Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you guys do DITM LEAPs with AMZN
Current opinion:
AMZN crossed the DITM LEAPS risk/reward/growth/macro line for me about a year ago- stock only only for me.
AAPL crosses that same line for me with this fall's mega cycle iPhones - going all stock there too.
DIS been here a while- all stock.
NVDA would be a possible, but they are currently over-valued relative to competitive risk (substantial since they do not manufacture, only design, and barrier to entry relatively low).

Last edited:
Small nitpick, friends. The ticker for Apple is AAPL, not APPL.

For me it's:

TSLA
NFLX
AMZN
FB
BABA
And I guess AAPL, but I kind of use that position as cash to cover any TSLA leverage and have been diminishing my stake.

TSLA is by far my biggest position. I wish I had more of an understanding of other industries to be able to invest in them (biotech for example) but my greatest strength as an investor is spotting trends in the consumer market, which has yielded 10x+ returns in AAPL and 4x returns in NFLX with my two biggest positions prior to investing in TSLA. Have had my misses as well, but thankfully on smaller, more speculative positions.

AAPL under Tim Cook has frustrated me. They have missed so many opportunities to make their ecosystem stronger (buying NFLX, Spotify, or Tesla?) and they just sit on their cash while the SP500 doubles over the last 5 years. I am obviously a growth investor though, so probably just time for me to move on. But I'll never sell the first shares I bought in 2007.

This occurred intra-day a bit ago, but I decided to hold off bragging until we had a close-of-day price to make it official.

Today we hit our ten-bagger with NVDA. As I've documented since inception in this thread, we purchased our entire position on 1 August, 2014, accumulating all at an aggregate of $16.99/sh. This was the largest single entry position I ever have made.

With today's $172.35 closing price, we're comfortably above a 1,000% increase. This rise has put NVDA as our 2nd-largest holding quite some time back.

Over the decades, we certainly have had 10-baggers before - Standard Oil NJ (XOM, eventually) as an example. And some of our TSLA positions. But in three years! Wow.

This occurred intra-day a bit ago, but I decided to hold off bragging until we had a close-of-day price to make it official.

Today we hit our ten-bagger with NVDA. As I've documented since inception in this thread, we purchased our entire position on 1 August, 2014, accumulating all at an aggregate of $16.99/sh. This was the largest single entry position I ever have made.

With today's $172.35 closing price, we're comfortably above a 1,000% increase. This rise has put NVDA as our 2nd-largest holding quite some time back.

Over the decades, we certainly have had 10-baggers before - Standard Oil NJ (XOM, eventually) as an example. And some of our TSLA positions. But in three years! Wow.

Congrats & Amazing!

There hasn't been discussion on it since 2015 but I'm looking seriously at Illumina (ILMN) and have been for a few years. I spoke with an engineer who worked with them (and now does m&a consulting for them), he believes they have enormous potential. Largely because they've sequenced 99.9% of all human DNA that has been sequenced and have more or less cornered that market, a market which he believes is destined to takeoff once having your genome sequenced and analyzed becomes standard practice in medicine.

Reactions: pGo
I have started researching Bitcoin more. There was a thread about it that a friend shared with me that died off over a year ago.

Just curious to get some feedback about it from some others that are invested in it or decided against it.

Obviously some have seen incredible returns buying/holding/selling them

Thanks.

I have started researching Bitcoin more. There was a thread about it that a friend shared with me that died off over a year ago.

Just curious to get some feedback about it from some others that are invested in it or decided against it.

Obviously some have seen incredible returns buying/holding/selling them

Thanks.

Not a day goes by without a client/friend/random person asking me about bitcoin.

That's a red flag, but I don't know much about it, so take it fwiw.

"Thoughts on SNAP?"

Yes. I never will put any of our money in a product purporting to represent a portion of a corporation - but with 100% of the risks and 0% of the benefits.
The first and last time I had a serious discussion on this was in the mid- or late-80s, when George Mitchell was trying to persuade me to buy into his current offering, which was the IPO of Mitchell Energy's Class B shares. I let him know what I thought of privileged equity (he would keep control of MEnergy with his Class As)...it wasn't nice...his response was whether I thought it better that the firm lose control to sharks like Pickens or Icahn - that's how highly he thought of himself.
Upshot of it was that we didn't invest; my father never forgave me as he was in line to join George's board...but that fell through...

...ever wonder why I've spent the past quarter century in the Alaskan wilderness?

And now SNAP, with their zero-voting shares....it's an abomination. The sooner they go to $0 the greater the likelihood their despicable actions won't be copied.

I'm sure I'll fail against this windmill - that's an advice.

AMZN closes WFM's deal & announces initial plans for Prime members, COST drops on the news, turns out 50% of Costco members also have Prime.

Amazon to complete $13.7B Whole Foods deal Monday, promising lower prices and Prime integration

Screen Shot 2017-08-24 at 11.14.26 AM.png