Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What are her impressions of it?

"Idiotproof". People using it love it.

Less accurate then the exablate (sp?) system but much easier and faster to use.

For prostate cancer, it is acceptable to have a double digit recurrence rate because those cancers are usual slow developing. So you can just get the treatment again. So this is a plus for the system vs needing something with higher accuracy.

On the other hand, there is ultrasound guided HIFU, which is much cheaper. I (nor my wife) am not sure how much lower recurrence rates are using MR vs ultrasound for imaging.

Getting time on MRI machines is a pain and costly, so there is real benefit for the ultrasound systems. They are widespread in Europe apparently.

So she thinks there is a definite place for their system, but it will not take over most prostate treatments because the lower end ultrasound are much cheaper and still reasonably effective. If there is recurrence, they can just come in again for additional treatments.

"Idiotproof". People using it love it.

Less accurate then the exablate (sp?) system but much easier and faster to use.
Yeah it seems like you MRI the prostate, set the boundaries, and "press play" then the thing is pretty automated. That can be a good thing if it takes "user error" out of the equation I guess. The traditional HIFU ablation is more like going in and burning a bunch of little dots manually (like a raster image) so I imagine the skill of the surgeon matters a lot more.

The Tulsa Pro +/- 1.5mm seems pretty accurate but I guess maybe HIFU can be better at the boundaries. My understanding was that the other real benefit is that the MRI confirms the tissue reached a high enough temperature to ensure destruction of the tumor (basically in real time) where as other technologies can't do that... so you can go back and treat cold spots during the initial treatment and confirm that there is no blood flow to the area while still in the machine.

For prostate cancer, it is acceptable to have a double digit recurrence rate because those cancers are usual slow developing. So you can just get the treatment again. So this is a plus for the system vs needing something with higher accuracy.

On the other hand, there is ultrasound guided HIFU, which is much cheaper. I (nor my wife) am not sure how much lower recurrence rates are using MR vs ultrasound for imaging.
That seems to be the hard thing with these. It takes decades to find out how effective a treatment is at preventing metastatic disease (which is the real thing you are concerned with) because it is generally a very slow growing cancer that may or may not impact people during their lifetimes. Not to minimize it, there are very aggressive forms of prostate cancer... but in the PSA era most of the ones diagnosed seem to be early stage and not that aggressive which gives people options for managing it.

Getting time on MRI machines is a pain and costly, so there is real benefit for the ultrasound systems. They are widespread in Europe apparently.

So she thinks there is a definite place for their system, but it will not take over most prostate treatments because the lower end ultrasound are much cheaper and still reasonably effective. If there is recurrence, they can just come in again for additional treatments.
The cost does seem to be an issue. I think the treatments are in the $25k range right now but insurance is starting to cover it. I guess time will tell if Tulsa Pro lives up to the hype or ends up being just another focal treatment alongside a bunch of others. If I was older and was diagnosed with a less aggressive form of prostate cancer I would definitely consider it based on the lower side effect profile and easier recovery. It runs in my family so I am considered "higher risk" and am always hopeful there will be treatments available that don't ruin my quality of life should I get it at some point.

Reactions: ShareLofty
Just to keep myself honest, I'm reviewing my September picks. Small caps have done well, tech not so much. S&P returned 7.5% in this period. In addition to the below, I'm also looking at some beat up consumer names like VFC.

GOOGL - still like, but as part of tech its still getting beat up (down 7.0%)
BX/KKR - best in breed alt firms, holding KKR, have traded BZ (KKR up 19%)
EPD - midstream co w/ 7.5% yield plus 5%+ FCF growth, (up 8.3%)
TMO - life sciences play, decent growth, strong mgmt team (up 11.9%)
MSFT - platform moat, sub-20 P/E, still part of out of favor tech (down 0.9%)
PERI - small cap adtech co growing like crazy (up 47.9%)
BLDR - central stop for building materials (up 27.0%)

Just to keep myself honest, I'm reviewing my September picks. Small caps have done well, tech not so much. S&P returned 7.5% in this period. In addition to the below, I'm also looking at some beat up consumer names like VFC.

GOOGL - still like, but as part of tech its still getting beat up (down 7.0%)
BX/KKR - best in breed alt firms, holding KKR, have traded BZ (KKR up 19%)
EPD - midstream co w/ 7.5% yield plus 5%+ FCF growth, (up 8.3%)
TMO - life sciences play, decent growth, strong mgmt team (up 11.9%)
MSFT - platform moat, sub-20 P/E, still part of out of favor tech (down 0.9%)
PERI - small cap adtech co growing like crazy (up 47.9%)
BLDR - central stop for building materials (up 27.0%)
You are suppose to tell us these picks when you buy them…

Anyone invest or think about investing in electric plane companies? Think there could be a few first-advantage players out there or are the batteries just too small right now and the time to invest will be in 5-10 years?
We have a thread discussing various planes, general consensus is batteries aren't good enough for anything more than short flights and won't be for a while. Electric planes

• Helpful
Reactions: ggr and ggies07
Anyone invest or think about investing in electric plane companies? Think there could be a few first-advantage players out there or are the batteries just too small right now and the time to invest will be in 5-10 years?
Seems like a small market right now, so not sure how long an investment would need to pan out. Low cost batteries will go to the biggest and best use market which for now is automotive.

We have a thread discussing various planes, general consensus is batteries aren't good enough for anything more than short flights and won't be for a while. Electric planes
Thanks! Will check it out.
Seems like a small market right now, so not sure how long an investment would need to pan out. Low cost batteries will go to the biggest and best use market which for now is automotive.

Yeah, that's my thought as well, just wondered if one of the startups starts to make ground and becomes popular, then it could be worthwhile.

The technologies for ground transport have been worked out. It's all a matter of scaling at this point. A big job, but the technological hurdles are mostly cleared.

With aircraft there is no tech on the shelf for anything useful. Batteries are bulky and heavy which rule them out for anything serious (revenue generating or military). As long as electric aircraft are using batteries they will be short range with poor payloads. Other than hobbyist aircraft I don't see any of the existing technologies for electric aircraft being much of anything.

What do you think about Luminar?

You can now order Polestar 3 with Luminair Iris Lidar and NVIDIA DRIVE Orin.

Of course Musk says that you don't need Lidar for autonomous car, but the vast majority of other players think that you need,

If you buy both Tsla and lidar manufacturer, you will always be on the winning side :p

• Funny
Reactions: ggies07
I posted about Spotify here (will add link in a minute). Love Spotify. Bought at $100.90. Started selling at $122 this week. Had a good run. Still a long term believer but taking some profits as I think (wrongly I’m sure that market will be done this month). Less than 50M shares outstanding and much more make this co. a terrific buy - at the right price. $100 range I will buy much more than I did last time.

• Informative
Reactions: UltradoomY
Anyone knows a MSFT investor forum as good as here? I want to know about the business potential about the ChatGPT.
Don't know about the forum. Microsoft is well positioned to do well with ChatGPT and other AI tools. They are already well embedded in the business market and their AI tools will give them more stickiness power. It isn't a guarantee that MS will be profitable with this or make the right decisions going forward, but they are well positioned to do so.

Don't know about the forum. Microsoft is well positioned to do well with ChatGPT and other AI tools. They are already well embedded in the business market and their AI tools will give them more stickiness power. It isn't a guarantee that MS will be profitable with this or make the right decisions going forward, but they are well positioned to do so.

Actually Microsoft is KILLING Google - it ALREADY has established a chat feature (limited release tho for now ) that took Google totally by surprise ( wit hthe Open AI deal) - forcing Google to lower its prices on its cloud offerings, which are subsidized by the search profits (no longer "do no bad stuff" original position of Google ).
So making Microsoft's own cloud services more competitive ;)

I'm a bit short on time, will expand later.