TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

What other tech stock to consider?

Discussion in 'TSLA Investor Discussions' started by Sanny, Jul 10, 2013.

1. abasile

abasile Conscientious investor

San Bernardino Mts., CA (Elev. 6100' / 1900m)
    According to this Gallup poll, vegans and vegetarians compromise roughly 8% of the US population:
    Snapshot: Few Americans Vegetarian or Vegan

Here's a Wikipedia entry that gives percentages for a number of other countries (and cites the above Gallup poll):
    Vegetarianism by country - Wikipedia

One might argue that, even if Beyond Meat is too expensive to attract most consumers, they could do okay just by selling to vegans and vegetarians who are willing to pay more for meat-like products, plus consumers who are trying to "cut back" on meat. Is that a large enough market to justify buying the stock? Hmm, I don't know. Food for thought.

The really exciting market opportunity (and environmental boon) would come from selling to anyone who just wants a better burger. But that's apparently expecting too much for now. The Impossible Burger (from Impossible Foods) is also an attempt to achieve that, and may be a more convincing meat substitute than the Beyond Burger, but it still doesn't quite appear to have captured the hearts of meat lovers.

• Like x 1
  2. EVNow

EVNow Active Member

One caution about traditional vegetarians like me vs “converted” to not eating meat. I wouldn’t even think of getting anything like a meat substitute, even the thought of it is as repulsive as eating meat. So you can strike off the largest vegetarian market, India, as a possible large market.

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 2
  3. AudubonB

AudubonB Mild-mannered Moderator Lord Vetinari*

I found nothing in the Gallup data that probed into for how long a respondent had been vegetarian, nor amongst non-v's whether they had been one in the past and if so, for how long.

My wife and her mother are lapsed v's. When she came to Alaska, she'd been vegetarian for most of her adult life; the exigencies of our lifestyle, however, preclude that choice. As a reasonably useless aside with which I will regale you anyway, one of the very first things I told her about me was that I was a vegetable rights advocate, which at the time she thought hilarious but now regards as background noise in a sea of Audieisms.

• Funny x 3
  4. neroden

neroden Model S Owner and Frustrated Tesla Fan

I'm also looking at NEOEN. No free cash, though

• Helpful x 1
  5. neroden

neroden Model S Owner and Frustrated Tesla Fan

I haven't dug in in detail, but there are *big* differences between the NY and VA AMZN deals.

Apparently NY demanded that AMZN build a lot of infrastructure for NY and donate it to the city, though I haven't seen the details.
    VA didn't.

6. defc0n

defc0n Member

FMC seems pretty undervalued right now. What am I missing?

7. uselesslogin

uselesslogin Active Member

Are you missing the spinoff? FMC's Lithium business is now LTHM.

• Informative x 1
  8. defc0n

defc0n Member

Ahhh I didn’t know they actually went through with that. And LTHM already seems pretty fairly valued.

9. Glenn Tieman

Glenn Tieman Member

Anyone have an opinion on renewable energy yieldcos TERP, EVA, CVS, HASI, and PEGI? How would they be in recession? They've seemed to hold pretty well during the down times recently. Any others that don't include fossil and pay good dividends? Sold my GPP yesterday, just doesn't cut it in a couple of ways.

10. mongo

mongo Well-Known Member

11. AudubonB

AudubonB Mild-mannered Moderator Lord Vetinari*

Have any of you California Techies learned or heard anything new about Palihapitiya's "Hedosophia" (IPOA // IPOA-U)? Other than the June article suggesting a slew of departures, there has been so frustratingly little news - good bad or otherwise - that it beggars imagination for a tech firm in this day and age. Stock price likewise has been flat-lined.