Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To me battery swapping will have the same problems in scooters as autos, you have to keep extra copies of the most expensive components available at multiple locations and build physical structures to house them. That has to raise costs.
Ya except scooter batteries can be swapped by hand. So no need for equipments. If you watched a battery swapping station in action in asia. It's like a gas station. Except swapping is much faster than gasing up.

Reactions: FlatSix911
That battery rack is equipment, and additional cost. All those extra batteries, are added costs as well. For the system to work there will always need to be more batteries available than the peak demand which means most of the time there will be many unneeded batteries sitting around.

That battery rack is equipment, and additional cost. All those extra batteries, are added costs as well. For the system to work there will always need to be more batteries available than the peak demand which means most of the time there will be many unneeded batteries sitting around.
It's not so clear cut for scooter batteries. The alternative is wiring up millions of power plugs and having charging time inconvenience. Presumably not many scooter owners can charge at home. battery swap stations are so small for scooters that they can be located very conveniently.

So either way there will be an infrastructure expense. It would jut depend on what is more convenient - swapping or charging at home.

Additionally, battery swapping would be very useful for longer scooter trips.

I don't know what will win, but battery swapping makes more sense for scooters than cars.

I think a removable battery would solve most of that without swapping. If an outside plug isn't available pull your pack bring it inside and plug it in. Also a safety feature since no one can steal it without a battery. How far are people really going to ride on a scooter anyway and what's the average scooter range?

The article posted up thread about the battery swap company appears to be much more about Asia than the US. The company is based in Taiwan and they have recently expanded to mainland China and India. From the pictures and video it appears when they talk about scooters they are talking about mopeds, not the skateboards with a handle most American think about when they hear "scooter".

In many Asian countries moped or small motorcycle type vehicles are a major form of transport. If electric versions standardized on one battery I could see the battery swap technology becoming very popular. It eliminates the need to build large banks of moped chargers at apartment buildings, businesses, and schools. People can park their electric mopeds the same way they have been parking the ICE mopeds for years.

In the US 2 wheeled transportation is more often a hobby thing than a daily necessity. There are people who bicycle to work or school, but they are a fairly small minority compared to some other countries where seas of small motorized two wheel vehicles are common in every city. In the US a large percentage of the population live in suburbs and you need some kind of longer range transportation to get to work, ie car, bus, or train. Where urban apartment blocks exist, they are either run down slums where something like a moped would likely get stolen, or they are swank high end luxury condos with underground garages full of $100K cars. When you get out into rural areas cars and pickups are the only feasible way to get around, though in very rural areas horses are still used some.

• Informative
I think a removable battery would solve most of that without swapping. If an outside plug isn't available pull your pack bring it inside and plug it in. Also a safety feature since no one can steal it without a battery. How far are people really going to ride on a scooter anyway and what's the average scooter range?
ppl go really far on scooters in asia. ppl do cross country ride home in china for new years on scooters.

it's a different culture with much higher density of ppl. if everyone is in cars, the resulting congestion would mean that you'll never get to work within 24 hrs.

also gogoro battery swap stations is going to act also as battery for utilities for load balancing. at least that's what I heard.

it's a less capital intensive way to test out the business opportunity of a battery swapping station. Once it's proven, car battery swapping can apply the same model.

Once it's proven, car battery swapping can apply the same model.
Better Place already tried that in Israel. A small country using one vehicle and one battery format. It failed. No way larger countries with multiple vehicles and battery formats could ever make it work. Plus as Tesla has shown an integrated structural pack is the most efficient packaging and the best way to optimize the most expensive component. Swapping makes zero sense for automobiles, not sure it makes any more sense for other vehicles. Maybe for forklifts in a warehouse.

Reactions: CorneliusXX
Any battery that is heavier than one person can carry is impractical for battery swap. Tesla tried the battery swap station at Harris Ranch and abandoned the idea in favor of superchargers. Fast chargers are slower than battery swap, but it's a much more practical solution for cars.

With the scooter/moped batteries, one kiosk can hold 50 batteries and everything is self service. The video with people using the kiosk reminded me of a cross between the automated ticket stations on the Portland light rail and a propane bottle swap location.

Costs go up when you have to have human employees in the loop servicing the public. Small batteries can be swapped in an automated system, but large batteries require a manned station with several people and some heavy lift equipment.

Reactions: CorneliusXX
I think you are missing that I am talking about the stock ticker TMC (The Metals Company) not Tesla.

View attachment 709799

Sort of OT (not an expert at all here - but it's Fri evening :D )

I saw TMC's wild ride ... since I acccidentally bumped into this by mistake, looked it up .. so has anybody figured out what these wild gyrations are due to, especially today - again - and not in AH? Macros? Pump and dump pink sheet like manips ? trying to shoo away investors interest re nickel/ cobalt produced with lower environmental impact sound good - and critical high value parts of batteries .. ? Or just the nature of small caps like FUV in the EV area

Side note: Schlumberger was the Tesla of the oil &gas heydays - they hired the best math and physics major anywhere, seismic modeling (for oil & gas exploration) was big bucks and so worth the expense - they also designed their own oil field processing vans (with dual PDP-11 IIRC for redundancy :D )
A bit sad to see them mired in the dying fossil space, BUT considering their brainy (not sure nowadays what's what, but maybe they kept their smarts) techs, it is quite possible that sea bed mining is going to be a big thing.

Sort of OT (not an expert at all here - but it's Fri evening :D )

I saw TMC's wild ride ... since I acccidentally bumped into this by mistake, looked it up .. so has anybody figured out what these wild gyrations are due to, especially today - again - and not in AH? Macros? Pump and dump pink sheet like manips ? trying to shoo away investors interest re nickel/ cobalt produced with lower environmental impact sound good - and critical high value parts of batteries .. ? Or just the nature of small caps like FUV in the EV area

Side note: Schlumberger was the Tesla of the oil &gas heydays - they hired the best math and physics major anywhere, seismic modeling (for oil & gas exploration) was big bucks and so worth the expense - they also designed their own oil field processing vans (with dual PDP-11 IIRC for redundancy :D )
A bit sad to see them mired in the dying fossil space, BUT considering their brainy (not sure nowadays what's what, but maybe they kept their smarts) techs, it is quite possible that sea bed mining is going to be a big thing.

Best I can tell from checking social media, the Wall Street Bets crowd have noticed TMC and took and interest. When that happens, the shorts pile in. The short interest was around 30% a couple of days ago. I think it was a little lower on Friday, but it was still high. I have a feeling TMC might jump around like AMC or Game Stop for a while until the meme stock people lose interest.

If it sky rockets I'll sell and buy it back when the shorts finish with it.

Meme stocks run by different rules than other stocks. From a stock analysis point of view a stock can be a dog's breakfast, but if the meme stock people get marching in the same direction on the stock, it will go up and if they lose interest, or the shorts get their way, it will crash. To these people stocks are more like a sporting event than anything done with careful analysis.

I think many of them cut their teeth playing with Tesla stock. With a highly volatile stock, if you have good timing you can make a lot of money. If you're timing is bad, you can also lose a lot of money.

I do think TMC has real long term potential, but short term you have to accept the volatility.