Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How big is the vegan market ?
According to this Gallup poll, vegans and vegetarians compromise roughly 8% of the US population:
Snapshot: Few Americans Vegetarian or Vegan

Here's a Wikipedia entry that gives percentages for a number of other countries (and cites the above Gallup poll):
Vegetarianism by country - Wikipedia

One might argue that, even if Beyond Meat is too expensive to attract most consumers, they could do okay just by selling to vegans and vegetarians who are willing to pay more for meat-like products, plus consumers who are trying to "cut back" on meat. Is that a large enough market to justify buying the stock? Hmm, I don't know. Food for thought.

The really exciting market opportunity (and environmental boon) would come from selling to anyone who just wants a better burger. But that's apparently expecting too much for now. The Impossible Burger (from Impossible Foods) is also an attempt to achieve that, and may be a more convincing meat substitute than the Beyond Burger, but it still doesn't quite appear to have captured the hearts of meat lovers.

Reactions: aubreymcfato
According to this Gallup poll, vegans and vegetarians compromise roughly 8% of the US population:
Snapshot: Few Americans Vegetarian or Vegan

Here's a Wikipedia entry that gives percentages for a number of other countries (and cites the above Gallup poll):
Vegetarianism by country - Wikipedia

One might argue that, even if Beyond Meat is too expensive to attract most consumers, they could do okay just by selling to vegans and vegetarians who are willing to pay more for meat-like products, plus consumers who are trying to "cut back" on meat. Is that a large enough market to justify buying the stock? Hmm, I don't know. Food for thought.

The really exciting market opportunity (and environmental boon) would come from selling to anyone who just wants a better burger. But that's apparently expecting too much for now. The Impossible Burger (from Impossible Foods) is also an attempt to achieve that, and may be a more convincing meat substitute than the Beyond Burger, but it still doesn't quite appear to have captured the hearts of meat lovers.
One caution about traditional vegetarians like me vs “converted” to not eating meat. I wouldn’t even think of getting anything like a meat substitute, even the thought of it is as repulsive as eating meat. So you can strike off the largest vegetarian market, India, as a possible large market.

I found nothing in the Gallup data that probed into for how long a respondent had been vegetarian, nor amongst non-v's whether they had been one in the past and if so, for how long.

My wife and her mother are lapsed v's. When she came to Alaska, she'd been vegetarian for most of her adult life; the exigencies of our lifestyle, however, preclude that choice. As a reasonably useless aside with which I will regale you anyway, one of the very first things I told her about me was that I was a vegetable rights advocate, which at the time she thought hilarious but now regards as background noise in a sea of Audieisms.

Bought a bunch of EPA:NEOEN stocks (IPO on Oct 9 @ EUR 18.80). The French renewable energy company manages Tesla's powerpacks at Hornsdale Wind Farm. Do you think they might deploy some megapacks for utilities / big businesses or will utilities directly manage the batteries?
I'm also looking at NEOEN. No free cash, though

• Helpful
Reactions: replicant
Regarding AMZN:
I closely followed the structure of the incentives that Nevada provided to Tesla when negotiating for obtaining the Gigafactory location. As someone who for over thirty years has been unrelentingly critical of tax incentives for corporate re-locations, I was refreshingly pleased at the responsible ways in which the state ensured its carrots were matched step by step with sticks, and that Tesla did have to meet goal after goal in order to obtain the subsequent plum.

I have not looked at any of the details of the NY-AMZN or VA-AMZN deals. Has anyone good information on these, or seen a sobsersided analysis of same that I could investigate? Lloyd's mention of the 9:1 ratio is a start, but only just a tiny step and in itself not more than a "trust me, this is good for us" statement.

I haven't dug in in detail, but there are *big* differences between the NY and VA AMZN deals.

Apparently NY demanded that AMZN build a lot of infrastructure for NY and donate it to the city, though I haven't seen the details.
VA didn't.

Anyone have an opinion on renewable energy yieldcos TERP, EVA, CVS, HASI, and PEGI? How would they be in recession? They've seemed to hold pretty well during the down times recently. Any others that don't include fossil and pay good dividends? Sold my GPP yesterday, just doesn't cut it in a couple of ways.

Have any of you California Techies learned or heard anything new about Palihapitiya's "Hedosophia" (IPOA // IPOA-U)? Other than the June article suggesting a slew of departures, there has been so frustratingly little news - good bad or otherwise - that it beggars imagination for a tech firm in this day and age. Stock price likewise has been flat-lined.

I heard good things of SPWR panels, was considering installing them myself (in Italy).
I've seen that solar stocks have been hammered in the last few years, hope they'll come back.
I have two 4.3 kw systems on my home. One uses Trina panels, the other Sun Power. The Sun Power actually produces 10% more! Both systems are the same age.

Facebook looking interesting at these levels. Amazon.... What are folks seeing as cheap right now in tech, if anything? Horizon: LONGGG.

I'll check out SPWR.
Not FB.

It’s as good as dead. Too arrogant, too corrupt and no respect for customer data at all.

There will be a plethora of investigations and regulations on FB all over the world. If they are going to destabilize the world’s most powerful democracies, do you really think they will let FB thrive ?

Even Silicon Valley is calling for FB regulation.

Sun Power, SPWR is at a year low. It's a good company with good product. There is a lot of serious legislation that bodes well for solar and a lot more coming in 2019. It's a good time to buy SPWR today.
How does it compete with the Chinese solar ? I used to invest in solar a long time back - but gave up because the Chinese were getting agressively inexpensive.