isn't for everyone, and of course it is risky! I actually find it fun. I like learning new things, I actually like researching things, and I like following the evolution of a startup. I had my own startup so I have a base to compare things to.

Thanks. I know you have a lot on your plate, there's a lot of DD we are expecting from you.

Given the nosedive in SPACs, I'll let that one go.

Thanks. I know you have a lot on your plate, there's a lot of DD we are expecting from you.

Given the nosedive in SPACs, I'll let that one go.

Didn't I already do the SPAC DD? My conclusion was that even rockstar SPAC managers merge with turkeys. Only buy spacs on the open market if you like the company long term at the valuation. However I did find that if you like short term trading, buying a SPAC before merger announcement on a rumor of a hot category like EVs or space works. Just sell once the rumor has been turned into an announcement.

Didn't I already do the SPAC DD? My conclusion was that even rockstar SPAC managers merge with turkeys. Only buy spacs on the open market if you like the company long term at the valuation. However I did find that if you like short term trading, buying a SPAC before merger announcement on a rumor of a hot category like EVs or space works. Just sell once the rumor has been turned into an announcement.

Heh, you're right.

You're too proficient I can't even make a joke!

• Funny
Reactions: Cosmacelf
Perhaps the Chelation band should audit the wiki entry for their hero: Boyd Haley - Wikipedia

The narrative kind of differs from that offered here: it seems he does not respond to FDA letters and his science claims are reputed by the US Public Health Service and the American Dental Association. And a judge said he lacked expertise sufficient to supply expert testimony in such matters. Doesn't come across as impeccable or distinguished.

His university bio does not say much that I can see pertaining to chelation... wonder why? Boyd Haley | Chemistry
Perhaps that part of his life is not so distinguished?

Forbes article: Another Hero Of The Anti-Vaccine Movement Bites The Dust

Wow, this guy sure has a strong opinion: Professor Boyd Haley

Seems to be a copy of FDA letter here: Pumping autistic children full of an industrial chelator (revisited) | ScienceBlogs

Interesting website name here: Boyd Haley Ordered to Stop Illegal Marketing of OSR#1 | Quackwatch

I hereby suggest that the mods henceforth strike down further promotion of this product, company, and potentially those that undertake such actions directly or indirectly!

FWIW I wouldn't trust anything from Stephen Barrett MD 's See: QuackWatch--Stephen Barrett Is a BIG Quack and "Not an Expert," Declares Judge!

Last edited:
Some people on these forums have been followers of, or like, Chamath (He of the Virgin Galactic and Clover Health SPACs). I’ve never been a fan myself. Here’s a recent Wall Street Millennial video walking through his recent apparent fall from grace. It’s kind of a hit piece really, but I’m just throwing it out here in case it presages a real reputation hit against him. Since I do not really follow him, I don’t know how representive these sentiments are.

My friend is a solar installer who is obsessed with following new PV companies. He mumbled something about 93% of the shares owned by some rich guy in Germany, mumbled something about ASTI contracted to be used on somebody's satellites. Not worth my time to do my own research. My whole investment as of this morning is a mere $2,000 with 40+% profit in three days. With such a small investment of now 80,000 shares, I put a $0.98 sell limit for a return of $79,000. If I lose the whole $2k, it's chump change in the big picture. If I win the $79K, I'll buy that new toaster oven that @StealthP3D says is available again.

From what I read, the company had a contract with NASA to provide the solar panels for a couple of upcoming missions. If the company actually does have some kind of tech nobody else does (with a patent), they will probably get bought out by a bigger fish in the industry.

It might go nowhere. Who knows.

• Informative
Reactions: CLK350
Thanks, that was interesting:
"Boyd Eugene Haley Born September 22, 1940 (age 80)"

Early investors are truly in race against time,
although given that the research dates back to 1990s, word "early" may not be appropriate.

As I said two pages back, Dr Haley plans to step down as CEO soon, after they complete the requirements for FDA approval, and hire an experienced pharmaceutical executive able to take the company from tiny science-focused startup to global marketing and growth. Haley knows they need an expert in business, which he is not.

And yes, it has been a long road. This is not unusual in drug development (I have read), and things ain't easy when you are up against trillion-dollar industries and disinformation.

Last edited:
Some people on these forums have been followers of, or like, Chamath (He of the Virgin Galactic and Clover Health SPACs). I’ve never been a fan myself. Here’s a recent Wall Street Millennial video walking through his recent apparent fall from grace. It’s kind of a hit piece really, but I’m just throwing it out here in case it presages a real reputation hit against him. Since I do not really follow him, I don’t know how representive these sentiments are.

I watched Chamath's early interviews on CNBC, he was with Cathie Woods one of the few positive and refreshing voices on Tesla, and very good at countering the CNBC interviewer. So good in fact that they edited parts of it out. Unfortunately he seems to have veered off track starting with CLOV . For those who may not have followed closely, the critical piece was from Hindenburg research Clover Health: How the “King of SPACs” Lured Retail Investors Into a Broken Business Facing an Active, Undisclosed DOJ Investigation whose claim to fame was to have nailed the coffin on Nikola. That one was already soft-debunked by many but never as authoritatively as Hindenburg.

Speaking of SPAC's :

SPACs are starting to get a bad rap (didn't make a note of the pertinent analyses, but essentially the early founders get a huge piece like 50% for free).

The next SPAC getting Hindenburg'ed might be Lucid Motors, see Warren Redlich's YouTube - BREAKING!! Lucid Motors & CCIV Sued
" Lucid Motors and CCIV were just sued in a federal class action securities lawsuit.
Lucid and CCIV, a Michael Klein SPAC, are planning to merge this Spring. Warren breaks down the details of the lawsuit in this video, which fits with Warren's previous videos saying Lucid looks like a fraud"

I watched Rawlinson's Lucid advert video and was not impressed at all - his English accent might have endeared him to the Saudis and others, but to me he seemed slick, deceptive and just mouthing words. BTW Elon dismissed his contributions as minor in a tweet, also mentioning he bailed out when the going got tough - "not cool": Elon's tweet: " Rawlinson didn’t design Model S. Prototype was done before he joined & he left us in the lurch just as things got tough, which was not cool. He did make some contributions to body/chassis engineering, but not to powertrain, battery, electronics or software".

However the FF1 (Faraday Future) seems very real - Munro had a look at an early model/ prototype and the basic parts, without endorsing it since they didn't break them down. Sound like they have a chance, addressing the ultra high end market, plus their factory is in an advanced stage of construction. Will go SPAC, but I wouldn't put money in them. Especially now when Tesla is ready to explode with Berlin/ Texas, the 4860 intro, CT, Semi, M2, FSD, DWS Dojo as a service, the VPP power/ utilities/ solar ramping up, Lithium mining, the Boring Co., and who knows what else the bright engineers at Tesla may come up with.

Last edited: