TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

What other tech stock to consider?

Discussion in 'TSLA Investor Discussions' started by Sanny, Jul 10, 2013.

1. neroden

neroden Model S Owner and Frustrated Tesla Fan

If you're an "accredited investor" (basically == a million dollars to invest, or a high enough income), you go to someplace like SharesPost or ForgeGlobal, or find someone on this forum who is already connected to the private equity raises, and try to get in on the next funding round.

SpaceX will warn you that they will never pay a dividend, that they are quite possibly never going public, and will explain that you can sell part of your stock back TO THEM every six months at prices of THEIR choosing, though they can discontinue this at any time they like; and you can make a private sale but they have right of first refusal to buy your stock at the price of their choice. So, it's super-illiquid. Deliberately.

Tesla could delist and still be a lot more liquid than that!

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  2. anthonyj

anthonyj Stonks

TSLA. If anything were to happen to Tesla, Elon would sell/leverage his stake in SpaceX or merge the two companies. He would do it in a way to screw the shorts, I’m sure

3. ggies07

ggies07 Supporting Member

TSLA down, BYND up to $102

[​IMG]

• Funny x 4
  4. ggies07

ggies07 Supporting Member

BYND!!!!!!!!! Damnit.

5. shrspeedblade

shrspeedblade Rideshare Monkey

I thought about a small short position- so glad I didn’t lol!

6. Kuhz

Kuhz Active Member

Now you can think about it :). What goes up may come down

7. anthonyj

anthonyj Stonks

Baidu, Weibo, etc

Or more Tesla

8. shrspeedblade

shrspeedblade Rideshare Monkey

The borrowing interest is hideous! No thanks.
    I’d rather just wait until it drops back at the next recession then go long as I think like Tesla there is a benefit to humanity here.

9. heltok

heltok Member

10. Todesbuckler

Todesbuckler New Member

Is someone else interested in Niu (Chinese Electric Scooter company)?
    Investor Relations - Niu Technologies

The company is growing rapidly (at the moment 70-100% revenue yoy).
    They are like Tesla in the premium section of the market (using Panasonic cells and a good smartphone app)
    In addition, they achieved a net profit with a solid gross-margin in Q1.
    Roughly 80-90% of the sales are in China. They are, in the subset of Lithium-Ion scooter companies, among the market leaders.
    In Europe, the scooters from Niu are, in my perspective, the best value/cost option in the market with rising market shares.

The stock price decreased rapidly from over 13 USD to 6 USD. Implying only a 10 PE ratio for next year.
    I did some research on my own (especially for Europe and the US). The company seems to be fine in those regions. See as a proxy e.g. google searches: https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?date=2017-01-01%202019-07-07&q=Niu%20scooter,Niu%20roller,Niu%20ngt&hl=de&tz=-120

However, their main market China is a black box for me. In China, a regulation on electric bikes went into effect in April. Unfortunately, my Mandarin is non-existent and Google translate only helps partially.

Even so I don't like SA (due to a potential bias against TSLA), for Niu a good article was published: https://seekingalpha.com/article/4273033-niu-technologies-price-weakness-opportunity-first-mover-advantage-key-urban-mobility-markets

Overall, I think Niu might be a great investment opportunity. Would be great to have some other insights and opinions, too. Especially someone with access to Chinese information (e.g. Baidu search index for the company) would be highly appreciated.

• Like x 1
  11. AudubonB

AudubonB Mild-mannered Moderator Lord Vetinari*

Well!

When we amassed quite a sizable position of Chamath Palihapitiya’s “Hedosophia” blind pool (IPOA) back in September, 2017 (thanks, @TMSE), we had no idea that for the next 19-20 months it would be the most moribund, no-news investment I’d ever made.

But nor had we any idea that today’s news could possibly be in the offing!

As has widely been reported, they now have merged with Branson’s Virgin Galactic, with the idea of going public with it in short order.

Now, as far as space travel goes, I am far more interested in what I consider to be an important mission - Mr Musk’s plans for Mars. Space tourism is not, ===>in itself<=== important to me. But I also believe it to have the ability to become an exciting industry AND anything that gives space travel more exposure is, insofar as it can enhance Mr Musk’s goals, credibly important.

Market likes the news, too. IPOA had a very good day.

• Informative x 1
  12. ggr

ggr Roadster R80 537, SigS P85 29, M3P 80k

Well, it hit a lifetime high, but only 2.5% today since the announcement, and only about 15% since its own IPO. I got bored with holding it a while back.

13. AudubonB

Right - as in my “moribund” description; my feed has it up not 2.5% but 4.94% on the day, though (IPOA-UN). I do admit our position has best been described as “If I Need A Source Of Funds I Know Where To Go”.

Let’s hope the next 20 months are a bit zingier.

14. ggr

ggr Roadster R80 537, SigS P85 29, M3P 80k

Oh, I was looking at IPOA, not IPOA-UN. What's the difference?

15. Ocelot

Ocelot Member

Not really feeling "space' tourism. I have no idea, how many Tesla's need to replace ICE vehicles to compensate for one blast off, but imagine it is a lot. Also, I am completely hypocritical, as I do take trips via airplane.

16. AudubonB

1 Share + 1 Warrant = 1 Unit of Hedosophia.

17. mrmage

mrmage Member

#1857 mrmage, Jul 10, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
    Some opportunities I see. Nothing with nearly the same potential as Tesla of course.

BABA, but it will be capped for at least a couple months until Altaba sells their other 50% of BABA, around $20b worth as I recall. If macros are still decent by then, this should jump.

FB if Libra isn’t stopped by the gov. FB doesn’t control the crypto so they shouldn’t, but it’s a bad look to associate Libra with Facebook. If Libra moves forward, FB will have one of the dominant wallets, which opens up a huge array of services to a new market that’s Amazonian in scale.

Also have the usual tech suspects like AMZN and GOOG, and Brookfield variations.

18. skybluecgreen

skybluecgreen Member

I buy on strength and that method has not worked well recently but on Monday I bought BYND, TWTR, MTCH and ZS. Up a bit on all except ZS. Today was a strong day technically for the general market and I bought NFLX, AMZN (should have bought it yesterday,) and MDB.