Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ah, no and no.
Not GRPN - we neither shorted it at the IPO nor followed it much thereafter. I reiterate that I dislike its business model, in that my experience with Groupon is that it attracts bottom feeders and pond scum.

And...what I had said we would sell I've held off on pulling the trigger, in that said company had a press release suggesting they will be exiting/divesting/spinning off the portion of the company that concerns me. So as I've not sold it yet, nor completely made up my mind about what to do, I've not revealed its name.

Not that what this Bush Rat does or doesn't do is going to move the markets!

I sold half of my GPRO shares bought on the day of their IPO today. 143% gain in 3 months.

I had a valuation target of $10-Billion which I believed they would achieve after their network began generating revenues. Today it exceeded $9-Billion much earlier than I expected and decided to exit on half of my position.

I sold half of my GPRO shares bought on the day of their IPO today. 143% gain in 3 months.

I had a valuation target of $10-Billion which I believed they would achieve after their network began generating revenues. Today it exceeded $9-Billion much earlier than I expected and decided to exit on half of my position.
Nicely done. I sold WAY too soon. Thought I was smart picketing 40% rise from IPO till time I sold. I still don't get the almost 200% rise but I have profited from short term calls this last week.

i put more long term money into MBLY. While it has done well it is not nearly the return if GPRO!

Nicely done. I sold WAY too soon. Thought I was smart picketing 40% rise from IPO till time I sold. I still don't get the almost 200% rise but I have profited from short term calls this last week.

i put more long term money into MBLY. While it has done well it is not nearly the return if GPRO!
And GPRO is at it again. I sold all my short term calls way to early. I still have all my leaps that look really good but I was hoping to accumulate more shares before the price got this high.

On GPRO, how is a company that makes a cheap product with terrible risk of being commoditized like the rest of the electronics industry worth so much? I have spent zero time researching the company, honestly asking.

On GPRO, how is a company that makes a cheap product with terrible risk of being commoditized like the rest of the electronics industry worth so much? I have spent zero time researching the company, honestly asking.

You are not the only one. I made money with GPRO IPO and with a couple short term calls BUT I don't get it long term. FLUX, you and I could probably start a company to compete with GPRO. :wink: Oh well, I am happy for all of you who have stock and LEAPS......!!!

They seem to make a superior product that people are willing to pay more for. They are pretty much the generic name for wearable action cameras as well like Kleenex. Today they came out with a $500 4k 30fps/1080p 120fps model which I am guessing will sell like hot cakes. Also they came out with a $130 base model which kills the recent announcements of the Polaroid and HTC action cameras.

Now a 8% jump based on product announcements seems like counting your chickens before they hatch.

Last edited:
I just had my first child and before the birth I asked the doctor if I could have my GoPro on my head and film the whole thing. She said oh yeah, a lot of dads have been using the GoPro to film the birth. So they are the brand to have for wearable cameras. They keep improving their app and products. I'm not sure how the media brand thing is going to work but they do have something special going on. But like others I don't get how the stock price is so high at this point.

I just had my first child and before the birth I asked the doctor if I could have my GoPro on my head and film the whole thing. She said oh yeah, a lot of dads have been using the GoPro to film the birth. So they are the brand to have for wearable cameras. They keep improving their app and products. I'm not sure how the media brand thing is going to work but they do have something special going on. But like others I don't get how the stock price is so high at this point.

Yes....And over on the GPRO forum they are probably wondering why we all don't 'get it'! :)

Yes....And over on the GPRO forum they are probably wondering why we all don't 'get it'! :)

I always hated the size and awkwardness of the gopro cameras. I picked up a 130$ helmet camera 3 years ago, shock proof, water proof 30fps and more streamlined. but I guess people like the bulky gopro setup? they are better now but still a strange form factor imo

maybe if I played with one some I would like it? the software might be neat

I always hated the size and awkwardness of the gopro cameras. I picked up a 130$ helmet camera 3 years ago, shock proof, water proof 30fps and more streamlined. but I guess people like the bulky gopro setup? they are better now but still a strange form factor imo

one day day there should be a merging of wearable camera technology by GPRO and GOOG Glass...I would imagine it eventually being on cool glasses or sun glasses or contact lenses and the video would be stored in the cloud as you go through life or perhaps just moments of life you want captured in the cloud.

but how far away are we from this and who will get there first? That is the question.

I agree the square shape doesn't seem as streamlined as the cylinder shape. But no one seems to mind. I think it would be hard to add an lcd screen to a cylinder shape camera. And to make it truly user friendly (which is GoPros main goal). They need an lcd screen on the back. The current GoPros have an add on lcd screen but I think the new ones will have it built in.

GPro has been quite an amazing ride. As a bull it has surpassed even my expectations. Still holding half my shares from IPO day and wondering how far it can run.

GPro has been quite an amazing ride. As a bull it has surpassed even my expectations. Still holding half my shares from IPO day and wondering how far it can run.
Nice job! I am kinda bummed I sold all my calls that expired next month but I made a good profit and I still have all my leaps and I'm just gonna keep those until 1 week from expiration. Let's see how far it can go! And if it does crash back down I'll buy some more.

GPRO had another up day when most Memo's stocks were down. GoPro CEO was asks if he was concerned about the high stock price and he responed pretty good:

WOODMAN: NO IT DOESN'T CONCERN ME. I MEAN, LOOK, STOCK PRICES WILL GO UP, STOCK PRICES WILL GO DOWN. WE CAN'T CONTROL THAT. IT'S IMPORTANT TO TAKE A LONG TERM VIEW ON THIS. AND AS CEO OF GOPRO, I'M COMFORTED BY THE FACT THAT WE HAVE A VERY BIG LONG TERM VISION FOR THE BUSINESS AND AT THE END OF THE DAY, AS LONG AS WE CONTINUE TO EXECUTE ON OUR VISION, EVERYTHING WILL BE OKAY. AND THAT'S REALLY EVERYBODY'S FOCUS AT GOPRO IS THINK LONG TERM. AND FRANKLY, I THINK THAT IN TERMS OF STOCK PRICE, THERE IS A LOT OF PEOPLE THAT BELIEVE IN WHAT WE'RE WORKING ON AT GOPRO, THEY BELIEVE IN THE OVERALL SIZE OF THE OPPORTUNITY AND WE'RE EXCITED TO WORK EXTREMELY HARD AND PASSIONATELY TO REALIZE THAT EXPECTATION.
Sorry for all caps. I did a copy and paste.

I agree the square shape doesn't seem as streamlined as the cylinder shape. But no one seems to mind. I think it would be hard to add an lcd screen to a cylinder shape camera. And to make it truly user friendly (which is GoPros main goal). They need an lcd screen on the back. The current GoPros have an add on lcd screen but I think the new ones will have it built in.

I hate the shape and would have considered one a few years ago if it was different
why not bluetooth or wifi connectivity to your smartphone? no need for the bulky lcd stuck to the camera. make the cam streamlined and tiny
at least now I'd expect that, right?

ok, question - how is the valuation of a company like gopro or mobile eye compared to Tesla seen as reasonable (~11B each )? or are people 'complaining' about the market cap of these companies being too high? they are 'close' to Tesla. is it mainly because they have been around for years and sell much higher volume of product?

What other cool tech stock to consider?

ok, question - how is the valuation of a company like gopro or mobile eye compared to Tesla seen as reasonable (~11B each )? or are people 'complaining' about the market cap of these companies being too high? they are 'close' to Tesla. is it mainly because they have been around for years and sell much higher volume of product?

My guess is that the long term value of Tesla is less obvious to most people than GoPro or Mobile Eye. Many people can see the benefits of a durable mountable camera for sports videography, and even see the benefits of automated cars. The mental jump from ICE to BEV can be much more difficult because it involves a shift away from the fuel station paradigm and requires comprehension of new benefits and costs.

Last edited: