Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
almost 16% in total today for Cree. There must of been alot of pent up buying waiting for the stock after it took the huge fall after the Q2 report. I guess this upgrade is what the stock needed to show people its time to buy back into them. So much so we are starting to flirt with their pre Q2 levels. 52week before earnings was $76 and we are almost there. Like i said i wouldnt be shocked to see Cree at $100 in two years time.

been thinking about getting in CREE for awhile ... sorry I missed this great run up ... I will be buying some shares after TSLA recovers from this dip.

When will TWTR be available for retail investors?

Yes if your broker get new issues from Goldman. Mine (TD Ameritrade) will get TWTR and I can apply to purchase new issues. The only requirement is to either have $250k in account value or more than 30 trades in the last 90 days. There is also a no-flipping restriction

TD Ameritrade defines "flipping" as buying shares of an IPO and selling them within 30 calendar days from the date the IPO was initially publicly traded. Customers may be excluded from participating in future IPOs if a pattern of selling IPO shares within 30 calendar days exists.

I'm still on the fence whether to apply for TWTR. Need more time to read the S-1. Some good info has already been extracted and discussed on Reddit.

When will TWTR be available for retail investors?

Any guru cares to share his thoughts on TWTR with noobs like me?

On the first trading day. You can add the quote and click buy the moment it's start trading that day. This will take some time, they haven't even selected the exchange yet (NASDAQ or NYSE).

PS: Just don't buy TWTRQ. Some people apparently didn't see the Q at the end today. This is a bankrupt penny stock up to 1500% (!) so far...

TWTR Inc: OTCMKTS:TWTRQ quotes & news - Google Finance

Must have been a nice pump and dump scheme to make people think it's TWTR. People will soon realize this is not the stock they were looking for.

PPS: Personally, I wouldn't buy any of these social media stocks. Peers FB (125 billion) and LNKD (30 billion) already look overvalued to me and TWTR will probably trade in tandem with those valuations:

Twitter’s prospectus also offered a look at how it has grown; it reported that it had 218 million average monthly active users in the second quarter, up 44 percent from the same period a year ago. But at the end of December, it said it had about 200 million users, suggesting that growth was slowing.
Its revenue for the first half of this year was $253.6 million, more than double the amount it brought in during the same period last year.
Yet Twitter has been steadily losing money, reporting a net loss of $79 million last year and $69 million for the first six months of 2013, although some analysts said such losses were not unreasonable for a young, fast-growing company
Twitter has not set a price for its offering. When it last set an internal price for employees, in August, it valued the stock at $20.62 a share, suggesting a value at that time of $9.7 billion. That figure is equal to 22 times the sales that the company posted in the 12 months through June. Such a valuation is high, even for a young technology company, analysts say.
But since Twitter has shown growth in advertising sales, investors will value the stock based on their expectations of future revenue and profit.
Facebook’s stock market value is 12 times the sales that analysts expect the company to achieve next year. Some expect Twitter to reach $1 billion in sales next year. If the company were to trade at 12 times that estimate, it would be worth $12 billion. Some analysts will probably argue that Twitter is growing faster and therefore deserves to trade at a higher multiple of sales, which could push up Twitter’s stock market value.

http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2013/10/03/twitter-discloses-its-i-p-o-plans/

But then I'm not a momentum trader, I look at valuations closely, so these stocks are not for me in general. You could also buy a sector ETF to at least reduce the single-stock risk a little (NASDAQ:SOCL). Then again, FB, LNKD and TWTR will likely trade in a highly similar fashion going forward - especially since FB and TWTR are almost fully dependent on advertising revenue, LNKD has some subscription revenue options from (professional) users.

Last edited:
Yes if your broker get new issues from Goldman. Mine (TD Ameritrade) will get TWTR and I can apply to purchase new issues. The only requirement is to either have $250k in account value or more than 30 trades in the last 90 days.

Highly publicized IPOs are almost always over-subscribed, I doubt most retail investors stand a chance even if they meet the broker requirements. As we have seen with many high-profile IPOs, there is usually a chance to get in later in the first months of trading at a much cheaper price, GM and FB are recent examples.

Highly publicized IPOs are almost always over-subscribed, I doubt most retail investors stand a chance even if they meet the broker requirements. As we have seen with many high-profile IPOs, there is usually a chance to get in later in the first months of trading at a much cheaper price, GM and FB are recent examples.

yep. Agreed. I'm gonna wait a month after IPO and see how things are doing.

What does everyone think of FB going into earnings? I have Nov16 $50 calls that hopefully will see some earnings action. Most estimates I've seen are promising. I assume its current lackluster performance is due to the government debt nonsense, but it still makes me debate whether I should look for decent profits and pull out pre-earnings or just sit tight like my original plan.

I have some call in FB as well. I have some lottery tickets i bought after Q2. I plan on selling half and before Q3 and taking profits on those lottery tickets, because they have already hit big.
FB will have a good Q3, that is a given, but will it be better then Q2 is what i dont know. The huge run up since Q2 primarily happened due to the shift in ad revenue to mobile. If there is not a huge take from Mobile again (an more growth) then Q3 could fall flat in many people's eyes.

The dark horse in the Q3 report will be if they have started to monetize instagram. I have poked around on the site and have not seen many ads really at all, but since i am not a user of it i cant really tell. IF they come out and say they have monetized Instagram and are making good profit off it, i would expect to see a huge run like in Q2. However, i just dont see the Instragram card in the deck yet.

I have some call in FB as well. I have some lottery tickets i bought after Q2. I plan on selling half and before Q3 and taking profits on those lottery tickets, because they have already hit big.
FB will have a good Q3, that is a given, but will it be better then Q2 is what i dont know. The huge run up since Q2 primarily happened due to the shift in ad revenue to mobile. If there is not a huge take from Mobile again (an more growth) then Q3 could fall flat in many people's eyes.

The dark horse in the Q3 report will be if they have started to monetize instagram. I have poked around on the site and have not seen many ads really at all, but since i am not a user of it i cant really tell. IF they come out and say they have monetized Instagram and are making good profit off it, i would expect to see a huge run like in Q2. However, i just dont see the Instragram card in the deck yet.

Thanks for the response. Thats pretty much my feeling is that there may not be enough new and interesting news from earnings to send it through the roof again. Hopefully once the debt talk subsides the stock price will start the uptrend again.

Well I guess thats a good sign I should pull out for the time being while I'm still slightly in the green haha.

Probably invest that money in CSIQ instead when it dips down. Seems like that has more of a chance of a kick-butt earnings than FB does at this point.

Another option is to build on my NAVB investment. Theres several good options that have been brought to my attention thanks to members of this board.

Very insightful community!

Well I guess thats a good sign I should pull out for the time being while I'm still slightly in the green haha.

Probably invest that money in CSIQ instead when it dips down. Seems like that has more of a chance of a kick-butt earnings than FB does at this point.

Another option is to build on my NAVB investment. Theres several good options that have been brought to my attention thanks to members of this board.

Very insightful community!

Clemson-Did you end up buying NAVB today? I bought 1000 more shares at 2.43, and in the after hours it was up 10% or more on the good results of the head and neck trials. In my experience, with small volume biotech companies the bounce in the after hours usually doesn't hold the next day to the same degree. Tomorrow I'd guess we see 2.45-2.50, but usually the after hours is an over reaction. Anyway, I flipped those shares in the after hours for 2.60.

edit: i should add that I'm not selling my position, only the shares i picked up this morning because it was so ridiculously low. With the head and neck data, that should provide for expanded label for lymphoseek, which dramatically increases the market for Lymphoseek and I see it as a tremendously good thing. I just don't have the margin ability to hold this many shares long term.

Last edited: