Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What part(s) of your Model 3 are unpainted from the factory?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

voip-ninja

Give me some sugar baby
Mar 15, 2012
Colorado
I've had my Model 3 now for about 3 1/2 weeks. I was pretty careful to inspect the car at pickup for any glaring cosmetic defects but did not observe any.

Getting into the car yesterday the lighting was just right and I observed with the driver's side door opened that part of the car's body is not painted in the area forward of the door where the hinges are that you only see when the door is open. Pretty large area too.

Is this area unpainted on other owners cars?

Cosmetically it doesn't really matter to me, but I can't recall owning another car where this area wasn't finished. I can see what I assume is bare metal and my only concern is whether corrosion becomes a problem if I keep the car long enough.

When I add this to the other minor annoyances with the car it seems less and less likely that I will keep this car "long term" but I guess we'll see. I'm really hesitating now on blowing a couple thousand bucks on PPF and ceramic coating it if I won't be keeping it for more than a few years.

I've had my Model 3 now for about 3 1/2 weeks. I was pretty careful to inspect the car at pickup for any glaring cosmetic defects but did not observe any.

Getting into the car yesterday the lighting was just right and I observed with the driver's side door opened that part of the car's body is not painted in the area forward of the door where the hinges are that you only see when the door is open. Pretty large area too.

Cosmetically it doesn't really matter to me, but I can't recall owning another car where this area wasn't finished. I can see what I assume is bare metal and my only concern is whether corrosion becomes a problem if I keep the car long enough.

When I add this to the other minor annoyances with the car it seems less and less likely that I will keep this car "long term" but I guess we'll see. I'm really hesitating now on blowing a couple thousand bucks on PPF and ceramic coating it if I won't be keeping it for more than a few years.

get a $5 can of spray paint - flat black? or gloss (you can then wax in a few weeks)? or color your choice
mask off - tape and new paper to protect EVERYTHING from spraying
the out-side of the door (that is what the newspaper is for mask where the paint line exists.
windex window cleaner to make sure no oil deposits - very light sanding just to make sure ~220 grit should be fine - by single sheet you'll now have a lifetime supply.
IF you have never used spray paint before ask kids or friends for a little help. Not hard.
have clean rag (cotton towel) for any emergency clean up - windex again - did some spray get on the window??

get a $5 can of spray paint - flat black? or gloss? or your choice
the out-side of the door (that is what the newspaper is for mask where the paint line exists.
windex window cleaner to make sure no oil deposits - very light sanding just to make sure ~220 grit should be fine - by single sheet you'll now have a lifetime supply.
IF you have never used spray paint before ask kids or friends for a little help. Not hard.
have clean rag (cotton towel) for any emergency clean up - windex again - did some spray get on the window??

What you are suggesting is absurd considering I spent over $60,000, the most I have ever spent on a new automobile....

The only thing more absurd would be letting Tesla "fix" it, if they even would agree to.... there are too many stories on this forum of people getting their cars back days or weeks later from the body shop worse than when they went in.

I'll live with it, but I am curious if it's an oversight from the factory or just typical for this vehicle.

Under the right light? I won't even bother getting it done since it's the inner piece that no one sees. Not worth he hassle and hassle of them screwing up the actual door that people do see.

Save your money even if the car is perfect. The depreciation isn't worth it. Save it and get another testa in 5 to 6 years. Why bubble wrap it?! You still save getting another tesla from the cost you paying for PPF and ceramic coating.

I have that unpainted section, and will also raise you a half-painted lower bumper and b-pillar. Pics? Fine.

Attachments

• IMG_7285.JPG
    IMG_7285.JPG
    262.1 KB · Views: 384
  • IMG_2607.JPG
    IMG_2607.JPG
    320.9 KB · Views: 353
  • IMG_8381.JPG
    IMG_8381.JPG
    255.5 KB · Views: 359
get a $5 can of spray paint - flat black? or gloss (you can then wax in a few weeks)? or color your choice

Dumbest idea ever ... you win the Oscar :rolleyes:

Mine is that way too and so was EVERY single car I looked at while I was waiting for my delivery. It must be the robot programming, it probably just misses that area. It's primed, sure, and hopefully clear-coated.

I pointed that out to my service center and they made up some bull*sugar* excuse; they must have thought this was the first time I opened a car door. I have not pushed this yet, I'll be getting feedback from a body shop regarding this and, depending on how they solve my other issues, I may let this one slide if it's deemed safe.

Reactions: voip-ninja
Mine is that way too and so was EVERY single car I looked at while I was waiting for my delivery. It must be the robot programming, it probably just misses that area. It's primed, sure, and hopefully clear-coated.

I pointed that out to my service center and they made up some bull*sugar* excuse; they must have thought this was the first time I opened a car door. I have not pushed this yet, I'll be getting feedback from a body shop regarding this and, depending on how they solve my other issues, I may let this one slide if it's deemed safe.

Definitely not clear coated.