Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I quickly looked at their financials. They lose about $15M per year, have $20M in the bank and last reported quarter had $0 in revenue ($200K for prior 9 months). They operate in a space that looks askance at companies that aren't financially stable. So, why is this a good company?

It's a long term play at best. They have some interesting technology that promises to speed up networking and it looks like it will likely be inexpensive when it's produced in quantity.

I own some stock, but it's a tiny slice of my holdings. It's a company that may become something, or it may fold.

Reactions: Buckminster
Romeo Power dropped hard after results and likely further share dilution.

Anybody here has some suggestions regarding Chinese stocks/ ADR's re Ukraine developments?

TL;DR - China may be able to pick up Russian assets cheap soon. From the Russia/ Ukraine conflict thread in context

I am guessing China will pick up Russian assets (gold, oil&gas, minerals) at fire sales prices - helping them out of their predicament. Essentially doing to Russian what they've been doing in Africa with great success. China has been beefing up their physical gold reserves for more than a decade as the US was artificially holding the price of gold down with paper gold futures, sort of a parallel play now with Wall St et al holding down TSLA with artificial measures.

If I'm right, then China's game will be to let Russia go down as much as possible without Putin triggering the nuclear option.

China also has developed its own precious metals market, and alternatives to SWIFT (because they may be as corrupt as the Russian, but way smarter, case in point letting Tesla build its factory there with 100% Tesla ownership, a first at the time for any foreign company.

I follow iShares China Large-Cap ETF ( symbol FXI). Currently trading at multi-year lows likely due to geopolitical events (theory that a Russia-like power grab with Taiwan or excess allegiance to Russia in regards to sanctions/supplying other support could result in further weakness in Chinese companies) and today's negative news about COVID outbreak and restrictions in tech region Shenzhen. I don't study the individual Chinese companies enough (and feel that they individually are more susceptible to the whims of their government overlords). At the moment, that chart looks a bit like a falling knife.

Reactions: CLK350
China getting bargain basement prices for goods they import - and a couple posts earlier than this one, influential person in Shanghai explaining it was in China 's interest to align with the West - AND the fact that it is also in China's interest to let Russia go down as much as possible, w/o trigering the nuclear option - meaning China's best interest is to help oust Putin and then help Russia rebuild with China's help - and *they* won't be caught flat footed like so many Russia US investors are/ will be/ were.
So my prior would be it's an 85% favorable bet.

Reactions: CarlS
In case there is anyone left thinking DWAC is something more than a cluster f

"Last month, Trump Media unveiled its Twitter clone, Truth Social, which was followed by a moment of excitement as the app raced to number one in downloads," Ginesin wrote. "The initial enthusiasm quickly ran its course; now the app's ranking has plummeted, with the media outlet seeing barely any usage. This bodes poorly for the success of Truth Social and anyone invested in Digital World Acquisition.”

In case there is anyone left thinking DWAC is something more than a cluster f

All these SPAC are clusters... but I made some easy cash in October when this was announced and the stock went from $10 to $80 in less than a week. I wouldn't own it now though, it'll probably crash like the rest of them at the merger (anyone remember the LCID/CCIV fiasco last february).

Long term, hard to say if it'll be worth investing in from a financial standpoint. I don't know much about Truth Social but I do know that Rumble has a lot of content, seems to be growing, and that people I consider to be credible journalists and resonable people have moved over there because of what they percieve as bias at twitter/youtube. If you are in progressive circles and spend a lot of time on Twitter it is easy to forget that the progressive left, despite their outsized presence in media, only makes up about ~5% of the U.S. population and that most people do not hold a lot of the views that they do.

Pew Political Typology

If the perception continues that the major platforms are politically biased and censor viewpoints held by large parts of the population then the demand for alternatives will be there. You hate to see Trump involved in that alternative, but that may be how it shakes out.

If the perception continues that the major platforms are politically biased and censor viewpoints held by large parts of the population then the demand for alternatives will be there. You hate to see Trump involved in that alternative, but that may be how it shakes out.
No it won't because it's already quite obvious any "alternative" will be just as biased and censored if he's involved. He's much too thin skinned to allow actual dissent.

Reactions: Frank Einstein
No it won't because it's already quite obvious any "alternative" will be just as biased and censored if he's involved. He's much too thin skinned to allow actual dissent.
The solution to one biased site may end up being another biased site. I think that is bad for democracy if people stay in silos that reinforce their beliefs and mock strawmen versions of opposing beliefs but it doesn't mean it won't shake out that way... it is already the way most of our legacy media has come to work so why not social media? Optimistically I'd hope that the alternative would be one dedicated to open inquiry and the free exchange of ideas but I don't see much evidence that we are headed that way.

All that is neither here nor there in terms of whether the stock will make money though. You don't have to buy it if you don't like the stock, but I'm hesitant to dismiss it long term as a money maker (even if I think it is a terrible buy right now)... this is a stock buying thread right?

Check out the 6 month chart of NVDA vs TSLA. Looks like their having a nice little competition.

Holy correlation, Batman!

newplot.png

I've got this chart because I've been looking for some good tech stocks that are relatively uncorrelated with Tesla for diversification purposes... But all the ones I'd consider investing in end up pretty highly correlated.

Curious to see, too cheap to want to find out (probably not that great revelations - like XOM LOL )

Last edited:
Curious to see, too cheap to want to find out (probably not that great revelations )

Here's my tech-stock chart, if you're curious. These are all symbols drawn from the S&P 500:

newplot (1).png

It's actually pretty tough to find tech stocks with historical positive returns that aren't highly correlated with TSLA. The group of three companies with positive returns between a correlation of -0.1 and 0.1 are Jack Henry & Associates, NortonLifeLock, and Akamai. Hewlett Packard is just to the right of those with a correlation of 0.17. I don't find any of those particularly interesting (which is probably why they're uncorrelated in the first place).

On the flip side, the most correlated tech stocks in the S&P 500 over the last year are AMD (0.91), KLAC (0.89), and NVDA (0.89).

Reactions: CarlS and CLK350
Holy correlation, Batman!

View attachment 785269

I've got this chart because I've been looking for some good tech stocks that are relatively uncorrelated with Tesla for diversification purposes... But all the ones I'd consider investing in end up pretty highly correlated.
Yes, the last six months in particular have seen big macro swings. The market mostly jumping out of growth stocks into safe haven stocks, and it is now dipping toes back into growth stocks. The daily Tesla stock investment thread here is mostly nuts as they generally ignore these big macro swings, and instead attribute price fluctuations to shorts and other short term events.

Which isn’t to say that individual growth stocks don’t have unique characteristics that will influence their stock price. They do (which is why I buy individual stocks and not a growth basket), but macros will massively affect different sectors at different times and in different ways.

Rats leaving the sinking garbage barge 😆

“If Josh has left… all bets are off,” one of those sources said of tech chief Adams, calling him the “brains” behind Truth Social’s technology.

• Funny
Reactions: CarlS and PeterJA