Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've got enphase micro inverters on my newly installed 8kw solar system. I had not thought to check out the company, good tip. Great system and from my limited knowledge it really helps the efficiency of solar systems. Not sure of their competition?

From my knowledge of the industry, at present Enphase owns the microinverter market. They are well-regarded by system installers, although not here in Alaska as they do have a low-temperature issue they had not resolved as of this time last year. I like the concept a lot, but cannot make use of them because I have no grid into which I can tie - their product is not something that is appropriate for full-blown off-grid applications.

As a cautionary - I have to wonder how high the barriers to entry are for this concept. I'm no electronics expert, so I am not foolish enough to express an opinion one way or another.

From my knowledge of the industry, at present Enphase owns the microinverter market. They are well-regarded by system installers, although not here in Alaska as they do have a low-temperature issue they had not resolved as of this time last year. I like the concept a lot, but cannot make use of them because I have no grid into which I can tie - their product is not something that is appropriate for full-blown off-grid applications.

As a cautionary - I have to wonder how high the barriers to entry are for this concept. I'm no electronics expert, so I am not foolish enough to express an opinion one way or another.

What does everyone think of the Solar Industry? I think we are finally at an inflection point, like Tesla. But am more curious about the 10 baggers from here on... Or what about Netflix? Who likes Reed Hastings?

Or what about Netflix? Who likes Reed Hastings?

I personally don't like Netflix as a long-term company to hold. They're playing in Apple's (and others) future space and I don't think they can compete. Originally, Netflix was innovative in video streaming but that's technology's been done and is taken for granted now. Even the rights to shows/movies can be replicated and maybe outdone by Apple and others in the future. I just don't see their competitive advantage long-term. Another example is Pandora... which isn't that special in my opinion and will be slowly weakened over time by iTunes Radio.

Reactions: immunogold
LPP is not yet publicly traded. Current B share price is $100. Asking share price is based on progress toward fusion breakeven milestone. Stock price will increase as intermediate output milestones are reached over the coming year or two. A peer reviewed Plasma Physics journal article reported LPP plasma temp of 1.8 billion degree C. This is temp needed for H Boron fusion and higher than other alternative fusion approaches. I will post a link in coming week or two to a Google hosted Fusion conference in June where LPP and others presented their work.

I find LPP intriguing, partly because the company's website, and related videos on YouTube, have a distinct "garage engineering" vibe to them. LPP even asks for donations of scientific and engineering equipment for their projects. Reminds me of Jobs and Woz way back when.

The whole venture sounds a bit crazy, kind of like the Tesla Roadster was (a car powered by laptop cells???), and I'd definitely like to buy some shares. However the company's site says that SEC regs allow only "Accredited Investors" to make an investment. I looked at the regs and I'm too poor to qualify! ::mad::

Check out GWRE. Very well managed company, won multiple awards for best company to work for, growing company, huge addressable market.

The reason it is off of most people's radars is because it's software for the insurance industry, which is not as sexy as companies like LNKD or YELP. However, I believe it is undervalued compared to those companies, and has less competition because it is not competing with GOOG or FB, etc.

Yeah, you have to be a millionaire to invest in pre-IPO offers, although I heard that is set to change soon.

AustinEV, anticitizen and kcveins,

Minimum investment is currently 25K. The accredited investor language of having a million net worth or annual income over some limit is designed to filter out naive investors. It is not monitored or enforced by regulators. Google will be putting up video from the Fusion event they hosted last month later this week. LPP, Tri Alpha and two other companies presented. I will post the Google link in this tread when it becomes available. The results each company presented there are quite interesting. When David has a better designed sling he can bring down Goliath!

That is one of the 3d printer makers that I follow, along with the other major players in the space: DDD and SSYS. Difficult to tell whether they are overvalued due to hype or on the verge of a disruptive revolution.

Who knows? but if you read the first two pages of the just published ONVO 2013 annual report, there is a lot to get excited about. Nice opportunity perhaps. I am a very happy long.

Take a look at ONVO, Organovo.

Organovo makes functional human tissues using 3-D bioprinting technology. This pink sheet stock is being uplisted to the NYSE on July 15.

http://www.organovo.com/

Yep, I've been in as of April 2012. It was a wild shot, no real information - but I wanted to be part of this cool technology. The real value may someday be in printing functional tissue, but it's far more likely that the real money will come from the ability to shorten time to market via phase 1 clinical trials. Control group can be an exact match, meaning 1) better data, and, 2) decreased risk to participants (since humans wouldn't participate til later phases).

And it's just so cool.

What is next big thing? Mine bet it is an artificial intelligence.

What businesses are working on the frontier of the AI technology? It is companies that deal with recognition problems, like OCR, speech/image recognition etc.

With thanks to smartphones speech recognition market is already worth billions $ a year. And leaders in the field are Google and Microsoft. They are big, but there is one company that much smaller and ASR (automatic speech recognition) is their core business: Nuance Communications(NASDAQ:NUAN). They are already profitable and clients include Apple and Samsung. NUAN revenue is already well over a billion a year.

So what is AI? Please do not imagine talking heads like Siri or IBM WATSON that wan Jeopardy TV show. The fist real application of the technology is industrial automation. Think about robotic arms. They could do any work that human could do if you place human operator with remote control and camera vision system. But to program arm to deal with the task in the environment that have slight variations to it is virtually impossible without algorithms that are able to generalize and adjust arm movement according to the data from sensors that it never encountered before.

Think about thousands who work on Tesla Factory assembly. Most of them basically are doing repetitive tasks. But most of those tasks are virtually impossible to automate using current technology. Think about those hundreds of thousands employed by McDonald's who are cooking ~20 "dishes" menu making minimum wage... Etc.

So what the problem and how ASR could come into picture? Current approach to "teach" robotic arm to do the job is to guide it throw predefined trajectory and apply end of arm tool/tools when needed. Plus throw couple checks to make sure object arm working with is in place and correctly positioned. Current cutting edge tech: do the above but may be check for part variability(no two body in white have same dimension for example, there are few mm difference here and there) and run simple approximation algorithm that calculate some trajectory adjustments. But the more parameters robot programmer trying to cope with - the number of possible outcomes literally explodes. With two binary inputs you have to deal with 4 situations. With 30 binary inputs - with over a billion... And when parameters start to affect each other it is simply impossible to deal with them using conventional programming technics.
When computers deal with speech or scanned characters - they are given data that they never seen before. And each time they try to figure out what word been said or what character been printed. Until very recently most successful approaches were based on combination of statistical methods(Gaussian mixture models etc) with hidden Markov models(HMM). With very poor performance that could not be tolerated in industrial environment. But in a last 12 months MSFT and GOOG reported that they started to use neural networks for crucial part of speech recognition. With statistical methods one have to provide thousands of examples of how each word said. Big Data. But some most advanced NN recently showed ability to strongly generalize from what they have learned already. So after you teach NN first 100 words, you could teach it next 100 words providing it with fewer examples. In the nutshell this should basically allow more human-like programming of robots: you show human worker what he should do on assembly line couple times and he is ready to work... It might even allow less stupid talking heads on your phone - but transition from ASR or recognition algorithms in general to strong AI or AGI is not a trivial one. I think it best explained in Ray Kurzweil book "How to create a mind".

But do not make mistake: not all NN are born equal. It is laughable when another media reports about another NN with whatever billions or trillions neurons in it. NN advances are not about numbers of neurons, they are about math behind those networks. And math is mindblowing. If you not afraid of math, you could try to read this for example. The company those guys created were bought by Google btw.

Bottom line. Companies that work on ASR actually working on the frontier of AI research. If they nail down good algorithm, NN or not, doesn't really matter, market for potential applications for technology is HUGE. Industrial automation and fast food automation is just a tip of an iceberg. They will have a hammer in their hand and everything would look like a nail to them. And NUAN very well positioned to benefit from such advances more, they are smaller and more agile. But the good thing about this bet, is that even if AI wont happened, NUAN still got a business that already bring them billion plus $$$ in revenue each year.

I'm long.

I was just watch Cramers Mad Money, He was interviewing the CEO of Cyprus Semi when they started talking about Tesla's touchscreen, turns out Cyprus provides the tech for "touch", the CFO of Cyprus is also on Tesla Board of Directors, CY chart is looking favorable & has a 3.8% dividend yield, any thoughts?

5 minute mark of this video is the Tesla discussion Cypress CEO: Working with Tesla - CNBC

If I had the opportunity I would love to invest in Nest (nest.com). They currently have a very disruptive wifi thermostat but could very easily go into everything home automation. It's going to become a huge company. But by the time it IPOs (ie, at 20-30b market cap) a lot of the value would have already been captured by early investors. Too bad a lot of the most disruptive early stage companies are private.

Reactions: immunogold
I own quite a few shares of LQMT (Liquidmetal technologies). They're dirt-cheap, and could either go under or be great, about +100% gain atm but that can change in a day :). I think the technology is quite awesome, and it would be nice if it grows to be a good alternative for machining or injection molding.

No one has mentioned Bitcoin yet, but I think it is a similar style investment that people here might be interested in because it is an extremely disruptive technology. It has the potential to completely redefine banking and currency as we know it. I invested a small amount prior to it increasing 10x and recently put a much larger investment down on it. It has stabilized around $100 and I could see it going to $1000 and higher. It will be volatile in the short term and potentially risky, but I think it is growing and past the point of failure.

There was a recent bubble where the price went from $13 to $250 in a few weeks. As I said it has stabilized at about $100. Since then millions of dollars in venture capital have been invested in new ideas and start up companies. Many of these ideas revolve around making bitcoins easy to use for businesses and consumers; I think once these ideas start making an impact in the market there will be an upward trend of the price.

The Winklovoss twins have recently initiated progress on a Bitcoin ETF. I don't know if it will pan out or not, but I do believe in a few years as the market cap for bitcoin increases there will be a mad rush by investors to include bitcoin in their portfolios as an investment. When this happens I think we will see another huge price increase that will stabilize at the top, similar to what happened when Tesla announced profitability after q1.

No one has mentioned Bitcoin yet, but I think it is a similar style investment that people here might be interested in because it is an extremely disruptive technology. It has the potential to completely redefine banking and currency as we know it. I invested a small amount prior to it increasing 10x and recently put a much larger investment down on it. It has stabilized around $100 and I could see it going to $1000 and higher. It will be volatile in the short term and potentially risky, but I think it is growing and past the point of failure.

There was a recent bubble where the price went from $13 to $250 in a few weeks. As I said it has stabilized at about $100. Since then millions of dollars in venture capital have been invested in new ideas and start up companies. Many of these ideas revolve around making bitcoins easy to use for businesses and consumers; I think once these ideas start making an impact in the market there will be an upward trend of the price.

The Winklovoss twins have recently initiated progress on a Bitcoin ETF. I don't know if it will pan out or not, but I do believe in a few years as the market cap for bitcoin increases there will be a mad rush by investors to include bitcoin in their portfolios as an investment. When this happens I think we will see another huge price increase that will stabilize at the top, similar to what happened when Tesla announced profitability after q1.

I agree about Bitcoin. I have some too and believe it is very disruptive. The long term upside potential is 10'000 fold+ and the chances of that are much better than 1 in 10,000, probably more like 1 in 10.

anyone throw out DDD as something that could be another disruptor? Already has a multi-billion market cap but could possibly go up a few hundred percent from here if the company is run well.

What's the bitcoin symbol?