Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any idea why it converted to two different tickers, PTRA and PTRAW? I see both in my account now. I guess we got some warrants along with stock, I don't remember that ever happening before for any stock I've owned.

No idea. My parents had a few ACTCU's and now is some non sense "transition shares something.." that can't be traded. It seems that they need to call E-Trade and have them split the unit into a stock and a warrant.

It took a couple of days for Schwab to get my stock showing. I had a number account that said Arclight for a few days and it became PTRA today. The basis isn't set though. I'm not sure if the basis is going to be set to when I bought Arclight or when the merger was complete. I suspect it will be when the merger was complete.

It took a couple of days for Schwab to get my stock showing. I had a number account that said Arclight for a few days and it became PTRA today. The basis isn't set though. I'm not sure if the basis is going to be set to when I bought Arclight or when the merger was complete. I suspect it will be when the merger was complete.
What ticker symbol did you buy Arclight under, ACTCU? Maybe Schwab has some delay in splitting the shares and warrants. TDAmeritrade had no delay but the basis is not yet displaying, I assume they'll get it straightened out eventually.

Schwab can be slow setting the basis. With the stocks out of my parents' trust we had several phone calls with them to get it set correctly. I bought under ACTC, no 'U'.

On a different note I was thinking about what rising interest rates would do to the markets. Short term investors would run for the hills. Right now there is paranoia about the Fed raising rates at their next meeting (though there is little chance of it right now, possibly later this year) and the market has been a bit down this week. I suspect a lot of people who are heavily leveraged are selling off investments and paying off their loans just in case.

Longer term, the market will be fine and can be even hotter than it has been the last decade. The 90s was a decade in which the market boomed and the Fed rates were 10X what they are now.
Federal Funds Rate - 62 Year Historical Chart

It was a time when the new technology of the internet caused a gold rush for every crazy online idea people could think of. There is still political resistance, but the actual resistance to clean energy tech and serious work on infrastructure is weaker now than it has been in a couple of decades. The opposition seems more interested in making mountains out of mole hills with other issues that resist the current administration's agenda like they did the last Democrat.

What gets through Congress will probably not be the very ambitious plan on the table at the moment, but it's likely there will be something. That could start a clean energy and infrastructure rebuilding and improving gold rush. It will be different from the dot com boom, but it will still be an area of huge economic growth and it will boost a lot of stocks, both some old names like Caterpillar and US Steel which will get big contracts with road building, and existing telecom companies that will get business expanding broadband access, but it will also open the doors for new tech companies that have some new twist on existing ideas or brand new ideas nobody thought of that will rise from nowhere to be strong companies playing in the new market.

Rural broadband will also open doors for companies to start operations in rural areas. In 10 years when we call tech support we may hear accents from deep in Appalachia or end up talking to someone in the middle of nowhere Montana, and it may make other jobs that are online and can be done by cheap labor more likely.

When darpanet was made available to the public as the internet, nobody anticipated what it would do to the world, but in less than a decade the entire world changed in ways nobody imagined and businesses that didn't exist in 1990 became the hottest stocks of the early millennium and are the biggest market capitalization companies in history now. Google and Amazon were that day's Tesla.

As the market transisions from the world of extremely cheap capital to a time of faster real tech growth and infrastructure improvements, the traders who got fat on cheap credit will either go broke or learn to adapt, but there will be no shortage of opportunities for people who have their eyes open. There will probably be a bit less capital in the markets for a while because people won't be trading on credit as much, but new capital based on real world innovation will be on the increase and we will get back to lots of capital sloshing around.

So maybe a short bear market ahead followed by a bull market again.

Proterra warrant details: https://d18rn0p25nwr6d.cloudfront.net/CIK-0001820630/f8a24fd8-8fb7-407e-98f7-bf3ae1b56c8d.pdf
Each New Proterra whole warrant entitles the registered holder to purchase one share of New Proterra common stock at a price of $11.50 per share,subject to adjustment as discussed below, at any time commencing on September 25, 2021, provided in each case that the Company has an effective registration statement under the Securities Act covering the New Proterra common stock issuable upon exercise of the warrants and a current prospectus relating to them is available (or the Company permits holders to exercise their warrants on a cashless basis under the circumstances specified in the Amended and Restated Warrant Agreement) and such shares are registered, qualified or exempt from registration under the securities, or blue sky, laws of the state of residence of the holder. Pursuant to the Amended and Restated Warrant Agreement, a warrant holder may exercise its warrants only for a whole number of shares of New Proterra common stock. This means only a whole warrant may be exercised at a given time by a warrant holder. The warrants will expire June 14, 2026, at 5:00 p.m., New York City time, or earlier upon redemption or liquidation
Then follows a whole lot of warrant gobbldygook if anyone wants to try and explain it in simple English :oops:

Proterra warrant details: https://d18rn0p25nwr6d.cloudfront.net/CIK-0001820630/f8a24fd8-8fb7-407e-98f7-bf3ae1b56c8d.pdf

Then follows a whole lot of warrant gobbldygook if anyone wants to try and explain it in simple English :oops:

Had some trouble posting. Tried installing the x64 version of my browser and it broke a bunch of things including the reply box here.

I recently went through something similar with another investment I inherited. As I understand the language above, you can't do anything with the warrants until September, but starting Sept 25 you can, at your option, convert the warrants into common shares of Proterra on a 1:1 basis for the fixed price of $11.50 a share. If the stock is worth more than that, it's a deal for you. If it's worth less than it's wise to sit on the warrants and hope the stock goes back up before the warrants expire.

In my case with the other stock, I had the right to buy 100 shares at $7.90 when the stock price was around $8.80, so I got an extra 100 shares at a $.90 discount.

In your case you can sell your warrants like a stock, but they are trading at half the cash in price so you could potentially lose money on that deal.

Yeah I get the basics but there are a lot more details in the filing, pages of it. Examples:
Beginning on the date the notice of redemption is given until the warrants are redeemed or exercised, holders may elect to exercise their warrants on a cashless basis. The numbers in the table below represent the number of shares of New Proterra common stock that a warrant holder will receive upon such cashless exercise in connection with a redemption by the Company pursuant to this redemption feature, based on the “fair market value” of theNew Proterra common stock on the corresponding redemption date (assuming holders elect to exercise their warrants and such warrants are not redeemed for $0.10 per warrant), determined based on volume weighted average price of the shares of New Proterra common stock as reported during the 10 trading days immediately following the date on which the notice of redemption is sent to the holders of warrants, and the number of months that the corresponding redemption date precedes the expiration date of the warrants, each as set forth in the table below
This redemption feature differs from the typical warrant redemption features used in some other blank check offerings, which only provide for a redemption of warrants for cash (other than the private placement warrants) when the trading price for the shares of New Proterra common stock exceeds $18.00 per share for a specified period of time.This redemption feature is structured to allow for all of the outstanding warrants to be redeemed when the shares of New Proterra common stock are trading at or above $10.00 per public share, which may be at a time when the trading price of the shares of New Proterra common stock is below the exercise price of the warrants. The Company has established this redemption feature to provide the Company with the flexibility to redeem the warrants without the warrants having to reach the $18.00 per share threshold set forth above. Holders choosing to exercise their warrants in connection with a redemption pursuant to this feature will, in effect, receive a number of shares of New Proterra common stock for their warrants based on an option pricing model with a fixed volatility input

I've been looking into Magnis Energy Technology, Magnis Energy Technologies Australian company involved in graphite and batteries, specifically they are partnered with C4V and own about 50% of IM3NY, a NY based battery factory where C4V is making cells and 33% of a similar project in Australia. C4V has some interesting battery tech if their claims are to be believed. I'm still digging into the chemistry which they call BMLMP, bio-mineralized lithium mixed metal phosphate. Supposedly safer, lower environmental cost to manufacture, no cobalt, no nickle in the current version though it appears that later versions will use it. Eventually they plan to have a solid state version. C4V has ties to Stanley Whittingham at Binghamton U who is on the Magnis board. I believe I saw some reference to someone who worked at the Nevada GF as well though I can't find it at the moment.
They've sold cells to MARTAC HOME - MARTAC

Long shot penny stock but Magnis isn't totally dependent upon C4V since they also have a graphite mine. I've taken a small position and will keep watching them.

For anyone following GreenPower Matt Bohlsen wrote an article on them

Stock has been pushed down this year but may have bottomed and be in recovery.

• Informative
Reactions: pz1975
For anyone following GreenPower Matt Bohlsen wrote an article on them

Stock has been pushed down this year but may have bottomed and be in recovery.

GreenPower was one of the handful of emerging tech stocks I bought a couple of months ago. It's in modest profit range at this point.

It's looking like EV transit vehicles are going to be a big area for expansion in the next few years. In places like airports it makes a lot of sense to run the various shuttles on electricity. The buses run short routes and even short range buses can be useful. When the charge gets low they can drop the bus off at the depot, charge it, and grab a fully charged one to replace it.

Many city buses will have to be longer range because they run longer routes, but for the buses put into service at rush hours, EVs would work, they just need to charge between rush hours.

Fleet buyers are always looking at the cost of ownership. Fleet vehicles that require less maintenance and can be run on an energy source that has a very predictable price as well as cheaper per mile than fossil fuels, fleet managers love that. They might balk at something that would become a public outcry issue like slave labor, but otherwise it's all about cost.

Commercial EVs only have range as a limiting factor in their adoption. Some commercial purposes will be resistant to EVs for some time because long range and fast fueling are a requirement, but a lot of commercial niches are going to go EV as fast as the vehicles can be built. Europe has regulatory pressure too as many cities will ban ICE in their city centers in the coming years. That requires all transit and commercial vehicles operating in the cities to convert.

Investors liked this. Proterra jumped $1.01 today. It went down a little after the merger, though I was still in the black on this one too.

I think EV companies actually producing commercial EVs now are safer than start up consumer oriented EV companies and ones that still have vaporware. Even if management proves to be less than completely competent, the fact the company has a decent product in production and orders means that if they falter, another company will likely buy them rather than let them fold. To a company making more traditional commercial vehicles buying a faltering company with the production and orders in place is a good deal for them. It gives them a leg up in the EV game and gives customers more confidence in the product because it's backed by an established company.

Another area I made a few investments was mining. EVs are going to require mining expand for some resources, but if the infrastructure bill gets through Congress it will put further upward pressure on expanding resources.

It turns out my sister had bought some mining stocks too (there were around 65 stocks, it took a while to sort through them). She's a Geologist and probably saw some potential plus they were stocks that paid dividends (her goal were to preserve capital with good dividend payers). I'm sitting on those.

Another company that this forum would normally not consider is Schlumberger (SLB). They are the top oil service company. Their primary business is well logging, they send instruments down newly drilled oil wells to collect data on the formations drilled through. But their tech is applicable to other areas too. Over the last year their stock took a big hit as their oil business dried up. They have started partnering with a number of mining concerns looking for the resources needed to the new economy. Over time I expect they will make the transition from a fossil fuel support company to a support company for other mining concerns.

I've been familiar with the company since I was in high school. Geologists love the quality of their data and most of their equipment is developed in house and is state of the art. I think they will likely be one of the most successful oil related companies as oil declines.

Their stock took a huge hit last year. It was $69 before the pandemic and bottomed out at $11. It's in the $30s now and pays a modest dividend. It's the only oil related stock I'm not planning on selling when that segment recovers.

Solid Power merging with SPAC DCRC. It seems to be flying under the radar not getting some of the hype we've seen with other SPAC mergers and it's trading around $10.50. Solid Power has been working on a solid electrolyte solution for about 10 years and what they have looks promising. BMW and Ford have invested. I took a small position.

STWO which is the SPAC merging with ESS who makes super cheap batteries for stationary storage is down a bit lately. It's at $9.90 right now, but it recently dipped to around $9.80. It's a long term buy, but whoever becomes the biggest fish in the stationary storage market with cheap batteries is going to be worth a fair penny.

Reactions: Buckminster
Not clear how to invest there, but mentioning it here FYI. There maybe a way to get in at the pre IPO stage, see Partner – Boxabl.
Background: new housing construction is way too inefficient. Elon Musk now lives (test lives?) in a Boxabl Casita Tiny house rented from SpaceX. Considering the huge amount of new housing needed in Boca Chica/ Austin - and this seems to align with Tesla's mission too, as well as the longer term Mars SpaceX mission. Talent (great engineers) and batteries (for the integrated HVAC /solar systems) are probably not an issue. Batteries as CATL non high end car batteries seem to be ramping up nicely.