TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

What percentage of Semi drivers will buy a Tesla Car for themselves?

Discussion in 'Semi' started by gavine, Dec 20, 2017.

?

What percentage of Semi drivers will buy a Tesla for themselves?

1. 0 - 15%

11 vote(s)
    55.0%
  2. 16% - 30%

6 vote(s)
    30.0%
  3. 31% - 45%

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
  4. 46% - 60%

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
  5. 61% - 75%

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
  6. More than 75%

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. gavine

gavine Petrol Head turned EV Enthusiast

I'm wondering what the community thinks about this. My thought is that these semi drivers will be so impressed with the performance, that they will become very interested in EV's and want to buy one for themselves.

As a side note, I predict that drivers will fight-over who gets to drive the semi. Between the power, comfort and autopilot, I'm sure there will be some contention. It might even force management to push for more semis just to appease the drivers.

Lastly, having Tesla Semis in the fleet might even attract drivers to work there. I know if I were a truck driver, I would rather work where they have Tesla Semis.

2. Leopold Stotch

3. gavine

Ha ha. You didn’t vote (“More than 75%” has zero votes)

4. EinSV

EinSV Active Member

I think the answer depends on what Tesla vehicles are available. Once the Tesla Pickup is on the market (regular pickup, not the behemoth that can schlep around an ordinary pickup in its bed), I could see a significant number of drivers wanting one at home. I think the Pickup is going to be a beast, just like its daddy the Tesla Semi.

• Like x 1
  5. mberta74

mberta74 Supporting Member

Less than 15% of total drivers on the road are owner/operators... So fleets will be the most likely group to purchase trucks...

6. gavine

Maybe I wasn't clear in my poll question. I meant what percentage will buy a Tesla CAR after driving the semi. I don't expect the truck drivers to buy Tesla Semis for themselves.

7. Xenoilphobe

Xenoilphobe Active Member

None, there won't be semi drivers in ten years.

• Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  8. wayner

wayner Active Member

For the remaining couple of years that humans actually drive trucks.

• Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  9. Ulmo

Ulmo Active Member

When I drove trucks, I could never afford a car. It's a fair question, though. I would like to know more, first: what is the price of a used Model 3, used Model S, used Model X, or a Model Y at the time? Will the Tesla Pickup come out before people stop driving Tesla Semi? There are a lot of unknowns.

By then, a used base Model 3 would probably be less than its new price; possibly one could be had around $25K-$30K? A used car lot salesman could arrange financing. But that's a lot of money for a car. I think used Model S will always have a bottom price around the same as the bottom price for a used Model 3.

• Like x 1
  10. Brando

Brando Active Member

The trucking companies, warehouses and private sector in the U.S. employs an estimated 8.9 million people employed in trucking-related jobs; nearly 3.5 million were truck drivers. Of this figure UPS employs 60,000 workers and 9% are owner operators. LTL shippers account for around 13.6 percent of America's trucking ... see below link

Trucking Statistics - Truckinfo.net

• Helpful x 1
  11. TaoJones

TaoJones Beyond Driven

You could flip the question. If there's a niche market for Tesla Semi RVs (modified 53' trailers, for example), I could see some Model S/X owners taking a shot at a Semi RV and then toading an S.

Tiny numbers, maybe, but there's room in the RV market for some disruption with the possibility of lower running costs... Diesels and RVs in general can be a pain. Re-engineer a self-contained trailer with off-grid and durable equipment, and people would be interested.

• Like x 2
  12. Brando

Brando Active Member

Performers Buses - you know, Rock and Roll bands, etc.. How about fancy 5th wheel trailer and a Tesla SEMI??
    Sports Team Buses - does anyone still do that??
    All business right-off.
    Which performer will be the first to get Founder SEMI? good PR (and free press) and save on gas. Who will think of it first??

13. gavine

You already did think of it first.

14. Brando

Brando Active Member

OK, who will do it first.

Ideas are the easiest part. Successful execution is the hard part.
    [but thanks for the recognition ;-) ]

• Funny x 1
  15. mberta74

mberta74 Supporting Member

Sorry I missed that question, the guys I know that are owner operators, do not own a car themselves, they have a friend or spouses car to use...so from an owner operator standpoint there would be very few.... The fleet guys, are a different question, I will try to get the answer from one of the corporate guys at UPS

• Like x 1