Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Of course they do. Everyone pushing fuel cell says the same thing. I just happen to agree with Elon on this subject.
You may have lost money 20 years ago but they’re up 1023% YTD.
Indeed. I never said you couldn't make money on the stock.
i really don’t want to get into a pissing match about fuel cells vs batteries. It was just a stock pick for folks to check out and make their own decisions about.
Not sure why it's a pissing match if I have a different opinion about a company and their technology. It just seems to me that everything which makes EV's better than FCV's for passenger vehicles also applies to forklifts.

Not sure why it's a pissing match if I have a different opinion about a company and their technology. It just seems to me that everything which makes EV's better than FCV's for passenger vehicles also applies to forklifts.

never said it was a pissing match if you have a different opinion just said I don’t want to get in one. It’s a stock pick, nothing more, time will tell which technology wins out or if they both thrive. For now both companies seem to be increasing revenue and seeing their stock price go up. I see no reason why we can’t benefit from both.

Oh, certainly not arguing anything and I appreciate anyone willing to contribute. I was just curious if you were looking at it long or short term.

It’s all good. The honest answer is that I don’t know how it’ll work out long term but they seem to be increasing revenue, filling orders, and growing. Valuations are always tricky and I’m no expert in the matter. I personally think both TSLA and PLUG are overvalued at this point but that won’t stop me from riding the stocks a little longer if I think there’s momentum to keep them going up.

• Helpful
Reactions: GleanerC
Does anyone else feel like the current market smacks of the dot com bubble?

I saw a video a couple months ago where Cathie Wood addressed this. She said something to the effect of this time it's different because in the late nineties the technologies were a dream, now they are a reality. I believe that's true to an extent, for a few companies like Tesla. However, other companies like Quantumscape, are wildly over valued in my eyes. Which is more predominant, companies like Tesla that deserve their valuation or companies that have been carried by irrational exuberance? What's going to happen to the market as a whole, or to Tesla (the largest holding for all of us), when rationality returns?

Any thoughts on solar stocks that would be buoyed by an expansion of Solar Roof / Powerwall? Word in the TeslaSolar subreddit is that Tesla is developing their own inverter, which could represent a pretty big blow to SolarEdge.
ENPH has done quite nicely for me so far.
I prefer microinverters over string inverters, have 37 IQ7's on my roof, would dearly love IQ8's after seeing 1 microgrid with a panel in a demo a year or so back.
I had 1 microinverter go bad in first 2 weeks (electronics die early or last forever it seems)

I saw a video a couple months ago where Cathie Wood addressed this. She said something to the effect of this time it's different because in the late nineties the technologies were a dream, now they are a reality. I believe that's true to an extent, for a few companies like Tesla. However, other companies like Quantumscape, are wildly over valued in my eyes. Which is more predominant, companies like Tesla that deserve their valuation or companies that have been carried by irrational exuberance? What's going to happen to the market as a whole, or to Tesla (the largest holding for all of us), when rationality returns?

Yep. Which is why it is a good idea to build up cash reserve and reaching profitability is important during this period. Only the big and orofitable ones will survive a collapse.

Reactions: willow_hiller

It feels like that but by facts "this time is different" lol. Seriously though, dot com bubble was pure irrational exuberance. Bonds still payed good money at the time and there was no real reason coming from the financial system to engage in that behavior. It was pure human weakness. This time we got all these hot dollars looking for a place to go plus a complete lack of any safer ways to preserve savings purchasing power. So we have a bitcoin bubble indicative of desire for save haven and stock bubble indicative of desire for growth. Unlike dotcom neither is irrational, the problem is that neither actually work. The situation simply doesn't offer any good solutions.

Looks to me is more and more likely to already be at escape velocity and bound to culminate in an uncontrolled explosion. Which will result in a drastic decrease in the standard of living in US and probably most of the rest of the world except maybe China.

One thing that seems weird to me is, why is BTC going up but not GLD?

Going back to the thread topic, what is a good strategy for these times if you have a bunch of risky start-up type investments? You can't go in cash because that will not be a vehicle to retain purchasing power at all. BTC is risky because it will likely fall victim of government intervention. Only thing I can think of is to somehow get on a currency arbitrage with Renminbi but I have no idea how to do that.

Last edited:
sens.PNG

I've been following this stock for awhile... They just received a patent yesterday and are prep'd for a good run. I expect it to 10x but you guys know the deal... this is not financial advise.

Other stocks for you guys to watch are Peter Thiel's BWTN with high growth potential and Ark's accumulation of PACB.

View attachment 620712
I've been following this stock for awhile... They just received a patent yesterday and are prep'd for a good run. I expect it to 10x but you guys know the deal... this is not financial advise.

Other stocks for you guys to watch are Peter Thiel's BWTN with high growth potential and Ark's accumulation of PACB.

Thanks for the info. Opened a small position (not advice).

It feels like that but by facts "this time is different" lol. Seriously though, dot com bubble was pure irrational exuberance. Bonds still payed good money at the time and there was no real reason coming from the financial system to engage in that behavior. It was pure human weakness. This time we got all these hot dollars looking for a place to go plus a complete lack of any safer ways to preserve savings purchasing power. So we have a bitcoin bubble indicative of desire for save haven and stock bubble indicative of desire for growth. Unlike dotcom neither is irrational, the problem is that neither actually work. The situation simply doesn't offer any good solutions.

Looks to me is more and more likely to already be at escape velocity and bound to culminate in an uncontrolled explosion. Which will result in a drastic decrease in the standard of living in US and probably most of the rest of the world except maybe China.

One thing that seems weird to me is, why is BTC going up but not GLD?

Going back to the thread topic, what is a good strategy for these times if you have a bunch of risky start-up type investments? You can't go in cash because that will not be a vehicle to retain purchasing power at all. BTC is risky because it will likely fall victim of government intervention. Only thing I can think of is to somehow get on a currency arbitrage with Renminbi but I have no idea how to do that.

You can't really withdraw Renminbi in cash form outside of China. So the arbitrage opportunity isn't there. Also, I wouldn't touch anything China for wealth preservation purposes.

This dilemmna we are in is pretty vexing as well. It's as if an invisible hand is corralling us into a barrel and there's no way to get out of it. You either take on the risk and buy stock? (which result in losing wealth because most ppl can't navigate the risky environment) Or you get to safety and have the stealth inflation slowly erode your purchasing power away. There doesn't seem to be an in between or any riskless way to preserve purchasing power.

View attachment 620712

Wish you posted that on Tuesday, up 135% now! :eek:

• Funny
Reactions: bkp_duke
I have a "tech" stock to consider selling, shorting, buying puts.
I have followed them for years.
All of the executives have sold SOLD SOLD

http://www.insidercow.com/history/company.jsp?company=nvax&B1=Search!

They have no products to sell.
They have never brought a vaccine to market.

I'd be careful with that one. Phase 3 results are due soon and it seems like most of the other COVID vaccines are coming up with good results. If you are shorting at this point then you are betting that the trial results are negative.

But after the trial results read out, I might join you.

I'd be careful with that one. Phase 3 results are due soon and it seems like most of the other COVID vaccines are coming up with good results. If you are shorting at this point then you are betting that the trial results are negative.

But after the trial results read out, I might join you.

They sold off their manufacturing plants.
They delayed US st 3 trials twice
They were on the verge of delisting
US population approaching 6% that have had it, more likely had but not tested
My quick net search suggests they might vaccinate 13% population per month with moderna and Pfizer
3-4 months vaccines along with case counts= herd immunity

If NOVAX (symbol NVAX) had a vaccine, company leadership would not have been dumping the stock.

Reactions: bkp_duke
So this thread is going to soon become one of the more important threads on the forum as folk start divesting their portfolios. I am currently at about 200% leverage through 95% LEAPS. I will deleverage and diversify in April or earlier most likely (tax reasons). I have plenty of ideas - mostly from this thread so thank you to all your contributions. They have already served me well but with small amounts - thank you again!

5% in Bitcoin is a sizeable figure for instance. To get down to ~50% TSLA, I am going to have to do something like that - probably without much homework...

Another question - does anyone want me to setup any additional threads. Keep this thread for new suggestions and another for sharing portfolio tips etc.?

Reactions: Stone_Watcher