Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What percentage of Semi drivers will buy a Tesla Car for themselves?

What percentage of Semi drivers will buy a Tesla for themselves?

• 0 - 15%

Votes: 11 55.0%
  • 16% - 30%

Votes: 6 30.0%
  • 31% - 45%

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • 46% - 60%

• 61% - 75%

• More than 75%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

gavine

Petrol Head turned EV Enthusiast
Apr 1, 2014
Philadelphia, PA
I'm wondering what the community thinks about this. My thought is that these semi drivers will be so impressed with the performance, that they will become very interested in EV's and want to buy one for themselves.

As a side note, I predict that drivers will fight-over who gets to drive the semi. Between the power, comfort and autopilot, I'm sure there will be some contention. It might even force management to push for more semis just to appease the drivers.

Lastly, having Tesla Semis in the fleet might even attract drivers to work there. I know if I were a truck driver, I would rather work where they have Tesla Semis.

I think the answer depends on what Tesla vehicles are available. Once the Tesla Pickup is on the market (regular pickup, not the behemoth that can schlep around an ordinary pickup in its bed), I could see a significant number of drivers wanting one at home. I think the Pickup is going to be a beast, just like its daddy the Tesla Semi.

Reactions: gavine
When I drove trucks, I could never afford a car. It's a fair question, though. I would like to know more, first: what is the price of a used Model 3, used Model S, used Model X, or a Model Y at the time? Will the Tesla Pickup come out before people stop driving Tesla Semi? There are a lot of unknowns.

By then, a used base Model 3 would probably be less than its new price; possibly one could be had around $25K-$30K? A used car lot salesman could arrange financing. But that's a lot of money for a car. I think used Model S will always have a bottom price around the same as the bottom price for a used Model 3.

Reactions: Brando
You could flip the question. If there's a niche market for Tesla Semi RVs (modified 53' trailers, for example), I could see some Model S/X owners taking a shot at a Semi RV and then toading an S.

Tiny numbers, maybe, but there's room in the RV market for some disruption with the possibility of lower running costs... Diesels and RVs in general can be a pain. Re-engineer a self-contained trailer with off-grid and durable equipment, and people would be interested.

Performers Buses - you know, Rock and Roll bands, etc.. How about fancy 5th wheel trailer and a Tesla SEMI??
Sports Team Buses - does anyone still do that??
All business right-off.
Which performer will be the first to get Founder SEMI? good PR (and free press) and save on gas. Who will think of it first??

Maybe I wasn't clear in my poll question. I meant what percentage will buy a Tesla CAR after driving the semi. I don't expect the truck drivers to buy Tesla Semis for themselves.

Sorry I missed that question, the guys I know that are owner operators, do not own a car themselves, they have a friend or spouses car to use...so from an owner operator standpoint there would be very few.... The fleet guys, are a different question, I will try to get the answer from one of the corporate guys at UPS

Reactions: gavine