Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What's the bitcoin symbol?

Bitcoin is not traded on any stock market. The way you would invest in Bitcoin is by buying them and then storing them in a special type of wallet.

The easiest place to buy bitcoins is probably at coinbase.com. An easy online wallet to setup is at https://blockchain.info/wallet/, but if you are investing significant amounts of money it is better to have an offline wallet. bitaddress.org is a good place to generate a paper wallet or brain wallet for cold storage, but be absolutely certain you use a virus free computer. It is highly advisable to start slow and really understand what you are doing.

Check out more information on Bitcoin here: What is Bitcoin? - We Use Coins

Bitcoin is not traded on any stock market. The way you would invest in Bitcoin is by buying them and then storing them in a special type of wallet.

The easiest place to buy bitcoins is probably at coinbase.com. An easy online wallet to setup is at https://blockchain.info/wallet/, but if you are investing significant amounts of money it is better to have an offline wallet. bitaddress.org is a good place to generate a paper wallet or brain wallet for cold storage, but be absolutely certain you use a virus free computer. It is highly advisable to start slow and really understand what you are doing.

Yea I forgot I had read about this ...thanks for the summary.

I don't know how "new" or "hot" it is, but Sunpower (SPWR) has been performing well for me lately. I know Elon doesn't like them that much, but they have the most efficient commercially-available solar panels, and don't seem to be letting up on R&D. There are other panels that have a theoretically higher efficiency, but in terms of panels available to the general public, they're the best.

I don't know how "new" or "hot" it is, but Sunpower (SPWR) has been performing well for me lately. I know Elon doesn't like them that much, but they have the most efficient commercially-available solar panels, and don't seem to be letting up on R&D. There are other panels that have a theoretically higher efficiency, but in terms of panels available to the general public, they're the best.

Hit up the Solar City Investors Discussion for a really detailed analysis into SPWR by sleepyhead. Starts on page 36 or so. He convinced me it was a good investment and I put some money into leaps.

Can you please elaborate on the "Elon doesn't like SPWR that much." I have never heard this before and why wouldn't he like them? I thought he loves everyone who is trying to accelarate alternative energy.

As a side note, if Tesla really wanted for superchargers to continue working in a "zombie apocalypse" then they should have used SunPower panels, not to mention that they have limited panel space on the superchargers and could probably get 20% - 50% more power generation with SunPower panels. Understandably so he used SolarCity to provide panels because of his ties to the company. But the Chinese panels will not hold up as long in a post apocalyptic world without maintenance as higher quality panels would.

Every time when I read about the Bitcoin there are two things I can not understand (and that's why I do not own Bitcoins currently):
1) How it can become the currency of the future if it has such volatility? Even If it will only rise and never fall - who needs such a currency?
2) Is it any better than any of the alternatives? If it will be too pricey - somebody can just creat a new cryptocurrency and there are already several clones on the market currently.

Every time when I read about the Bitcoin there are two things I can not understand (and that's why I do not own Bitcoins currently):
1) How it can become the currency of the future if it has such volatility? Even If it will only rise and never fall - who needs such a currency?
2) Is it any better than any of the alternatives? If it will be too pricey - somebody can just creat a new cryptocurrency and there are already several clones on the market currently.

1) Read gold chart for the past 5years. And all commentary about it's running out and price can only go up. There is a shift in thinking ppl need to do. Cash is a position. Just like the TSLA stock you buy.

2)No, but first mover advantage. Trust is built based on peers using the same thing which brings about more trust. A new digi currency will need to be able to overtake the adoption rate and tech advancement in the past 5years within a year in order to take over bitcoin next year. Same for everything else. Read how apple killed off Creative in the mp3 market when creative had the first mover advantage.

I have been a been a big fan of Ambarella (AMBA) so far. They are responsible for the camera on a chip used in the GoPro cameras and several other ip based security cameras. Although they just went public within the last year, all of their numbers look very stable and this is not the first successful company started by the management team. They look poised to double in value over the next year without the huge volatility associated with some speculative stocks.

1) Read gold chart for the past 5years. And all commentary about it's running out and price can only go up. There is a shift in thinking ppl need to do. Cash is a position. Just like the TSLA stock you buy.

2)No, but first mover advantage. Trust is built based on peers using the same thing which brings about more trust. A new digi currency will need to be able to overtake the adoption rate and tech advancement in the past 5years within a year in order to take over bitcoin next year. Same for everything else. Read how apple killed off Creative in the mp3 market when creative had the first mover advantage.

Is there any risk of government or some other organization trying to kill off bitcoin since it represents risks such as tax evasion, money laundering, decreased control by government/banks?

Interesting, will have to look in more to this. But check the volatility! Here is a one year chart vs. USD:

e4ymu5yq.jpg

But I guess long term the investment thesis would be to buy and hold until Bitcoins becomes the currency we use for everything? To never "exit" back o USD or any other currency for that matter? Takes some time to fathom the concept but it's a good concept!

Is there any risk of government or some other organization trying to kill off bitcoin since it represents risks such as tax evasion, money laundering, decreased control by government/banks?

Yes, the US government might not know what it is, or what to do with it, but they do know they don't like it. They raided and shut down one of the exchanges, and have prosecuted people for using bitcoins in putatively illegal transactions. Just google "bitcoin illegal" for some scary stories.

Yes, the US government might not know what it is, or what to do with it, but they do know they don't like it. They raided and shut down one of the exchanges, and have prosecuted people for using bitcoins in putatively illegal transactions. Just google "bitcoin illegal" for some scary stories.

Think of BTC as a hedge against a futuristic doomsday scenario. Perhaps in the future when the US govt and USD default...people will rush to store their wealth in other instruments...BTC could fill a very large gap pretty quickly.
Best to buy some Bitcoin now and store them on a USB drive inside a ziplock bag and put that inside a Mylar bag then lock it in your safe for the long long term (Mylar so that the USB drive doesn't get damaged or erased in the event of a massive solar flare or EMP blast).

Can you please elaborate on the "Elon doesn't like SPWR that much." I have never heard this before and why wouldn't he like them? I thought he loves everyone who is trying to accelarate alternative energy.

I guess it's more the inverse. About a year ago, there were allegations a former Sunpower employee jumped ship to Solar City, and allegedly took some trade secrets with him.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/toddwoo...-sues-solarcity-ex-employees-over-data-theft/

Also, the two are competitors in the solar lease business. Perhaps I over-simplified. Apologies.

2) Is it any better than any of the alternatives? If it will be too pricey - somebody can just create a new cryptocurrency and there are already several clones on the market currently.

There are many parallels with Tesla and Bitcoin. Skeptics ask, "How can Tesla become the car of the future if there are no charging stations around?" Clearly (to the well informed TMC member) a massive infrastructure doesn't pop up over night. Early adopters take a minor hit, but because they believe in the product they help lay the foundation. With progress, MS and later models can become viable products for everyone with no shortcomings. At that point it will be too late to cash in on the brunt of Tesla's growth potential.

With Bitcoin, it is still very much in the growth stages but it continues to reach major milestones and gather traction. Early adopters must deal with the volatility but there are many die hard fans that believe in it's potential. Many early adopters have already been rewarded handsomely for their loyalty (I happen to know a Bitcoin millionaire very well... he introduced me to Bitcoin, I in turn introduced him to Tesla!) As the market cap continues to grow, as more businesses and consumers adopt the technology, and as the Bitcoin securities market matures with more complex hedging vehicles the price will greatly stabilize. But that stabilization price might be $10,000 or higher. BTC has a current market cap of around $1 Billion, if it captures even small percentages of the markets where it can be incredibly useful (internet purchases, wealth storage, international money transfers etc) that value could easily grow to 100 billion. Check out this interesting Bitcoin Value calculator and article by TechCrunch: http://techcrunch.com/2013/06/02/calculating-the-long-term-value-of-a-bitcoin/

"Who needs such a currency?" I'm sure everyone in Cyprus wishes they had heard of Bitcoin before the government decided to freeze bank accounts and seize peoples savings. Granted, I know it is speculated that a lot of that money was dirty Russian money, it still marks a scary precedent. Pretty much any citizen whose government practices currency manipulation would benefit from Bitcoin. And these countries are precisely where we are seeing high adoption rates of BTC. Argentina's adoption rate skyrocketed this past month and it is growing quickly in China as well. If you live in the US, don't think you are immune from government asset seizure, look at this ridiculous government seizure of $80 million in gold coins from a law abiding family http://www.economicpolicyjournal.com/2013/07/feds-seize-gold-coins-worth-80-million.html. I don't want to write a book, so I'll stop with that one reason to own Bitcoin, but there are countless other compelling reasons to deal in Bitcoin -- ultra low transaction fees, no chargebacks, instant international money transfers, micro transactions, decentralized, adaptability, and this list goes on.

It is a risk that a better crypto currency will come along, but as I have stated Bitcoin has gathered a lot of traction. Unless there is a fatal design flaw, I predict that Bitcoin will be the winner. But even if there is minor default in the client coding, the client software can be updated and the blockchain can fork (already happened actually). The anonymous creator of Bitcoin, going by the pseudonym Satoshi Nakamoto, is a visionary much like Elon in that he was able to look 5 steps into the future and create something that redefines an entire market.

Although not a tech name, something I hold in my portfolio and is getting SMOKED. Pulte Homes (PHM), homebuilder that probably needs no introduction.

I doubled my position at 16.85 this morning, up to 1/3 the size of my TSLA holding.

Their book value including a 2.5 Billion Tax asset that is currently off-book, is around $12/share. So trading at 1.3X book today. Totally different play than high growth tech stock, but we'll always need housing. Plus, I think the electrification of transport will boost Suburban home prices. Apartment prices are at all-time highs, but the suburban and exurb home prices are still suffering due to the high cost of gas.