Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not really a tech stock but a nice complementary investment to TSLA:

SQM, Sociedad Quimica e Minera de Chile, Lithium miners.

Not really a true tech stock, but I agree that it is good to share your thoughts on 'support' stocks for tech, especially Lithium battery makers, like Tesla.
I was worried about the geopolitics of this company so I sold my holdings in it and now only have FMC and ALB as 'Lithium plays'.

• Helpful
Reactions: TMSE
"Thoughts on SNAP?"

Yes. I never will put any of our money in a product purporting to represent a portion of a corporation - but with 100% of the risks and 0% of the benefits.
The first and last time I had a serious discussion on this was in the mid- or late-80s, when George Mitchell was trying to persuade me to buy into his current offering, which was the IPO of Mitchell Energy's Class B shares. I let him know what I thought of privileged equity (he would keep control of MEnergy with his Class As)...it wasn't nice...his response was whether I thought it better that the firm lose control to sharks like Pickens or Icahn - that's how highly he thought of himself.
Upshot of it was that we didn't invest; my father never forgave me as he was in line to join George's board...but that fell through...

...ever wonder why I've spent the past quarter century in the Alaskan wilderness?

And now SNAP, with their zero-voting shares....it's an abomination. The sooner they go to $0 the greater the likelihood their despicable actions won't be copied.

I'm sure I'll fail against this windmill - that's an advice.

SNAP, oh SNAP. Leaving aside their abominable voting structure, impressive "cash burn," and rumors of a combative work environment, they are currently the innovator making all the cool new features that kids seem to like on social media. Which Instagram promptly copies. Instagram (fka Facebook, jk, sorta;)) has a market cap of ~$500B; SNAP has a market cap of $17B.

IMO, investing in SNAP is a pure gamble on whether its innovation can continue and eventually lead to it overtaking Insta or something close. Which given Zuckerberg's savvy, is going to be a tall order.

I am way too old to make any informed judgments on whether SNAP can continue to make inroads but do note that my 20-something son who works in social media posts and communicates prolifically on Snapchat (even to his old man) even though he tends to look to Instagram to see content that others post.

Side note that is interesting but may be meaningless: SNAP was one of the smallest market cap companies in a recent list Robinhood put together of the Top 10 stocks owned by millenials (only AMD was smaller). TSLA was number 5 on the list. SNAP was number 7. Here are the stocks millennials love more than people over 30 do, according to trading app Robinhood

The other names may look familiar:

1. AMD
2. AMZN
3. AAPL
4. FB
5. TSLA
6. NVDA
7. SNAP
8. SPY (S&P 500 Trust)
9. NFLX
10. Google

This is not investing, it is gambling. But sometimes I like to gamble with tiny amounts of cash (relatively speaking). Last year it was Bitcoin. This year it is SNAP. Please don't judge me.:)

Last edited:
I have started researching Bitcoin more. There was a thread about it that a friend shared with me that died off over a year ago.

Just curious to get some feedback about it from some others that are invested in it or decided against it.

Obviously some have seen incredible returns buying/holding/selling them

Thanks.

I bought some Bitcoin and Etherium on coinbase. Coinbase is the first site that doesn't give me the creeps. (MtGox anyone?). I am up 70% in 3 weeks... wish I had bought more. Yeah, its all a pyramid scheme but its probably a working one. It seems to function as a store of value for people who live in repressive regimes, and that is a big market.

I bought Litecoin, which just in the past days is growing like mad: 52% in the past week. I could lose everything in an heartbeat, but ut's gamble money.

For lithium plays, I chose Global Lithium ETF (not tech and not a stock), which is also growing steady and slowly.

Mod edit: I moved the resource-stock responses to this post to the "Resource Angle" thread..Just a little clean-up - thanks.

Link: The Resource Angle

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought some Bitcoin and Etherium on coinbase. Coinbase is the first site that doesn't give me the creeps. (MtGox anyone?). I am up 70% in 3 weeks... wish I had bought more. Yeah, its all a pyramid scheme but its probably a working one. It seems to function as a store of value for people who live in repressive regimes, and that is a big market.
Pretty much the same but added Litecoin today so I have all 3 now, so far only at "play money" stage as I learn & become more comfortable with these Cryptos\Blockchains.

Haven't had much luck convincing @AlMc into opening a Coinbase account, he is rightfully skeptical & cautious so maybe peer pressure might force him to throw in a couple bucks soon;).

Pretty much the same but added Litecoin today so I have all 3 now, so far only at "play money" stage as I learn & become more comfortable with these Cryptos\Blockchains.

Haven't had much luck convincing @AlMc into opening a Coinbase account, he is rightfully skeptical & cautious so maybe peer pressure might force him to throw in a couple bucks soon;).

Yes, and he keeps reminding me he is up 70% in August :eek:.
@Lump is a savvy investor. We share picks/info. His are usually better than mine.:rolleyes:

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: GoTslaGo and TMSE
For those of us who were around for the GTAT saga in 2014, a similar story may be playing out tomorrow for WATT.

For those new here, GTAT was thought to be possibly providing sapphire screens for the new iPhone and during the Apple reveal in September, turned out not to be. The stock had gone up quite a bit before the reveal in anticipation (but had settled down closer to the event), and ended up losing around 30% or so that day. Sadly it went bankrupt about a month later.

I (and many here) lost some money on that stock and it is a good reminder not to get too caught up in the hype machine. The ideal play would have been to buy a straddle (equal number of ATM calls and puts) since one didn't know which way it would move but did know it was going to make a big move either way.

WATT (Energous) is rumored to be the supplier to Apple of wireless charging technology for its newest iPhones. The stock went up over the last year based on these rumors. It had come back down a lot but went up 30% this week before dropping 7% today. The iPhone reveal is tomorrow and whether it does or doesn't have wireless charging (and if it does whether WATT is the supplier) will be a significant milestone for WATT stock.

I think tomorrow has the potential to be a massive binary decision for the stock price like GTAT (not the bankruptcy part but the Apple reveal part). If its tech is in the iPhone, the stock will jump. If not the stock will likely go way down. How much I don't know but it could easily be 30-40% or more. Weekly options are currently anticipating about an 8% move either way.

I don't have any position in WATT currently. I am planning on buying an equal number of weekly ATM calls and puts just before the Apple event starts at 10:00 am. I think there is an excellent risk:reward potential considering the high likelihood of a big move either way. I plan to sell within 1-2 hours as the news should likely be baked in at that point. I anticipate minimal time value loss but likely some IV drop so a small or no move will result in some losses.

For those of us who were around for the GTAT saga in 2014, a similar story may be playing out tomorrow for WATT.

For those new here, GTAT was thought to be possibly providing sapphire screens for the new iPhone and during the Apple reveal in September, turned out not to be. The stock had gone up quite a bit before the reveal in anticipation (but had settled down closer to the event), and ended up losing around 30% or so that day. Sadly it went bankrupt about a month later.

I (and many here) lost some money on that stock and it is a good reminder not to get too caught up in the hype machine. The ideal play would have been to buy a straddle (equal number of ATM calls and puts) since one didn't know which way it would move but did know it was going to make a big move either way.

WATT (Energous) is rumored to be the supplier to Apple of wireless charging technology for its newest iPhones. The stock went up over the last year based on these rumors. It had come back down a lot but went up 30% this week before dropping 7% today. The iPhone reveal is tomorrow and whether it does or doesn't have wireless charging (and if it does whether WATT is the supplier) will be a significant milestone for WATT stock.

I think tomorrow has the potential to be a massive binary decision for the stock price like GTAT (not the bankruptcy part but the Apple reveal part). If its tech is in the iPhone, the stock will jump. If not the stock will likely go way down. How much I don't know but it could easily be 30-40% or more. Weekly options are currently anticipating about an 8% move either way.

I don't have any position in WATT currently. I am planning on buying an equal number of weekly ATM calls and puts just before the Apple event starts at 10:00 am. I think there is an excellent risk:reward potential considering the high likelihood of a big move either way. I plan to sell within 1-2 hours as the news should likely be baked in at that point. I anticipate minimal time value loss but likely some IV drop so a small or no move will result in some losses.

I was watching WATT to see it move. PLUNGED as soon as the charging was introduced. wonder why that was bad? Something about it made it clear it wasn't their tech? disclosure: I have no position in WATT.

The iPhone 8 supports wireless charging

Qi charging standard for wireless will be used.

Energous – WattUp® Wire-Free Charging Technology

RF charging for WATT.

Possible reason? Or am I missing the picture...

Edit: also no position in WATT
Yes, the charging used is from a different company. I am holding the puts from my straddle expecting the price to go lower over the next couple days. Last year when the rumors were there as well, it dropped 3 days in a row after the iPhone reveal.

• Helpful
Reactions: GoTslaGo