Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pz1975, if it's not too much to ask, how did you buy LT shares in private market? Is there a chance to get them now?
I agree with your view on the company and it's prospects. I think the same way.

I bought them through Sharespost. They buy and sell private company shares for lots of companies. I recently tried to buy more Lending Club and missed out by a number of hours (someone wired funds faster than me). I doubt there will be anymore now, and especially since they have officially announced the IPO. I am leaving my funds there in case more show up or if Prosper shares become available.

PM me if you want my contact person's info at Sharespost.

Made a post a while ago in this thread talking about Yahoo going into Alibaba but got no response, as we are getting close are there really no interest in the stock here? Looks like a nobrainer to me as the downside seems insignificant at current levels with a large shortterm upside if Alibaba lands a high valuation which everyone seems to think is likely, myself included when I look at the business compared to companies like Amazon/Ebay and Tencent, its the perfect option play.

Made a post a while ago in this thread talking about Yahoo going into Alibaba but got no response, as we are getting close are there really no interest in the stock here? Looks like a nobrainer to me as the downside seems insignificant at current levels with a large shortterm upside if Alibaba lands a high valuation which everyone seems to think is likely, myself included when I look at the business compared to companies like Amazon/Ebay and Tencent, its the perfect option play.

My play: I have bought many Yahoo Jan 15 calls..they are 'cheap' (relatively) in my opinion. Bougth them three weeks ago and they are up 25%. I will watch the Alibaba IPO carefully. My guess is it will be very frothy and if I invest it will be a small amount.

I do like the 'back door' investment in Alibaba thru Yahoo though.

Bought in around a month ago too, went for some more aggresive Sep and Oct calls with strikes from $34-$38. I too think their IPO will go very well, Alibaba has both more profit and higher revenue than Amazon and Ebay combined, and a much higher growth rate too, adding Ebay and Amazon's market cap together gives you $224B. Alibaba has been growing at around 45-50% QoQ in the last few quarters, I believe they earned $3,7B in net profit last year, at a 40% profit growth this year they would earn $5,18B, with that growth rate and no sign of significant slowdown as e commerce is still only in its fairly early stage in China with the economy still booming I don't think a P/E of 40-50 on this years earnings is far fetched, or $207-$259B. Don't know if I am going to pick up BABA shares after the IPO, maybe, but the real potential is playing YHOO right now imo. Just found this link today FinancialSpreads Alibaba IPO Grey Market Spikes 10% Higher - PR.com didn't know this so called grey market existed, anyone know anything about the volume on this, or how good of an indicator it have been in the past? Seems pretty bullish, don't know why anyone would bet on Alibaba IPOing at $220B instead of putting that money in YHOO though.

If you are not familiar with Alibaba or the general e commerce landscape in China this article provides a decent overview A must-read look at Alibaba Group Holdings upcoming IPO - Market Realist

Last edited:
GPRO was up 10-11% today. I sold off most of my options for 200-300% gains which is nice. I still hold one Jan 15 option and some Jan 16 leaps. I can't believe how well GPRO has done in the last few weeks. It almost seems like a cult stock. Because I don't know what they will be worth or what they will become but like TSLA, I want to be apart of it. Maybe that's a bad way to invest in company's but it's worked for me so far.

Another thing is that I think a lot of GoPro customers invest in GPRO, kinda like TSLA. GoPro has 1.1 million followers on Twitter compared to Tesla with 337.5K. So I think they have a huge fan base that also invests in the company for the long term.

Last edited:
GPRO was up 10-11% today. I sold off most of my options for 200-300% gains which is nice. I still hold one Jan 15 option and some Jan 16 leaps. I can't believe how well GPRO has done in the last few weeks. It almost seems like a cult stock. Because I don't know what they will be worth or what they will become but like TSLA, I want to be apart of it. Maybe that's a bad way to invest in company's but it's worked for me so far.

Another thing is that I think a lot of GoPro customers invest in GPRO, kinda like TSLA. GoPro has 1.1 million followers on Twitter compared to Tesla with 337.5K. So I think they have a huge fan base that also invests in the company for the long term.

I'm still holding my gopro shares purchased the day of their IPO with no plans of selling. I believe it will hit $100 per share once the new media sales channel kicks in.

I'm still holding my gopro shares purchased the day of their IPO with no plans of selling. I believe it will hit $100 per share once the new media sales channel kicks in.

Yeah nice job keeping your shares. I could see hitting $100 also with the GoPro channel. I'm wondering if they're working on a deal with Apple to have a channel on the Apple TV. RedBull has a Apple TV channel and it is pretty much a GoPro channel because everyone is wearing one and it is mosty shot with GoPros. I think both Apple and GoPro would benefit from that because Apple needs more channels on there TV and they are adding to it. CNBC has a channel on Apple TV now and they have other news channels as well. A GoPro channel would be a perfect addition to the Apple TV channel line up.

Last edited:
Since my last update (Aug 26, #660) we have increased our GTAT position, so that it is #2 after TSLA. As Sleepy writes in the SA article mentioned above, tomorrow - 9 September - should be a truly pivotal day in the fortunes of GTAT, and of those who own this stock.

I also added position for GTAT, but not much less than 10% of my entire holdings. I still see the risks of how much iphone 6 get involved with Saphire screen even I do appreciate Sleepy's hard research work. Would that be a good idea of adding more shares/leaps once Apple confirmed tomorrow? I know I might be end up with paying 10% or even 20% premium, but it's more like a sure play instead of "speculation".

I also added position for GTAT, but not much less than 10% of my entire holdings. I still see the risks of how much iphone 6 get involved with Saphire screen even I do appreciate Sleepy's hard research work. Would that be a good idea of adding more shares/leaps once Apple confirmed tomorrow? I know I might be end up with paying 10% or even 20% premium, but it's more like a sure play instead of "speculation".

Since the short interest is so high (over 40% of float) you still may have a chance as if all goes very well: Sapphire screens of 4.7 and 5.5 iPhones along with iwatch: because it would result in short squeeze encompassing a couple days. The research done by what I will call 'Sleepy's group' is astounding. Even without the 'best case scenario' today it looks to be a good long term hold.

Since the short interest is so high (over 40% of float) you still may have a chance as if all goes very well: Sapphire screens of 4.7 and 5.5 iPhones along with iwatch: because it would result in short squeeze encompassing a couple days. The research done by what I will call 'Sleepy's group' is astounding. Even without the 'best case scenario' today it looks to be a good long term hold.

I have some gtat, however I plan on watching the keynote with an order ready to send if they mention gtat or saphire.

I have some gtat, however I plan on watching the keynote with an order ready to send if they mention gtat or saphire.
Thought a lot about gtat, my GUESS is that it's a used in wearable but suspect price and margin would keep out of most of phone market.

- - - Updated - - -

My play: I have bought many Yahoo Jan 15 calls..they are 'cheap' (relatively) in my opinion. Bougth them three weeks ago and they are up 25%. I will watch the Alibaba IPO carefully. My guess is it will be very frothy and if I invest it will be a small amount.

I do like the 'back door' investment in Alibaba thru Yahoo though.
I want to thank those that mentioned it was already considering and bought options on open yesterday with road show starting. Short term trade probably out within days of debut

Thought a lot about gtat, my GUESS is that it's a used in wearable but suspect price and margin would keep out of most of phone market.

- - - Updated - - -

I want to thank those that mentioned it was already considering and bought options on open yesterday with road show starting. Short term trade probably out within days of debut

Chicken: Actually, even with an increase in screen price of Sapphire from GTAT versus current GG from Corning the Savings to Apple will be HUGE. Reason: Warranty repair for glass cracks is very expensive for Apple. This decrease in warranty costs will far offset the cost of sapphire. I do not know if any of the 6s will have sapphire but I am willing to bet at least some of them will. There is a large white secret temporary structure set up for the event....Could just be a big mock up of the iWatch. Could also be a pool to show water resistance and a tall ladder to drop the sapphire protected phone from! Obviously all speculation.

Chicken: Actually, even with an increase in screen price of Sapphire from GTAT versus current GG from Corning the Savings to Apple will be HUGE. Reason: Warranty repair for glass cracks is very expensive for Apple. This decrease in warranty costs will far offset the cost of sapphire. I do not know if any of the 6s will have sapphire but I am willing to bet at least some of them will. There is a large white secret temporary structure set up for the event....Could just be a big mock up of the iWatch. Could also be a pool to show water resistance and a tall ladder to drop the sapphire protected phone from! Obviously all speculation.
cNBC had chairman of corning on. i wasn't aware that corning also makes saphire. he wouldnt speculate on what apple was doing since they never leak information on what their clients are doing.....does that mean apple still client? i dont know but today will be interesting.

also discussed scratch resistance of saphire but more brittle and likely to break than gorilla. also gorilla lets more light through so less energy used saving battery life