TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

What other tech stock to consider?

Discussion in 'TSLA Investor Discussions' started by Sanny, Jul 10, 2013.

1. defc0n

defc0n Member

Own Uber for about 2 days at IPO, then short it.

• Like x 1
  2. defc0n

defc0n Member

I'd probably buy ALB again soon if I wasn't dedicated to what I hope to be another TSLA bottom.

• Like x 1
  3. defc0n

defc0n Member

Welp my short call would’ve played out pretty nicely. Uber is a tougher nut to crack. If I had to pick one over the other I’d pick short, but I’d rather not play that one.

• Informative x 1
  4. AudubonB

AudubonB Mild-mannered Moderator Lord Vetinari*

Well, I see that Qualcomm finally has found a universe in which the stars occasionally align. Up 23% yesterday and another 15% so far this morning.

We've had a small position in QCOM for just over nine years - $35 entry point. What a frustration it's been for so long.

Now that the company has resolved its multi-year dispute with Apple, Huawei is next. I know that there is one prominent member of this forum with infinitely more information about and exposure to QCOM than I....throwing this out there to learn whether that person can and is willing to share anything.

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  5. Drax7

Drax7 Active Member

As soon as I heard the announcement I jumped in and bought.
    Qualcomm has the dominant 5g technology that Apple desperately needs

In order to remain competitive with Samsung and China .
    Apple had no choice once Intel decided not to pursue 5g chipsets.

One analyst is looking for $7 per share in fiscal 2021.
    Conservatively $100 per share would not surprise me.

• Informative x 1
  6. abasile

abasile Conscientious investor

San Bernardino Mts., CA (Elev. 6100' / 1900m)
    Several days ago, with NIO back in the ~$5.30 range, I couldn't resist, and rebought the modest position that I had sold in early March. While I couldn't justify holding at ~$10 after a quick run-up, particularly with them outsourcing manufacturing, the current price is more attractive. It is nice to be able to participate in another pure EV play. Apple is another company that outsources a great deal of manufacturing, so perhaps NIO will be able to make this arrangement work in the long run. We'll see.

• Informative x 1
  7. defc0n

defc0n Member

I got lucky yet againand caught ALB near it’s bottom today (with money I took out of TSLA a few days ago). They report earnings on May 8, but I might want to jump fully back into TSLA before then. I’m not expecting super positive earnings from ALB anyway, though.

If I were smart, I’d probably just hold a position long term with them, as their valuation right now seems very attractive. I see a 30% upside on them in the medium term, in what I consider a pretty low risk stock. There is a slight risk in breaking below a technical support price at this level, but the valuation is so low already such that it would be pretty dumb for that to happen.

Lithium stocks still haven’t recovered from their crash, sadly.

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  8. RobPet

RobPet Member

Beyond Meat (BYND) anyone? Besides the IPO surge, how do you guys feel about them? A strong disruptor?
    There valuation is now nearly $4 billion. Seems absurd (sounds familiar...:rolleyes:)

• Like x 1
  9. ggies07

ggies07 Supporting Member

I love their meat patties...thought about investing, but not sure on Management style, etc....

• Like x 1
  10. ggies07

• Like x 3
  11. ggies07

BYND IPO $25
    By afternoon $45
    End of Day $60s
    A few days later - Now - $79

I wanted to invest and missed when the IPO date was happening....damnit! look at all the free money.

12. aubreymcfato

aubreymcfato Member

Yep, I feel the same. But I'm not able to do a fundamental analysis about this, could be another SV bubble... Let's see in a week or a month.

• Like x 1
  13. Ocelot

Ocelot Member

I put in a buy for 25 bucks night before... well that was WAY off. I also sampled the breakfast sammy at A and W. It was ok, and I would get it again for environmental reasons, but the real meat tastes way better, and has less calories.

14. defc0n

defc0n Member

I bought LTHM today after its 25% or whatever dip today and did very well. Its valuation is even more stupidly lower than ALB now.

15. shrspeedblade

shrspeedblade Rideshare Monkey

Since I drive some Uber on the side, I had a chance to get in early on the IPO. I was seriously considering taking a small stake (10 shares) and then selling right away if it popped right afterwards. I balked when I found out I would have to open a Morgan Stanley account! :mad:
    See, hatred and loathing aren't always a bad thing! :D

If you're watching BYND like I am you're braver than I am if you jump in, I think future growth potential is there but it will take a long time to grow into its current valuation.

Bought a little more ALB, my current preference among lithium providers. I agree with @defcon the valuations are pretty low right now considering just about everybody is talking about getting into electric cars.

• Informative x 1
  16. ggies07

BYND at $89 now.....damnit! hahahaha.

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  17. hcsharp

hcsharp Active Member

Every few years somebody comes out with a new line of meatless or dairy-free products and hypes it up like it's some kind of disruption or innovative new invention. I don't see much different with BYND. Certainly not enough different to justify the share price.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  18. Compton

Compton Member

Is there any way for a retail investor to invest in SpaceX?

19. mongo

mongo Well-Known Member

Sadly, no.
    Edit: at least not directly at a normal investment level

• Informative x 1
  20. shrspeedblade

shrspeedblade Rideshare Monkey

Hey, if this keeps up BYND will have a larger market cap then TSLA pretty soon! :)