Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
  • Informative
Reactions: bkp_duke
There was a lot of hype around one a few years ago but I don't think much came of it. Beacon Power maybe?
Google edit: Beacon Power’s Bankruptcy Autopsy
Full Page Reload
Beacon Power
@JRP3
used to own Beacon power years ago. BCON i thing was ticker symbol.
the deal was drop 25kW of Omega squared Radius into a mag lev vertical cylinder with a very high vacuum as _base_ level, then spin up and down to 50kW so you could pull 25kW per cylinder
have a whole bunch of these in an array to you could draw down/speed up

I recall a news report about explosion at factory not long before the end.

there _used_ to be stories about powering vehicles with these, conveniently forgetting gyroscopic precession as you _tried_ to go around corners when a combo of hilarity and terror would ensue, depending.

there was a video of an apollo mission attempting to repair a sattelite where an astronaut grabbed it. and it "tumbled"
(think of a giant foucault pendulum)

additionally, my spouse worked at a biochem lab.
the ultra centrifuges used titanium centrifuge heads.and were kept in the 'fuge" room and were roughly the size of a bowling ball with a flat bottom
one centrifuge head exploded (microcracks internally)(all titanium heads have a life span) at somewhere over 50,000 rpm and under 70,000rpm, the _refrigerator_ sized centrifuge "slam danced" for around 20 minutes, bleeding off the energy
additionally, I took a centrifuge out of service where the trunions had the metal "flow" to oblong shape from round due to overspeeding and too large loads

omega squared times radius. double speed = 4x the gravities.

Flywheel energy storage sounds more explosive than battery energy storage. Batteries burn but a giant near supersonic (at the rim, even in the near vacuum I'd assume these would need) spinning mass? It's great when everything is running perfect until it seizes. I'm sure the engineering issues can be solved but it sure doesn't seem easy.

I saw this interesting analysis on sudden searches for CCIV in Saudi Arabia before the news leak:

https://www.reddit.com/r/CCIV/comments/ky0kgj/cciv_google_trends_saudi_arabia_data_and_1589m/

Assuming this merger goes through, what effect do you think Tesla releasing refreshed Model S/X could have on the stock price? Say new Model S goes 500 miles with updated interior. Does that kill a lot of the Lucid buzz or not?
As long as people trust that Lucid isn't BS-ing I don't think it will matter. Not everyone wants a Tesla and the EV market is rewarding even garbage companies with huge valuations right now.

Current market cap of $CCIV is 4.75B. That would imply a > 10X increase.
That’s not how SPACs work. If CCIV merges with Lucid at an agreed-upon $20 billion valuation (I’m just picking a random number), then the original SPAC share price of $10 equates to $20 billion valuation.

The remainder of the funding to make up for the difference between the raised funds for the SPAC and the $20 billion valuation comes from PIPE deals (private investments in public equities) - basically private investors buying in to make up the funding shortfall.

So if CCIV shares trade at $25 after the merger is announced and approved, then Lucid’s valuation would be $50 billion using my example. The reason the SP is above $10 is because of speculation on the merger target and trust in the SPAC founders to fund a good target. Technically, the shares aren’t worth more than $10 since it is just cash in the bank at this point.

What's the certainty that CCIV will merge with Lucid? If it turns out that they will merge with Faraday Future that's going to turn out well :rolleyes:
Faraday is already in talks with $PSAC (and yes the stock has barely moved since the announcement).
$CCIV is too big for a tiny fish like Farady. I'd bet ~85% chance of the merger being attempted and ~80% of it going through.

Reactions: juanmedina