Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm long AMZN and had to endure the recent dip from $1600 to $1400.

Now they massively beat earnings estimates and spoke of entering the banking industry: stock up 4% yesterday and up another 7% pre-market to $1620.

Excellent. In my opinion AMZN is a buy and hold just like TSLA, with less volatility and more security. I see AMZN reaching $10.000 in 10 years.

Reactions: neroden
I'm long AMZN and had to endure the recent dip from $1600 to $1400.

Now they massively beat earnings estimates and spoke of entering the banking industry: stock up 4% yesterday and up another 7% pre-market to $1620.

Excellent. In my opinion AMZN is a buy and hold just like TSLA, with less volatility and more security. I see AMZN reaching $10.000 in 10 years.
Also endured it as well. It’s always a question of where your dollar will do more. I was in amzn at cost 55. Sold long ago and repurchased at 1000. Am I kicking myself? Absolutely not. My other investments up over 10 times more than what I would have had had I not used those funds elsewhere. I will sell 15% of my amzn shares if we get close to 1700 today

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
On March 14, I mentioned selling 30% of my NVDA shares. The price was $249. Yesterday, I couldn't resist and bought back most of those shares at $223. While I remain less than fully comfortable with NVDA's exposure to cryptocurrencies (not a fan!), I'm seeing Nvidia as a key AI play.
I've grown a bit less comfortable with NVDA because the price has become wrapped up, to some extent, with the expected, continued rise of cryptocurrencies, which I consider to be over-hyped. At the same time, Nvidia has great products and is playing a key role in the growth of AI. I see it as a mixed bag.

I didn't get in as early as you did, but I've basically doubled my money on NVDA since early-ish last year. Your post nudged me toward liquidating roughly 30% of my shares for now.

Ah ha. Finally found this thread. Thanks for Cosmacelf for bumping the thread back up.

IRDM. I've finished accumulating at $10~$11 level so I can let the cat out of the hat now.
A company whose success is very much tied to SpaceX. It still suffers from the stigma of previous bankruptcy, but the new management have turned it around into less of a tech, but more of a utility like boring company. However, it is still a tech company in essence.

2 more launches until the new Iridium constellation gets completed. Meaning, Broadband satellite router on the go. But more importantly, any device can be connected to the rest of the interweb anywhere if they have power. IOT over satellite type of things. The upgrade from the old 55kbps modem like speed to broadband is a game changer in my opinion.

I believe that most people have discounted this company due to the heavy launch cost before and the projected launch cost based on old launch estimates. Then people simply forgot about the company once they decided it will eventually go bankrupt again if they cannot replace the old satellites.

There's a variable that changed between then and now. And that is Space X.

Good luck to you all.

Very nicely done with the buyback of the NVDA, abasile. I remember your mentioning that after I revealed having sold our entire position. Although I wish I’d gone your route of the repurchase, I am pretty sure having used those funds to snag just off the bottom with that TSLA drop - upping our position by 30% at $247.77 - remains a credible use of the money.

As far as Chamath and IPOA - I continue to be frustrated at the near complete silence at to what is being done with its cash pile. I’m finding it bizarre - most especailly given this is a quintessential Silicon Valley operation.

Ah ha. Finally found this thread. Thanks for Cosmacelf for bumping the thread back up.

IRDM. I've finished accumulating at $10~$11 level so I can let the cat out of the hat now.
A company whose success is very much tied to SpaceX. It still suffers from the stigma of previous bankruptcy, but the new management have turned it around into less of a tech, but more of a utility like boring company. However, it is still a tech company in essence.

2 more launches until the new Iridium constellation gets completed. Meaning, Broadband satellite router on the go. But more importantly, any device can be connected to the rest of the interweb anywhere if they have power. IOT over satellite type of things. The upgrade from the old 55kbps modem like speed to broadband is a game changer in my opinion.

I believe that most people have discounted this company due to the heavy launch cost before and the projected launch cost based on old launch estimates. Then people simply forgot about the company once they decided it will eventually go bankrupt again if they cannot replace the old satellites.

There's a variable that changed between then and now. And that is Space X.

Good luck to you all.
My problem with Iridium is that, if Starlink takes off, VOIP over Starlink with be all three of better, faster, cheaper than voice calls over Iridium, and when talking about data there will be no comparison. Maybe Iridium is a good bet for the next year or two, though. And Starlink may never happen.

My problem with Iridium is that, if Starlink takes off, VOIP over Starlink with be all three of better, faster, cheaper than voice calls over Iridium, and when talking about data there will be no comparison. Maybe Iridium is a good bet for the next year or two, though. And Starlink may never happen.

They really don't have to be mutually exclusive. Starlink will probably have its bandwidth full serving just Tesla cars. IRDM is serving industries that sits at the border of civilization. Aviation, forestry, military exploration etc. And their Iridium Next assets are not focused on VOIP but more on communication between devices. But yeah. Any new satellites will be better faster stronger.

They can probably also... talk to each other. I am actually surprised that Elon hasn't launched a temp partnership with IRDM to iterate through a fast deployment cycle before all of Starlink's satellite gets deployed.

I expect there to be more players in this area since the satellite bandwidth are still limited even with Iridium AND starlink. Being able to stream a youtube video to learn how to condense water in the desert or have a translator on the phone to talk to some african tribe for me is quite the useful thing.

This is the next utility sector.

But yeah. More of a decade before it will see any large movements.

Last edited:
Very nicely done with the buyback of the NVDA, abasile. I remember your mentioning that after I revealed having sold our entire position. Although I wish I’d gone your route of the repurchase, I am pretty sure having used those funds to snag just off the bottom with that TSLA drop - upping our position by 30% at $247.77 - remains a credible use of the money.
Right now, my NVDA buyback seems like a good move to have made, and thanks again for helping to nudge me to sell prior to that. That said, it’s hard to say how much or how little NVDA may be affected by a possible cryptocurrency fallout. Honestly, I’m not that comfortable with the idea of profiting from cryptocurrencies given the massive waste of energy and GHG emissions that is now associated with crypto mining. I’m really a fan of NVDA for AI, gaming, and other, non-crypto computation. But it’s hard to say how long I’ll want to hold it.

Buying TSLA at $247.77, now that was well done! I picked up more TSLA as well, but not quite that low.

They really don't have to be mutually exclusive. Starlink will probably have its bandwidth full serving just Tesla cars. IRDM is serving industries that sits at the border of civilization. Aviation, forestry, military exploration etc.

They can probably also... talk to each other. I am actually surprised that Elon hasn't launched a temp partnership with IRDM to iterate through a fast deployment cycle before all of Starlink's satellite gets deployed.

I expect there to be more players in this area since the satellite bandwidth are still limited even with Iridium AND starlink. Being able to stream a youtube video to learn how to condense water in the desert or have a translator on the phone to talk to some african tribe for me is quite the useful thing.

This is the next utility sector.

But yeah. More of a decade before it will see any large movements.

At the shareholder meeting, Elon made clear that starlink was for fixed installation, or large vessels (like ships and trucks). He said the antenna would be the size of a pizza box (large or small? With or without anchovies?) and specifically said that he didn’t think it would be appropriate for Tesla cars.

At the shareholder meeting, Elon made clear that starlink was for fixed installation, or large vessels (like ships and trucks). He said the antenna would be the size of a pizza box (large or small? With or without anchovies?) and specifically said that he didn’t think it would be appropriate for Tesla cars.

Ah thanks. I didn't follow Starlink at all. I assumed it was for Tesla. It'll be good competition that I'd like to see. It'll lower my monthly rental down. After reading about it a bit. It seems like it is a geostationary type of constellation. Several others already exist in this space and also competes in this satellite communication race. I believe these other ones who uses geostationary constellations will be the immediate competitor to Tesla's Starlink.

Ah thanks. I didn't follow Starlink at all. I assumed it was for Tesla. It'll be good competition that I'd like to see. It'll lower my monthly rental down. After reading about it a bit. It seems like it is a geostationary type of constellation. Several others already exist in this space and also competes in this satellite communication race. I believe these other ones who uses geostationary constellations will be the immediate competitor to Tesla's Starlink.

Starlink is not geostationary. It is very low earth orbit. So low that is has unusually low latency (25ms) for a satellite broadband service. And Tesla does not own Starlink. It is being done under the SpaceX umbrella (I don’t know if it has been spun out as a separate company).

Starlink is not geostationary. It is very low earth orbit. So low that is has unusually low latency (25ms) for a satellite broadband service. And Tesla does not own Starlink. It is being done under the SpaceX umbrella (I don’t know if it has been spun out as a separate company).

Ok. yeah. In my mind tesla=spacex=elon. If it needs to be differentiated for you it's fine. I refer to them as the same thing.

Right. Misread the wiki article. It says non-geostationary.

So the downside is a big pizza box receiver.

Which means the Tesla cars can use Iridium handsets, but the bandwidth usage will be too costly and large. So a pipe dream for another 10 years.

Also endured it as well. It’s always a question of where your dollar will do more. I was in amzn at cost 55. Sold long ago and repurchased at 1000. Am I kicking myself? Absolutely not. My other investments up over 10 times more than what I would have had had I not used those funds elsewhere. I will sell 15% of my amzn shares if we get close to 1700 today
Sold 10% of amzn at 1697. Will do another 10% at 1800

Yes I agree it does but it’s always a question of where the money will do best. I believe tesla more likely to double sooner than amzn. Also have to be concerned with a vengeful president, trade war etc. I don’t diversify so I like to keep 3 to 4 years of cash. I would not be adverse to getting more shares in it if it were to drop significantly for no good reason. I sold 10% of my tesla stock when above 370 and bought back more shares in 280s