Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What Paint Color Should I Get?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

tps5352

Supporting Member
From the Tesla website:
Tesla 2020 Paint Colors

For experienced Model X drivers (and others). This would be in the Central Valley of California--hot (90-105 F) dry summers, cool wet winters (no snow; very little ice these days--with climate change).

I am thinking:
  1. White (to save money and to keep slightly cooler in the summer).
  2. Blue (because I like it, but $1,500!).
  3. Red (because it is really pretty; but $2,500!!).
But doesn't red (in any car) tend to age more quickly and sometimes fail (due to absorption of damaging light wavelengths)? And blue or gray; hard for other drivers to see? (Plus having to avoid certain Civil War states.)

I tend not to be a gray or black car kind of guy; but for the right reasons I could perhaps be convinced...? Isn't black the hardest to keep clean? Shows imperfections the most?

Which color do you think is safest? White? Red?

Which is most popular/best for resale value?

Any particular reasons you choose one color over another (e.g., safety, durability, visibility, avoidance of attention by law enforcement, etc.).

Thanks for your insights about paint colors.

Last edited:
White cars are much cooler (temperature) than black cars in the California sun. We're talking 130 degrees in the interior of a black car compared to 113 degrees Fahrenheit for the white car. Tested below, link;

Autotrader - page unavailable

White is a neutral color for cars that really shows off their lines, and I think looks especially good with black wheels. With black, the lines disappear more but clean black cars look great too. For my artist's eye, I don't get tired of white cars and the bodywork does the talking.

Black cars show dirt and scratches more easily than white, and require more care and attention to keep them looking sharp.

Resale. For the reasons stated above, your resale might be better with a white car. It's less of a 'specific' color choice so arguably more people would buy one.

• Helpful
Reactions: tps5352
White cars are much cooler...

Good thinking (to all that). I like the red and blue colors, but the added costs (of red and blue) and the thermal advantage of the less expensive white point to that color choice. (Is "white" actually a color? It is all visible wave-lengths, so all colors, right?)

Funny how in 1909 it was any color as long as you want black (Ford Model T). In some cases, with recent cars, we seem to be de-evolving back towards that original, cost-cutting single-color auto manufacturing philosophy. (While "wrapping" serves the needs of creativity and individuality, I guess.)

Last edited:
Reactions: Spacep0d
Good thinking (to all that). I like the red and blue colors, but the added costs (of red and blue) and the thermal advantage of the less expensive white point to that color choice. (Is "white" actually a color? It is all visible wave-lengths, so all colors, right?)

Funny how in 1909 it was any color as long as you want black (Ford Model T). In some cases, with recent cars, we seem to be de-evolving back towards that original, cost-cutting single-color auto manufacturing philosophy. (While "wrapping" serves the needs of creativity and individuality, I guess.)

Good point, white is now the default so you save at least $1000, depending on the non-white color chosen. I forget my light theory sometimes, but I think it's because of the color reflecting all of the wavelengths of light (cooler temps) instead of absorbing them (black, thus hotter) or filtering in some way to appear blue, red, green, etc.

My opinion:
  1. White (to save money and to keep slightly cooler in the summer).
  2. Blue (looks good, but $1,500!).
  3. Red (looks better, but $2,500!!).
:)

The red is gorgeous, but man it's so much more money and I'd personally worry that I would tire of it. I don't see as many red Model 3s though. I see tons of white ones but that's still my favorite color for any vehicle.

Seems like a lot of white out there. I chose blue and love it. The only other color that tempts me is red (parents have that one) and it still looks great! I would not worry about fading with it.

I have a blue MX now. I love it. I regret getting my previous car (BRZ) in black because it hides the body lines like someone mentioned above. I think my next one might be a white MY.

However, there's an argument for getting the most "unique" color choice available. It feels like every car on the road is white these days. The Tesla multi-coat red is probably the most novel color in the group and would stand out the most. Choose based on your own aesthetic not based on resale value.