Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
PTRA went public June 15, 2021, down about 63% since then.

Most speculative stocks have been down this year. When the economy gets wobbly, investors head for safe bets.

There has been a lot of talk of a recession, but the state of the economy is not a recession state, unemployment in the US remains at record low levels because there is a labor shortage. One of the factors driving inflation is the labor shortage.

Two massive bills passed Congress over the last two years that will be pumping money into infrastructure, both physical things like roads and tech. The labor shortage may hinder things, but we should see a lot of growth in the tech sector when that money begins to be spent.

Solid Power, SLDP, down 30% after the CEO steps down.

Solid Power, SLDP, down 30% after the CEO steps down.
Reading between the lines, looks like they need someone at the helm who is better at both sales and raising money.

Incidentally, my long shot Canadian lithium brine producer E3 Lithium, got a $36M loan from the Canadian govt this week and it caused the stock to jump 18%. I bought a position that was 1/4 the size of my usual starting equity positions and it still took me more than a week to buy that position (stock is thinly traded!).
yeah buddy! I also bought some E3 several weeks ago. Nice to see!

Reactions: Cosmacelf
Enovix, interesting engineering of cell construction to allow high silicon loading while avoiding swelling distortion. Targeting small form factors to start.

Wow, this is way cool. You might have actually found a battery startup that doesn't suck.

Based on the videos though, it appears to not be an especially fast manufacturing process, which would translate into extra manufacturing costs versus traditional lithium ion cells. Now they have over 2x energy density, so if their manufacturing costs are 2x, then it is at least a wash, but then you have product integration benefits of being 1/2 the size of a competing cell (oh, and long life apparently).

So it isn't a surprise to me that their initial cells are small form factor meant for products which could use double energy density at even more than double the price. Like expensive cell phones or commercial/military drones.

Of course, these guys talk about EV cells, but they are years away from that. As he admits, it is the most cost competitive battery cell market there is. So they are going to have to have a third of fourth generation cell manufacturing line is my guess before they can make EV cells. I do like the fact that when/if they get there, their thermal cooling is really well optimized and set up for very fast charging speeds. I suspect the first EV cells these guys make are going to go into $250K+ vehicles first. You'll end up with a much smaller battery (and lighter weight) and much faster charging, but all at a very premium price. But again, many years away. Their last slide also talks about licensing their technology possibly for EV cells.

Reactions: UltradoomY
what I didn't like is their cell piercing demo because of their construction that way only small part of cell is shorted so it's not equal comparison
Right. Notice the guy kinda skipped a beat when he was talking about how safe it was … he did shade his comments a bit saying that in certain scenarios, it is much safer. The real test will be in many years when they have an EV sized battery and configuration…

Here's another basket recommendation. These three stocks are highly speculative biotech stocks. The most likely future return on any one of these is 0 or 5x or more. They all have great technology in the gene editing space. They all have therapies in various stages of clinical trials that 100% cure things like specific forms of cancer or genetic disease. They are all small cap stocks. I did my own research looking for companies that have published clinical results showing very high cure rates based on genetic technology and these three companies popped out.

Poseida Therapeutics (PSTX), market cap $168M
Arcellx (ACLX), market cap $938M
Allogene Therapeutics (ALLO), market cap $1.95B

Follow up after six months. Both PSTX and ACLX have blown up (up 142% and 82% from my buy points), while ALLO has cratered (down 50%).

All three companies are still buys IMHO. PSTX just got a new analyst coverage initiation yesterday with a $15 price target (130% appreciation from current price). Both PSTX and ACLX within the last 6 months partnered with large pharma companies to bring gene therapies to market. They are off to the races, with many more therapies and indications in the pipeline.

I checked to see if Cathy Wood's ARKG genomic fund was invested in any of these and the answer was no. I realized today why - these stocks probably sport too small a market cap. The smallest holding in ARKG is $200K representing 0.01% of the fund. Most holdings are $3M and higher, and even at that level a $3M holding is only 0.16% of the fund. It takes the better part of a week to buy into and out of PSTX for just $200K of stock (if you don't want to push the stock price around too much). These companies are just too small for a public ETF like ARKG that has to buy/sell fairly often.

I picked up some PSTX and ACLX last year and passed on ALLO. I guess I made the right decisions there. The market overall and the tech market specifically are in bear territory right now. It's nice to have a few up stocks.

I expect the bear will turn around when the Fed is done raising interest rates and the federal money starts flooding into the tech market.

Reactions: Cosmacelf

1:12 “full self driving car hardware cost below 5000$”.

N.B. He is talking about real full self driving.

Thanks for the link.

My god, Amnon the Mobileye CEO sure knows how to spin small progress into sounding like they own the world. You have to listen very carefully to what he actually says. Throughout, he continually says things like "eyes off" driving, which sounds great, but then he quickly slides in caveats like only on "freeway on ramp to off ramp", which is what Tesla has had for six years at least? His revenues are expected aggregate revenues over eight years, not yearly revenues, but that isn't made very clear.

Having said that, it is interesting to hear what he has to say in detail. He makes good points here and there.

There are basically only two big players in this industry right now. Tesla and Mobileye. When you drive pretty much any other car brand and you get lane departure warnings or blind spot beeps, that's Mobileye. Most of their products do simple ADAS.

Mobileye's target for freeway driving is max 80 MPH (Tesla's max is currently 88 MPH).

Mobileye requires HD maps for FSD. They are also extremely risk adverse with an eye to lawsuit protection. They add stuff, seemingly to ensure lawsuit protection rather than to actually do anything too useful (that's my take). So they recommend adding front lidar and surround radars, and eventually surround imaging radars (interesting distinction) just for redundancy when they get to FSD. Tesla has none of that, and Tesla FSD will just, presumably, stop working if a camera goes offline.

Mobileye needs 3 of their latest high performance chips for highway on ramp/off ramp. 4 chips for urban self driving.

When the hardware slides got shown (at 46m), I was surprised at how power hungry these system level boards are. The three chip board uses 275W, liquid cooled, and the 4 chip board (future product), 350W. Gone are the days I guess when Mobileye boasted about their 10W power consumption chips. It would be interesting to see what Tesla's board consume in power (only estimate I found was 72 watts from 2021, not sure how much of the entire board that included).

They continue to be way behind Tesla in getting hands free into the world. They only will have 150K cars with just highway hands free driving in 2023 (human still required to take over, so what Tesla had six years ago). They expect to have 1.2M in 2026. Their next step is to enable eyes off highway only driving where the human never has to take over, and that'll be rolled out for the first time in 2026. For that one, they have code where the car will pull over at the side of the road should anything bad happen or the human doesn't take over when requested (like when it leaves the freeway). So that means something like FSD is beyond 2026.

Both Tesla and Mobileye have their installed fleet send data back to the mothership for future training. But they do it very differently. Tesla has code running in each car such that when the car sees something it didn't expect, or a special campaign is run to gather certain data (like operating in driving rain), then high definition video is stored and sent back when the car is parked and connected to WiFi. Mobileye's OEM fleet isn't usually connected to WiFi, so they must rely on cellular, which is expensive, so they only send back compressed landmark information to make high definition maps (an HD map is just GPS along with dead reckoning for locations of things like signs, lanes, intersections). The two data gathering systems are very, very different. I honestly don't know how Mobileye trains their vision system since they don't have nearly anything as robust as Tesla's data loop by several orders of magnitude.

The presenter even denigrates Tesla's approach as saying that sending back high definition video would have increased cost so much it would have prevented gathering "at scale". Yeah, sorry, Tesla also has a well thought out system, which mitigates cost and/or spends the money to do it right.

"You cannot have an eyes off system without high definition maps". (54m in video). Ummm, Tesla (and I) disagree.

Someone upthread said Tesla vs Mobileye is like Apple IOS vs Android, or MacOS vs Windows. There are certainly some similarities. Reading between the lines, Mobileye has had trouble convincing OEMs to implement the full autonomous vision system, and if their target cost is $5,000 (that includes all hardware, sensors and Mobileye chips), I can understand why. That's a lot of cost to add to a car. No one will do it unless they are forced to for competitive reasons. Tesla's FSD isn't fully realized enough to force such adoption. Tesla highway AP is good enough to be a competitive factor, but I'm not sure enough people know about it and/or if the OEMs know their customers are leaving them because of it. There's a lot of denial in the industry.

So Tesla has an advantage over Mobileye in that their actual incremental costs per car is lower than Mobileye's $5000 (cameras are cheap and they own their own AI chips), probably even if you amortize the huge costs of Dojo and the A100 GPU clusters, the AI team, etc. Moreover, Tesla is now spreading the cost of most of that AI investment into another completely different, but no less huge market, humanoid robots. Did you know that half of the human brain is used for vision processing? Turns out that Tesla has attacked one of the hardest AI problems (vision perception) first.

Normally, Mobileye would have a cost advantage because their R&D is spread over a much large number of OEM cars and manufacturers. BUT there are costs dealing with all the heterogeneity. Every unique car, every manufacturer requires hand holding. You need a sales force to sell Mobileye versus the competition (there are other competitors out there). And you don't have systems level integration opportunities that Tesla has. And even worse for Mobileye, Tesla is increasing their vehicle base exponentially. Tesla is years ahead in installed based for both highway driving and FSD now, and I don't see their lead diminishing, if anything it'll get even bigger over time.

And you can kind of see this in the Mobileye presentation. Their simulation environment to train their AI is rudimentary compared to Tesla's. They don't have a tight feedback loop. It just looks to me that Tesla is ahead now and pulling away rapidly.

Last edited:
Encouraging that Polestar hit their growth target from last year, 80%, and are forecasting 60% for this year.

I have been invested in a company called Profound Medical (PROF) for a while now. Not sure if any of you have experience with, or have had family members deal with, prostate issues (cancer, enlargement, etc...) but they specialize in minimally invasive ultrasound based treatments as an alternative to traditional surgery or radiation. Clinical trials are ongoing to compare outcomes to surgery but early cancer control and BPH improvement results are promising and short/medium term side effects (incontinence, impotence, etc...) appear to be much better than traditional surgery.

It is pretty interesting technology. They use ultrasound waves to heat and ablate tissue from inside the urethra under the guidance of real-time MRI temperature mapping.

Some feel this may become the go-to treatment option for men with early stage cancer that are not comfortable just watching it but don't want to deal with the pitfalls of radical treatment like prostate removal or radiation. The stock is up almost 200% since November but I still think there is money to be made on this stock long term as people prioritize quality of life concerns more in dealing with prostate issues.

I have been invested in a company called Profound Medical (PROF) for a while now. Not sure if any of you have experience with, or have had family members deal with, prostate issues (cancer, enlargement, etc...) but they specialize in minimally invasive ultrasound based treatments as an alternative to traditional surgery or radiation. Clinical trials are ongoing to compare outcomes to surgery but early cancer control and BPH improvement results are promising and short/medium term side effects (incontinence, impotence, etc...) appear to be much better than traditional surgery.

It is pretty interesting technology. They use ultrasound waves to heat and ablate tissue from inside the urethra under the guidance of real-time MRI temperature mapping.

Some feel this may become the go-to treatment option for men with early stage cancer that are not comfortable just watching it but don't want to deal with the pitfalls of radical treatment like prostate removal or radiation. The stock is up almost 200% since November but I still think there is money to be made on this stock long term as people prioritize quality of life concerns more in dealing with prostate issues.

Interestingly enough my wife is a medical physicist that does MR guided HIFU treatments with that system!